Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
When the teachers of schools 'txt tlk'... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wrong?
  Yeah.
View Results

blueturnsgrey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:35 pm
My religion teacher has the most atrocious spelling and grammar. He actually said, "Were she?" when questioning a student about where another girl went for vacation. It went something like:

"She was in Florida!"
"Were she?"

It made me cringe. But then I felt bad about that.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:24 am
"Txt talk" makes me shudder. Luckily, my computer opetrations teacher would never let us type like that. He said that only real losers type like that. Hehe! biggrin  

HERO Lissuh

Deyvon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:13 am
In the teachers defense, have you ever tried to write on smart board? Those guys are horrid. I don't care if I have my PhD in English I am going to write on a smart board in text talk or at least some form of short hand.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:10 am
Teachers should be agaisnt text talk! If they think they are hip, or groovy, or in the croud, beacuse they use text talk, during their job, then they are wrong. Everyone here should agree, text talkers are people with no vocabulary, teachers are here to teach kids vocabulary, so it pains me to even hear of a text-talk-teacher!

"tchrs shud b gnst txt tlk if thy thnk thy r hp or grvy or in da crd bcuz thy uz txt tlk drng thr jb thn thy r rng. Evry1 hr shud agre txt tlkrs r ppl wit 0 vcblry tchrs r hr 2 tch vcblry so ti pns meh 2 vn hr ov a txt tlk tchr!"

The text talk version took me almost 10 minutes to write, If you have a vocabulary, don't try this at home! I need to cry now that I have used such a great quantity of text talk.

stressed crying sweatdrop eek

Angelic-Sargeant

Natsuri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:41 am
La Diavola
Oi! How do some people become teachers, huh? A teacher who has trouble spelling is one thing, but a teacher who uses 'txt tlk' is just sad. Whatever happened to teachers teaching?

Someone said something about their teacher allowing them to write essays in text talk. That fact makes me want to curl up and die. How do you even write and essay with that?! "7h1s 1s my 3$$@y." Ow. Just that sentence hurt my brain. >_<;;

Speaking of which, I written a small segment of text talk, thankfully, in one of my stories that I'm working on. Just typing those few short sentences with uncapitalized "I's" and wrecking the entire structure gashed me enough as it is! gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:37 pm
I have a teacher like that. He thinks it makes him "hip". Everyone but me likes it. I can't understand it!  

datzRENTHEAD2ya

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:46 pm
Dear God...a teacher who has a college education did that. I might as well learn leet or text talk and write my novels in that format. In a few years, there will be few who will normally read it. *sigh*  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:05 am
eek Oh...my...goodness...What is this world coming to?!?!? Text talk fries my brain. xp I can't believe teachers are letting people write like that!!

It makes me want to kill myself. emo  

The Lady Narcissa

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:31 am
Sometimes I wish I could just rope everyone together in the assembly hall and give them a lecture about the English language. Who cares if they hate me because of it? It's for a good cause. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:38 pm
dameonmac5918
Dear God...a teacher who has a college education did that. I might as well learn leet or text talk and write my novels in that format. In a few years, there will be few who will normally read it. *sigh*

Kinda like the time where Orwell predicted that Newspeak will eclipse Standard English in a matter of decades. Could this be what he was talking about??? question  

Natsuri

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:30 am
Natsuri
dameonmac5918

Kinda like the time where Orwell predicted that Newspeak will eclipse Standard English in a matter of decades. Could this be what he was talking about??? question

I suspect so. This is also what I'm basing my novel on, and the similarities scare me much, because I had no idea how big a problem illiteracy or text talking was until I came on here, and I began to write my novel way before I came on here. And now...I think my novel is coming true. eek  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:20 am
The Demonic Dork
My teacher tells us that we can write in txt tlk.

That is awful...

While we're at it, why don't we just use Riddley Walker to teach kids proper spelling and grammar?

Honestly, schools are supposed to teach children the proper way to do things, not allow them to practice improper ways. It would be like allowing kids to submit homework where they say that 9+9=99 without marking them wrong or correcting them.

My goodness. The more I hear about the public school system, the more I think it might just be best to homeschool my children.  

Kukushka

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:12 pm
When I have kids (now THAT'S a scary thought) I probably WILL homeschool them.

But then again, my husband had better be good at math. Because I sure as the sky is wide can't teach ANYONE math.

blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:07 am
Is this the result of the "No childe leaft beehind" act?

I don't understand what possessed whoever decided to not teach grammar in English class. Honestly, I have to give credit for my understanding of grammar to the fact that I went through grade school in French. In French class we learned grammar, and I managed to transfer that knowledge to my understanding of English. In English class we hardly ever did anything related to grammar.

What you guys are describing here is an atrocity to the language! It also means students are going to have an even harder time learning new languages because they won't have the understanding of their own language to refer to.

Edit : Apparently, I can't spell 'atrocity' correctly... (originally wrote 'attrocity')  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Taia Aisling

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:06 am
Txt-tlk teachers make my brain hurt. I have one. And she wrote in my turned-in assignment something with "lol" in it, which doesn't bother me nearly as much as the three spelling errors and couple of shortcuts. Not to mention she's a gifted teacher and in class needs someone else to help her spell out what she's writing.

(Like Oddysseus.)

For that matter, she's my social studies teacher -and- gifted coordinator for my school... she should at least be able to spell out what she's teaching, not then get into acronyms. (Cause I don't like shortcuts coming back from my assignments that I worked so hard on.)

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff