Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Deities Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:25 am
Sanguina Cruenta
It's more symbolic of the body controlling the mind, I think, of wildness and lust over intellect or love.

That fits with what I was reading. 3nodding

The Nymph who became the reeds was named Syrinx.  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:34 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Chrono-Trigger-2012
HorsesOfTheNight
Azareas Aquarinus
HorsesOfTheNight

Could you explain again why you feel connected to Pan? What draws you to him? What do you know about him? I'm just curious.

I'm not sure what draws me to him. I just know we both share a love for music.

Pan does have a love for music. He is also the Greek god of flocks, shepards, and nature. Pan is the god of lonely and desolate scenes, such as mountain countries. Also, he is associated with sudden causeless fear. He also gets along with Dionysus.

Source: Myths and their Meaning by Max J. Herzberg

Isn't Pan also a god of male sexuality as well? I remember reading something about him, where most figures of him have rather large phallus.

And I remember the story of how Pan created the reed flutes. He was chasing after a beautiful nymph, and she turned herself into the reeds, so he collected the reeds and made them into his flute. I can't remember the nymph's name in the story... sweatdrop

I think it's more fertility than male sexuality, if you felt like making that distinction. I think it has to do with the symbolism of the phallus in Greek art. Look at statues of Heracles, and note the surprisingly small p***s. Satyrs all had those large erect phalli as well. It's more symbolic of the body controlling the mind, I think, of wildness and lust over intellect or love.

Sound's like my kind of god :3 Except I don't really deal with the fertility aspect as much....as I don't plan on ever producing offspring... rofl  

Chrono-Trigger-2012

Chrono-Trigger-2012

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:35 pm
Esiris
Sanguina Cruenta
It's more symbolic of the body controlling the mind, I think, of wildness and lust over intellect or love.

That fits with what I was reading. 3nodding

The Nymph who became the reeds was named Syrinx.

Ah! That's what I thought it was...but I wasn't entirely sure.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:25 pm
what you said could easily be offensive to italian witchcraft practioners! i have incorporated stregheria elements into my practice and i still hold Aradia as a goddess, albeit a maiden goddess but a goddess nonetheless, and also, Hecate is a triple goddess herself, maiden mother AND crone!

i am sorry if i sound angry i am just making a point smile blessed be  

xX-Heathenborn-Xx

Ren LehCrow

Amorous Lovergirl

7,100 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:42 pm
circlelord13
what you said could easily be offensive to italian witchcraft practioners! i have incorporated stregheria elements into my practice and i still hold Aradia as a goddess, albeit a maiden goddess but a goddess nonetheless, and also, Hecate is a triple goddess herself, maiden mother AND crone!

Hi, sorry, I've been skimming this thread and was just wondering who this post was a reply to. I ask because I want to know what could be considered an insult to Italian witches so that I don't unwittingly make the same mistake.

Along the same lines of unwittingly upsetting other types of witches... are you aware of the different meanings of the phrase "blessed be" and how using it as a salutation or a way of signing your posts could also be seen as an insult?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:49 pm
circlelord13

Hekate is a triple goddess but like all historical triple goddesses she is NOT maiden, mother and crone. Maiden only I'm afraid. She has three faces because she looks down the three ways of a crossroads.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:18 pm
circlelord13

Maiden-Mother-Crone is a modern goddess construct popularized by Graves' The White Goddess. It's common in eclectic neo-pagan and new-age use, but, as San pointed out already it's nowhere near historical, being less than 100 years old. There are triplicate goddess forms out there from antiquity - but few, if any of them, fit into the MMC construct, and many of them are not compatible with a soft-polytheistic viewpoint.

Hecate is a maiden, if you look at the original Hellenic source material.

For the record:

Some people like to use phrases like 'Blessed Be', 'So Mote it Be', 'Merry Meet', and 'Merry Part', when talking to other pagans online. However, don't be surprised if someone asks you not to, or might possibly be offended by your doing so.

These phrases are ritual language. That is to say, they are phrases used within the structure of Wiccan ritual for very specific purposes, and outside of that context they may be meaningless, or incorrectly applied. Some Wiccans feel that using them out of context cheapens or degrades their sacredness. Others may not feel as strongly.

'Blessed Be' is a very specific blessing. It's not a greeting or a parting, and by using it as such you're showing you don't know what it means, or that you don't value its' importance to Wiccans.

Also, amongst initiated Wiccans, there is very much a feeling that people who pepper their speech or writing with these phrases are trying hard -too hard, really- to fit into a subculture they feel insecure about. We all know people who overuse the jargon for certain groups or interests in order to look experienced or knowledgeable...but quite often it's too much the other way, and you end up looking like a noob. My own experience as a Wiccan has been so.

There's nothing wrong with just talking to other pagans, or specifically Wiccans, like you would anyone else. "Hi" and "TTYL" work just fine, and they're not going to upset anyone or make you look over-enthusiastic.

I don't know if you knew this before now. It's ok to not know these sorts of things. Valid, factual information about Wicca, and especially Wiccan practice, can be very thin on the ground for non-initiates. But once you do know the facts, there's no reason not to act on them. If you'd like people to respect your path, please return the favour by not misusing other peoples'.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:02 am
My relatives have been mostly Christian or Catholic (the practicing strega as far as our family history can tell us, anyway). There was never any mention from either of my grandmothers about outside deities they followed.  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

xX-Heathenborn-Xx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:35 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
circlelord13

Hekate is a triple goddess but like all historical triple goddesses she is NOT maiden, mother and crone. Maiden only I'm afraid. She has three faces because she looks down the three ways of a crossroads.

oh... i thought Diana in Etruscan folklore had three epithets or faces and one was a maiden (proserpina), a mother (Diana), and Hecate the crone of death life and ressurection and the crossroads.....  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:45 pm
Ren LehCrow
circlelord13

Hi, sorry, I've been skimming this thread and was just wondering who this post was a reply to. I ask because I want to know what could be considered an insult to Italian witches so that I don't unwittingly make the same mistake.

Along the same lines of unwittingly upsetting other types of witches... are you aware of the different meanings of the phrase "blessed be" and how using it as a salutation or a way of signing your posts could also be seen as an insult?

well to me, blessed be means a short version of may the gods bless you biggrin
and yes, these are the major no no's,

1. NEVER CALL A MALE WITCH A WARLOCK!
2. never say a witch worships a deity or entity known as satan,
3. never call a restructionist pagan a "neopagan"
4. an insult to any italian witch would be to say Aradia is not a Goddess...
yes Aradia was mortal in one way, but then again so was "jesus"
the goddess diana went down to Earth being born as the goddess Aradia
who taught Witchcraft to the opressed people of Italy!
5. basically dont try to convert a witch, or say anything that would offend any basic person... biggrin  

xX-Heathenborn-Xx

xX-Heathenborn-Xx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:52 pm
Morgandria
circlelord13

Maiden-Mother-Crone is a modern goddess construct popularized by Graves' The White Goddess. It's common in eclectic neo-pagan and new-age use, but, as San pointed out already it's nowhere near historical, being less than 100 years old. There are triplicate goddess forms out there from antiquity - but few, if any of them, fit into the MMC construct, and many of them are not compatible with a soft-polytheistic viewpoint.

Hecate is a maiden, if you look at the original Hellenic source material.

For the record:

Some people like to use phrases like 'Blessed Be', 'So Mote it Be', 'Merry Meet', and 'Merry Part', when talking to other pagans online. However, don't be surprised if someone asks you not to, or might possibly be offended by your doing so.

These phrases are ritual language. That is to say, they are phrases used within the structure of Wiccan ritual for very specific purposes, and outside of that context they may be meaningless, or incorrectly applied. Some Wiccans feel that using them out of context cheapens or degrades their sacredness. Others may not feel as strongly.

'Blessed Be' is a very specific blessing. It's not a greeting or a parting, and by using it as such you're showing you don't know what it means, or that you don't value its' importance to Wiccans.

Also, amongst initiated Wiccans, there is very much a feeling that people who pepper their speech or writing with these phrases are trying hard -too hard, really- to fit into a subculture they feel insecure about. We all know people who overuse the jargon for certain groups or interests in order to look experienced or knowledgeable...but quite often it's too much the other way, and you end up looking like a noob. My own experience as a Wiccan has been so.

There's nothing wrong with just talking to other pagans, or specifically Wiccans, like you would anyone else. "Hi" and "TTYL" work just fine, and they're not going to upset anyone or make you look over-enthusiastic.

I don't know if you knew this before now. It's ok to not know these sorts of things. Valid, factual information about Wicca, and especially Wiccan practice, can be very thin on the ground for non-initiates. But once you do know the facts, there's no reason not to act on them. If you'd like people to respect your path, please return the favour by not misusing other peoples'.

ok then, i apologize for offending you if i did, i am a witch, not a wiccan, i am not gardnerian, so true, i am not initiated into "true" Wicca,
as i said earlier, i practice a basically stregherian practice, with bits and pieces of italian folk magick.
i study and i have made a commitment to the gods to be initiated as a stregone when i am of the age..... and i never said i was a wiccan..... and there are other paths in Wicca, not just Gardnerian  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:56 pm
circlelord13
Sanguina Cruenta
circlelord13

oh... i thought Diana in Etruscan folklore had three epithets or faces and one was a maiden (proserpina), a mother (Diana), and Hecate the crone of death life and ressurection and the crossroads.....

Proserpina I don't recall having children but she totally got laid. Hekate is a Greek import for sure, same name and everything, and she's totally a maiden. So Etruscan folklore is weird if that's the case. However it seems unlikely because the MMC concept is a modern one. Your source took it from Robert Graves.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:01 pm
circlelord13

What if they DO worship Satan?

Quote:

Actually many of us don't mind that. We ARE Neo-Pagans, because we're not Palaeo-Pagans; our practice is not interrupted. We may be trying to reconstruct but things must be done differently and much is lost.

Quote:

What are your sources?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:19 pm
circlelord13

I think its really just don't say ALL witches worship Satan.

Quote:

Its really only an insult if the Pagan takes the word "Pagan" as an insult because of where the word came from.
Neopaganism means New Paganism.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

xX-Heathenborn-Xx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:20 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
circlelord13

What if they DO worship Satan?

Quote:

Actually many of us don't mind that. We ARE Neo-Pagans, because we're not Palaeo-Pagans; our practice is not interrupted. We may be trying to reconstruct but things must be done differently and much is lost.

Quote:

What are your sources?

1. if a witch does worship satan, then they are not witches they are usually referred to as Black Magickians...

2.most of my sources for Aradia come from Raven Grimassi and Aradia the gospel of the Witches,

3. BY THE GODS I WISH I WAS A PALEO-PAGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i want to be because then i would actually see the true teachings of that time....  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games