Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
How did you find your Patron? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

numeera

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:36 am
Bump  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:59 am
To fix my above Bump:

I haven't found my patron yet, but I'm becoming more and more curious about who it could be. It feels kind of weird, but I feel like I'm more likely to have a goddess, as it's the females that I'm most drawn to. I just haven't figured out which one(s). smile

Also, does anyone use a specific kind of visualization or ritual to connect with their patron, or is that one of those really personal things?  

numeera

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:31 am
numeera
To fix my above Bump:

I haven't found my patron yet, but I'm becoming more and more curious about who it could be. It feels kind of weird, but I feel like I'm more likely to have a goddess, as it's the females that I'm most drawn to. I just haven't figured out which one(s). smile

Also, does anyone use a specific kind of visualization or ritual to connect with their patron, or is that one of those really personal things?

Typically when a patron chooses you they'll make it clear in what ways they wish to be contacted, or how you may get to know them further. Since we don't get to choose our patrons, you pretty much just have to wait and see. And not everyone will have one - having a patron means effectively you have been chosen by them for service, which in effect is all about them, and generally not at all about you. It is both a huge commitment, and a life-altering event. Not everyone is suited to that level of devotion.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:50 am
Morgandria
numeera
To fix my above Bump:

Typically when a patron chooses you they'll make it clear in what ways they wish to be contacted, or how you may get to know them further. Since we don't get to choose our patrons, you pretty much just have to wait and see. And not everyone will have one - having a patron means effectively you have been chosen by them for service, which in effect is all about them, and generally not at all about you. It is both a huge commitment, and a life-altering event. Not everyone is suited to that level of devotion.

I see your point. I know I'm not quite ready for that yet, I'm still working on the basics. sweatdrop  

numeera

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:28 am
numeera
I see your point. I know I'm not quite ready for that yet, I'm still working on the basics. sweatdrop

It's cool. Relax, and take your time.

I think part of the whole "patron" thing is a sense of stabilising, of finding one's feet or one's path, which is attractive when you're just floating around without a specific on yet. Especially for an eclectic Pagan, it gives you sort of a point to orient yourself, and a way to identify both for yourself and others.

Of course this is a poor reason to go looking for a patron specifically, but I can understand the sort of desire to do so. Many people identify to others by referencing the gods they are close to. But, those relationships still have to be built like any relationship biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:50 am
What does it mean to have a patron? What is the purpose? I don't really understand.  

Alkalune

Lily-livered Lunatic

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:18 pm
Alkalune
What does it mean to have a patron? What is the purpose? I don't really understand.
From my understanding a Patron deity is the god or goddess that you have been called to devote yourself to.

I think of as like way back when, and even now, priests and priestesses. They've been called to serve a specific deity. Like I had one spirit claim that she used to live in a temple and had devoted herself to serving Ma'at(as the goddess not just the ethical concept) so Ma'at would have been her Patron.

That's just my understanding of it. I could be wrong. Sang and the others can correct me if I'm wrong.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:27 pm
It helps if you understand the concept of a patron in general. Patronage is a privilege, support, or encouragement bestowed upon someone from another person or organization. Famous artists throughout history have had patronage; the support of a noble house or family, who in turn asks the artist to create for that family exclusively. Patronage represents exactly that - an exclusive relationship, where there is an exchange of goods or services to both party's benefit.

Patronage involving deities is similar. It is a relationship initiated by the patron - the deity - and in return for the individual's service to their patron, they are given privilege, support, and encouragement by that deity. Patronage can be demanding - you have essentially sworn to be that particular deity's sworn priesthood - so it is not a relationship to be sought out lightly. You provide service to your patron, and they reward you with aid, guidance, and experiences.

People often assume they choose their patrons. However, in practice it is generally the deity's choice - no amount of petitioning or attention from an individual will cause or force a deity to take them on. If the deity in question has already determined they do not want this individual's attention or service, they may get annoyed or angered and react accordingly.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 pm
Morgandria
It helps if you understand the concept of a patron in general. Patronage is a privilege, support, or encouragement bestowed upon someone from another person or organization. Famous artists throughout history have had patronage; the support of a noble house or family, who in turn asks the artist to create for that family exclusively. Patronage represents exactly that - an exclusive relationship, where there is an exchange of goods or services to both party's benefit.

Patronage involving deities is similar. It is a relationship initiated by the patron - the deity - and in return for the individual's service to their patron, they are given privilege, support, and encouragement by that deity. Patronage can be demanding - you have essentially sworn to be that particular deity's sworn priesthood - so it is not a relationship to be sought out lightly. You provide service to your patron, and they reward you with aid, guidance, and experiences.

People often assume they choose their patrons. However, in practice it is generally the deity's choice - no amount of petitioning or attention from an individual will cause or force a deity to take them on. If the deity in question has already determined they do not want this individual's attention or service, they may get annoyed or angered and react accordingly.
So in a nutshell I've been right thinking its like a person being called by a deity to be a priest or priestess to that deity?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:48 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
So in a nutshell I've been right thinking its like a person being called by a deity to be a priest or priestess to that deity?

Pretty much. It's possible to act as clergy for a deity or pantheon without being a member of an organized religious body. You just have to bear in mind that you'll be operating primarily off UPG, and members of organized faiths may not recognize you as having priestly standing because you have no formal education, training or ordination/initiation.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:45 pm
Morgandria
Pretty much. It's possible to act as clergy for a deity or pantheon without being a member of an organized religious body. You just have to bear in mind that you'll be operating primarily off UPG, and members of organized faiths may not recognize you as having priestly standing because you have no formal education, training or ordination/initiation.
I understand how a person wouldn't be recognized as such. Personally I'd probably think that people that were trying to be loud and actually try to do something clergy wise without being part of an organized religious body would more or less be dishonoring their Patron.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:08 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

In other kinds of paganism, Patrons are less exclusive and people have Patron relationships with Gods who they worship, but aren't clergy to.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 pm
Esiris
In other kinds of paganism, Patrons are less exclusive and people have Patron relationships with Gods who they worship, but aren't clergy to.
By any chance do you happen to know which ones? Or at least some of them?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:55 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Esiris
By any chance do you happen to know which ones? Or at least some of them?

I think the Hellenics- like Hera is a patron of marriage, but married people worship her and have her as a patron of one part in their life- but they're not clergy.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:47 pm
That's a similar kind of patronage to certain saints overlooking members of certain professions, or areas, or illnesses, etc. They're patrons of a particular thing that may apply to many, rather than the more personal patronage that can occur.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games