Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words that should not be misused Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should we strive for words to be used correctly?
  Of course!!
  No, what's the point?
View Results

Tonberry Teh Haxxor

Dapper Dabbler

5,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:48 pm
Mangabrary
I, personally, dislike it when people use 'gay' in the wrong context. Such as:

"That's so gay!"

I think it should only be used when describing someone who actually is gay, or in the sense of jovial. "Don we now our gay apparell."
Another word I feel is misused is 'retarded'. It's just rude to use the term so lightly, especially to those of us with relatives or friends who are actually retarded. Generally, in my experience, 'retarded' and 'gay' are used in the same way. Since I'm in junior high school students will use them to describe something they dislike.

The last word I'm mentioning right now is 'Nazi'. 'Nazi' is a term that should not be taken lightly, as it has such a dark history. The nazis were people who did terrible things, that should never be repeated. Whenever someone says something like "I'm the (insert something or other here) Nazi!" it's taking a heavy term so lightly. Maybe it's just some of my own personal experiences. I've had people hate me merely because I'm german (the person in question was jewish, his mother had been in a concentration camp). So, to me, 'Nazi' is not a term to be taken as lightly as it is.
2 arguments about this.1: The Nazi Party of Austria did not believe in the extinction of the jews as a group, it was Hitler.
2:Retarded means something is held back or hindered in some way. When someone is retarded, they are hindered.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:50 pm
My favorite word is 'Wanker' I don't know why, it just is and it is hard to misuse it. lol  

Tonberry Teh Haxxor

Dapper Dabbler

5,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

-SinRepentRepeat-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:56 am
There is one word, in the history of ALL words, that bothers me so much that every time I hear it, I want to rip my ears off.
Commonly referred to as the 'c' word.
I will not type it out, but I'm sure most of you know which word I am talking about already.
Personally, I think it's a very nasty word.
I don't get how people can say that, yet they won't say 'v****a.'

It's just a gross word. D:

I also love how miscellaneous people on the internet claim to be a 'c' word.
They're just calling themselves a v****a.
I don't get it. -___-;

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:12 am
I would like to clarify the words "sex" and "gender". Sex is the biological thing... It is either you are born with a p***s or a v****a... Gender, on the other hand, is the the role you would want to play in the society...
So if people ask you "what is your gender?" that statement is incorrect...
You should say "what is your sex?"...
-JanGab  

jangab

Tezur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:06 pm
Many kids say these things inappropriately because they get it from their own parents, who were most likely annoying little twerps that said those things as well when they were young. Don't assume that's entirely correct though. xd

So anyway, "No s**t Sherlock" is a phrase that bothers me, since it roughly translates into "That's obvious, smartypants." Sherlock can be highly misleading and make you think you're a Sherlock wannabe, albeit very unsuccessful at it. Adding "no s**t" only adds insult to injury, implying a dumb person can outwit you.

And don't think I do not know about this, because some guy on another forum typed it when I implied something obvious without understanding about it. I know I shouldn't state the obvious, but it just really ticks me off when I do and never meant it in the first place. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:45 am
Random, I realize, but I hate it when people say "I could care less" about something. It just doesn't make sense. I had this argument with my mom before. If I *could* care less about something, then I obviously care about it at least a little bit, right? Shouldn't it be "I couldn't care less"?

Most of the others that bug me have already been covererd, wink  

ChibiStarlet

starblazer66

4,700 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Mustangs_Mistress
There is one word, in the history of ALL words, that bothers me so much that every time I hear it, I want to rip my ears off.
Commonly referred to as the 'c' word.
I will not type it out, but I'm sure most of you know which word I am talking about already.
Personally, I think it's a very nasty word.
I don't get how people can say that, yet they won't say 'v****a.'

It's just a gross word. D:

I also love how miscellaneous people on the internet claim to be a 'c' word.
They're just calling themselves a v****a.
I don't get it. -___-;

I find nothing wrong w/ the 'c' word as you put it. I rarely hear it used, in all actuality. I also have no problem saying 'v****a' though its slang name 'p***y is hard for me to say when I'm not angry.

The only words that I hate hearing people use are 'hispanic' 'retarded' and the 'n'word. Hispanic is a word that I do not use out of respect for the many latinos that I have acknowledged and who I know to have a strong dislike towards the word. Retarded, I feel, should only be used when describing developmental and lastly, the 'n' word I find offensive no matter who says it or how it is spelled.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 pm
Mangabrary
lola_siannodel
Kohy
Changing one word with another such as 'fanatic' doesn't make anything better, be it how dark the word 'Nazi' really is, as I would know people who would still get upset with the term 'fanatic' since it is just away to show how crazy they are over something.

There are a multiple of words misused, all used in the sense of bad-talking another person. I personally hate it when someone calls a woman 'b*tch'. And therefore instead of saying words misused such as 'gay' or 'retard' and so forth, are terrible and shouldn't be used, I think we should just refrain from calling someone something 'demeaning' in general. It would make everyone a happier person in the end.

I hate calling a woman a b***h, and acting like that's alright. I hate it when I talk to a girl, and she asks me about something, I refuse to answer, and she would ask "Why, b***h?". Yeah, that's why. A b***h is a female dog, or unpleasent woman. Not one's girlfriend (which, if it could be concidered derogitory, like saying that she's your sex object. Girls, if your boyfriend calls you a b***h, dump his a**, and do it in the most humiliating why possible.), and you shouldn't call your friend that (I, personaly, consider it an insult). I've been called a b***h by my ex after he asked for sex (and I refused). It's not a good word.

I also see 'Nazi' and 'communist' thrown around all the time. Usualy, by ignorant, older men who probably where too full of themselves and how they are beter. I also hate people who think that certain capitalist countries are communist (Japan is one. Russia, too, which is now a democracy.). Using 'Nazi' to describe someone who is not a Nazi is just taking it lightly. I also get annoyed when people compare Bush to Hitler, and say Bush is worse. Now, I'm not a Bush fan, but he's no where near as bad as Hitler.
I'm with you on that. I really dislike Bush but, come on people! You don't see him murdering hundreds of thousands of Jews!

That would be because it's not Jews Bush is murdering. While not a completely valid comparison because of the difference in methods and severity, I can see why someone may make it given some of what's going on.

I agree that "gay" and "retard" are words that are used out of context way too often. My main irritation with those is that there are so many other words one could use in their place without sounding callous. Usually when a person says something is "retarded" I take that to mean the person using the word is actually the one with impaired mantal abilities.

b*****d doesn't bother me so much as it confuses me. It originally meant "a person born of unmarried parents; an illegitimate child." That used to be insult enough way back when. Now it's got a slang meaning in order to adapt it to it's current use as an insult.

Words that have gradually changed meanings over the years bother me. For example, "thong" used to be what flip flops were called, not a teensy scrap of cloth people claim is underwear.

Saying "whatever." If whatever is all you have to say, I would prefer you said nothing.  

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100

starblazer66

4,700 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:14 pm
I sometimes thing as myself as a gay b*****d but not in the conventional way people see gay as.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:59 am
K8.Edid
How about "y'all?" That one just really gets on my nerves.

Haha. Trust me, I know the feeling. I live here in Alabama... *sigh*
Everyone says Y'all. I guess they don't mind being illiterate and sounding ignorant.  

VampiraAlicia

Pure_Sango

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:41 pm
Lt. Brookman
I strongly dislike the use of the word "cancer". It may not have the same hard meaning as in the Netherlands (Seeing is in cases of English speking people you can have it, or be one)

But in my country it's just a word for a nasty and undeserving disease. The Dutch word is also a tad more harsher I guess. But it's not nice to read it in English as well. Using such diseases in insults or as casual banter is not nice, not at all.

I'd blame Seinfeld for coining the "nazi" term, he started it with his infamous "soup nazi" remark.

I lived in the Netherlands for five years, and all the kids in my third elementary school there used it to insult each other (but then again, they always used such vulgar words as s**t, b*****d, and retard as well). I always wondered if they even knew what they were talking about, since they were only 9-12-ish. Maybe they were ignorant to the meaning? Who knows.

I hate it when people use swear word after swear word in a single sentance. Especially when it's mixed in with slang. I feel like pounding my head into the wall repeatingly. If you let one slip it's fine, but using it constantly! That's just annoying.

I also strongly dislike 'Y'all'. I don't know why, it just bothers me.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:16 am
I happen to work in a restaurant with co-workers from all over Asia - as one of two people whose first language is English. I'm fairly gentle about my corrections as a result, but there exist a few slips I never ignore.

Besides precede v. proceed, anyway.

They are, in no particular order:
-Good (adj.) v. Well (adv).
-"She invited him and I" should be "She invited him and me"
-Sarcastic v. Ironic. Sarcasm is meant to be hurtful. Irony isn't.
-Over-exaggerated. Seriously, it's already exaggerated. That's redundant.
-His/Her vs. their. He or she has a gender. He or she has a sex. They're a group.  

Sanami2315

Imsomewhatspiffy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:03 pm
"whatever"
"fine" this one is something of mine, you wouldn't understand without a long explanation
"like, so totally"
"silly"
"wacky"
I especially hate when people refer to something they dislike as "Gay" or "Retarded" How would you like it if I shoved a railroad spike up your a**? that had nothing to do with people making offensive jokes, but it felt good.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:12 pm
The word 'ignorant' is overused. People must realize that ignorant is not the same as stupid.  

Aliciono

turtles rock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:58 pm
K8.Edid
How about "y'all?" That one just really gets on my nerves.

Oh wow, I never thought "ya'll" would come into this discussion.
I'm from Texas, so "ya'll" is a word I frequently use. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with using the word "ya'll." It's just a shorter way of saying "you all" or "you guys." So basically, it's a contraction.

If there's any word I cannot stand is when people call soda "pop."
As in, "Hey! Can you please get me a pop from the fridge?"
"Pop" just sounds really old school, and everytime I hear it, it rubs me the wrong way.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff