Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Spell checkers, boon or bane? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spell checkers, boon or bane?
  They are great. They help me catch mistakes I would never be able to catch on my own.
  They encourage laziness and let homophones escape.
  They are good, but should not be used a substitute for proof reading.
View Results

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:55 pm
The spell checker is very useful in technical emails, so I set Word as my editor. I still use spell check when I write emails and proposals. But sometimes spell check flags a word that is correctly spelled or isn't in any dictionary. I have to print out and proofread what I write. There is no substitution for a good dictionary.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:05 pm
I don't like the spellcheck at all. It's a waste of time, and people could just proofread instead of being lazy, and using the damn spell-friggin'-checker.  

-The Insane Faerie-

4,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Ajith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:20 pm
What I generally end up doing is using my spell checker as I go. Then I'll undo what it corrected, and fix it myself until I've learned how to properly spell the word. It can be good sometimes for things like that, but it's a complete waste of time as far as grammar goes.

I also have a poem to share.

"Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew."  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:55 am
Spell checkers are at times a pain in the a**, because they dont read the sentence to see if the word fits right it is spelled; but not used correctly, and secondly it encourages laziness but also spares those that don't know how to pell the word correctly.  

Dante Omura

play it loud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:55 pm
It's useful when things like this occur:

Neccessary.

It may not compute at first, when looking at it. I mean, I used to have the problem of how many 'c's and how many 's's.

But it's one collar and two sleeves. =] Ok, I'm off subject, I know.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:13 pm
They are good, because they help people realize that they need to work on their spelling. They are also bad. Most people take the for granted. They use it all the time, and never learn.  

ch4nel

xXxTears_Of_A_VampirexXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:36 pm
Using a spell checker is not necessarily a horrible bad thing but yes, it dose promote laziness. Sometimes there not right and sometimes they don't even have the right word in the spell checker but for the people that can't spell very good. I think it helps alot for them.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
I think spell check is both a bane and a boon. It can be great when someone has access to it, but what if someone doesn't? Some people have relied on spell check so much that they probably don't even know how to proofread.  

Demonic Platypus

~cute~bunny~mule~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:03 pm
I love spell checkers but I think if you're writing a paper or something you should proofread the paper and then use a spell checker to make sure you got everything.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:48 am
Typically when I write, I used Wordpad, because it is easier (to open, etc., damn Word program), and I can catch mistakes myself, thank you, even if it does take a few extra proofreadings.

If I do use Word, I don't mind having spell-check on because like every human I do make mistakes. I hate when it says my grammar is wrong, though, when it is not, especially when it says that a perfectly fine sentence is a fragment.

Having said that, give me Wordpad any day. There is something comforting in being able to find my own mistakes.

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

Casey Stephens

Durem Duelist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:25 pm
I like spell check, but I agree that it shouldn't replace proof-reading because of its faults, and because of a need for more than a basic understanding of spelling and grammar.

I'm rather attached to spell check, as my spelling skills are far from the best. Besides that, when I type quickly, the words are often jumbled, like "teh" instead of "the". And when I proof-read, sometimes I skip over mistakes, mentally correcting them as I read them, but forgetting to actually make the edit. "Teh", to use the former example, would go virtually unnoticed by me, since I know I meant "the". It helps with the little things like that, which I would overlook.

But at the same time, spell check, the grammar portion specifically, does some pretty stupid things. It wants semi-colons where they obviously don't belong, and has a terribly skewed perception of a sentence fragment.

I don't see how it could possibly encourage laziness. Really. If anything, I think it'd encourage any really lazy people to spell correctly, so they don't have to go back and fix stuff or deal with the annoying red squiggly lines beneath words. I don't know. I just can't find the connection between laziness and spell check.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:03 pm
Personally I love them. I started geting in tothe habit of typing in proper english but sometimes I make mistake I probably would have missed by proof reading. For instance soemtimes and sometimes.  

d-a-r-k-s-h-y

Captain Purpleheart

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:22 pm
I usually proof read my stuff as well. I don't like it that much because sometimes it doesn't catch grammar mistakes. Usually only things like the passive voice and stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:07 am
The Vampire Ruler
Spell checkers are at times a pain in the a**, because they dont read the sentence to see if the word fits right it is spelled; but not used correctly, and secondly it encourages laziness but also spares those that don't know how to pell the word correctly.

Don't has an apostrophe in it.
it is spelled does not make sense in your first sentence.
In your last sentence you spelled "spell" wrong.
You may need to proofread your sentences a little more before you just post stare

2. They do proofread youe sentences now. I for a fact do proofread but when I have a report i need to finish I'm typing pretty fast and tend to miss common errors.  

d-a-r-k-s-h-y

MakanaVermillion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:54 pm
I usually only use spell check to catch spelling errors whenever I type too fast but I never depend on it. I tell people spell check only checks to see if the word is spelled correctly or is in the dictionary. I say that it's a good help aid but to be totally dependent on it is asking for trouble. I've proofread too many papers that have been ruined because they have only checked to see if the word is spelled correctly, not if they're using the right word. It creates laziness only to those who don't like writing or wish to excel in it.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff