Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Goth means I can't get a job? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Another stupid topic?
  Yes, your last one was too...
  *shrugs* Maybe, depends on how I feel today.
  No, it touches on the subject of being mean because of clothes.
  Don't care, why should you..
View Results

WeissVicious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:26 pm
*reads first post* that really sucks...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:42 pm
Its easy you simply dress professional to the interview and slowly intorduce your style into it they cant "legally" fire you because of your clothing style so yeah but if it breaks uniform then yeh  

Vampire Ruler

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:04 pm
Well, when it comes down to it, its discrimination based on appearance and that's illegal, regardless of the stereotype. If they won't give you a job because of the way you look, rather than your qualifications, that's against the law. Unless of course, you and the other person had the EXACT same qualifications and the other person just looked more..."presentable" then that's ok, but otherwise that's discrimination. And that's NOT cool....  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:08 am
I can't really say that I hate the principle 'Dress for Success', but it's a necessary evil of the working world. I dunno how this works in the world, nor do I understand why.  

Royoka

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:50 pm
Vampire Ruler
Its easy you simply dress professional to the interview and slowly intorduce your style into it they cant "legally" fire you because of your clothing style so yeah but if it breaks uniform then yeh

Actually, so long as it isn't sexual, political, racial, or religious discrimination, an employer can fire (or not hire) an employee for any or no reason. Including style of dress.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:55 pm
storyfromthestars
Well, when it comes down to it, its discrimination based on appearance and that's illegal, regardless of the stereotype. If they won't give you a job because of the way you look, rather than your qualifications, that's against the law. Unless of course, you and the other person had the EXACT same qualifications and the other person just looked more..."presentable" then that's ok, but otherwise that's discrimination. And that's NOT cool....

Actually, so long as it isn't sexual, political, racial, or religious discrimination, an employer can fire (or not hire) an employee for any or no reason. Including style of dress.  

GilAskan
Crew

GreedsLittleEdo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:02 pm
Whoa.. wait a minute, the guy said that to you in the interview for a job being an vet right? You know you could sue him for that.. But for jobs and crap, you can't wearing all the picerings, the black clothes, your hair funky colors at all, no tattoo's showing. Well unless your going to work in a factory, they don't care. Job's like that you have to. It sucks yea.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:55 pm
We rape, huh?

That's new rolleyes  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Alex_nightmare

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:44 pm
I agree with everyone on how you dress, but that guy was a real a**. He had no right to say those things to you, and you have every right to have that job as everyone else. and wtf? People get raped all the time because some people are just sick little horny bastards who can't get layed, not because their gothic. mad  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:27 pm
Soriana Leo
Really, what don't I have that the othnet girl with more colorful clothes has? I don't have tattoo's, nor more then one peircing on each ear. Why dose being Gothic restrick me from being a Vetrinarian? I don't want to be a Tattoo artist, or a Hot Topic employee. I want to work with animals and yet I'm shunned because I ware a black and sometimes a bit of color. It's not like I cut myself, nor do I stab anyone with a pencil *rolls eyes* Thats what the guy said in the interview, b*****d.

"Gothics are depressed people, they cut themselfs and will rape you if your not careful!" Yeah, right, I know people get raped, but its not the Gothics! Rwar! D:

I haven't had a chance to read the other replys. But deary, you need to sue. Why? Because that's discrimination, and if he said something that leads you to believe that he didn't hire you because of the fact that you're goth, then you have enough to sue.

You have every right to that job as does everyone else.

I totally understand what you are saying. In fact, the whole issue could be turned around on the Hot Topic business as well. I am not 'gothic' persay. I'm just a simple person who likes the style (but cant afford it) and who enjoys the company of those who are goth (however you want to catagorize or describe them). I, however, was denied a job to hot topic because I did not carry the look. At the time, I did not have any tattoo's, piercings, or particular hair style. So then, I was denied, which is wrong. They did not say that the reason for my denial was my appearance, but it was and is quite obvious if you simply look at those who currently work there. Right now, if i wanted to get a job there i would probably be able to. Maybe. My clothing use to all be black, but i have a lot of other stuff I like to wear too. So it goes on them as well.

You have the right to get the job you want, and you have the right if you feel you are being discriminated against to sue. smile

I really hope this helps.

SaiBlackNight

Perestroyka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:42 pm
It's hard to get a job if you look different, especially if you live in a rural area like I do where there are very few of us about. As a general rule, you'll find tech and 'arty' jobs more accepting of your appearanc ethan most. Check out Corp. goths for tips on blending in and still being you. Bend the rules; don't break them.

Soceity is afraid of people that are different, if you can't handle this sort of thing then don't dress like this.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:02 pm
In most cases, Its only the fear of scaring away the customers, or being in a situation where as the care taker of the patient, in your case, would not trust leaving the pet in your hands.

And there is always the offchance that theyre just too idiotic to sense that your willingness to get a job (a complicated one as a matter of fact) would more than make up for your style of dress.

Ive been working at a company for 3 years and it just so happens I am their best employee.

No one enjoyed my presence in my first weeks, but I completely showed them up in their ignorance with my ability to succeed.  

Neo-Silicate

Shade RazorKiss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:54 am
Soriana Leo
Really, what don't I have that the othnet girl with more colorful clothes has? I don't have tattoo's, nor more then one peircing on each ear. Why dose being Gothic restrick me from being a Vetrinarian? I don't want to be a Tattoo artist, or a Hot Topic employee. I want to work with animals and yet I'm shunned because I ware a black and sometimes a bit of color. It's not like I cut myself, nor do I stab anyone with a pencil *rolls eyes* Thats what the guy said in the interview, b*****d.

"Gothics are depressed people, they cut themselfs and will rape you if your not careful!" Yeah, right, I know people get raped, but its not the Gothics! Rwar! D:

I understand you. I'm jobless at the moment.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff