Hot Topic "poser-ish"?
  Yea.
  No way!
  Eh...Somtimes.
  Hot Topic?
View Results

Nobujirou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm
im not really into hot toppic. but ocasionaly i will be walking throught the mall and eventually wander in. then end up buying a bunch of cheap s**t. i once walked in there and walked out with about 600 incense sticks. it only cost about 6$. normaly i see nothing wrong with hot toppic. although the preps are a problem. i only buy stuff thats on clearence or really cheap.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:07 am
I've found this thread to be an intersting read.

Personally I don't go to the mall nearly as much as I used to as I started to learn the value of thrift and good sales, but I am a hot topic clearance rack shopper as a general rule of thumb. When I go into the store, I make a B-line for the clearance rack and see if there is anything worthwhile there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Amusingly enough some of my favorite things I've gotten from there in the past was my white ren-fair like dress, fairy glitter, naruto headband, and full metal alchemist mints. I also remember when they used to sell sailor moon manga there, and had great amusement in watching one of the people I knew from high school "brave the hot topic" in order to purchase sailor moon manga and accesories. (In retrospect I wish I had bought the 1st manga when I had the chance since it's no long in print. ~_~) JTHM and Lenore both used to be sold there, and I know I saw a copy of Fruits Basket sitting on the clearance rack during one of my last visits. Hot topic has also had a small selection of fairy items for quite some time now. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that even though it has a lot of items that are sterotypical, it also does have a wider, non-sterotypical items as well.

The thing is, I don't think of the store as defining goth/emo/punk ect. I just see it as a speciality store. You can pic up a few good pieces if you're willing to pay the higher price, and when I do go in I have to ask myself if certain items are worth the higher pricing or not really. I'll support hot topic a little bit, just like I would support my local comic book store on occasion, or anything else that I would like to see stay in business. As much as some people dislike the "mall-goths" I don't really see it as all that bad of a thing really. Everyone goes through diffrent stages in their lives, and I would much perfer there be a place in the mall that people can feel at least comforable or like they have a safe haven instead of just feeling singled out completly. Since the mall is an important focal point in the teenage culture, I think it's useful to have a place of retreat for any sub culuture/counter culture to feel a bit more at home in.

Wow, I've gotten into a rather long tangent, but I do support what was stated earlier. Hot topic is a good place to wander into and grab a few items here and there, but there is NO WAY that I would ever shop there exclusively.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Bloodgasm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:01 am
Meh They have bondage pants that I don't have to go online and credit card crazy for.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:45 pm
Woot! I made a thread in extended discussion that explains EVERYTHING I have tried saying on here, and more.  

Ndoki

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:01 pm
I love Hot Topic, it's the only place to get any decent clothing.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:12 pm
my parents would kill me if i went in there...the closest ones at the north hollywood mall or something like that, then the one in beverly hills but my grandma can't drive and my cousins never home. we own 2 apartments down there.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

MISFIT a.d.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:40 pm
EmoXPickles_________x
Yeah I can admit I like the stuff they have there but if you look at the custormers you wonder wtf they're doing in that store. That's the only reason why I don't like it.
(Well, that's how it's like here, all the customers are preps you'd see in
Forever 21 or Abecrombie and Fitch)

yeah i always wonder that, i personally love the store i fill up my cards in a week lol smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:37 pm
I do think hot topic is a poser store. And I don't mean poser in a mean way, so don't even start to think that ^^;;

Everyone is a poser, it's just to what extent.

A lot of those clothes there just try to stero-type a 'gothic' or 'emo' look.

And most the people who shop there are not goth OR emo. They just wear them to 'fit in' or 'stick out' or 'look cool'.

Frankly... The only things I ever get from there are:

Hair dye... Because so far that's the only place I've been able to find fire red, blue black and purple... Though I don't need to worry about dyeing my hair for a long time.... *sigh*

Earings... For gauging purposes.

Necklaces
... I've only bought one. I dragon one that I love to death.

Sweat band... Only one. It's a sweatband with two male symbols on it. Go gays!

And uh....... That's it.

Everything else I get at wally-world... And they work for me. Instead of BUYING clothes already gothed out... Buy normal clothes, and mix and match to make your own style.

That's what I do.

Kupo Ikari

xAsh-chanx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:56 pm
I really like Hot Topic. To the outside world..many people may consider it poser-ish but I like what they stand for and what they do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:26 pm
.Sodomy.On.A.Stick.
-sigh-

I love Hot Topic personally, seeing as it's the ONLY place I can get anywhere near "gothic" clothes around here.

((It's Connecticut, ********. There are no goddamn indie shops here.))

-sighhh-

I don't care about fashion.

I don't care about having a certain look. I wear what I want, and you can go die if you want to start calling me a "poseur". I wear the Hot Topic t-shirts because they often have the bands I like, and they have some animes I like. I don't live off Hot Topic, however. I wear my Wal-Mart jeans and my black Kohl's tees all the time. I just wear whatever I feel like throwing on this bag of flesh and bones.

-shrug-

That's all there is to it.

same dude but i live in Philadelphia see way more gansta(most posers here) and they still think im weird when i have my hair but if i have like
eyeliner on, a band T and some jeans they would freak XD but anywho
i wear what i wanna wear. i still wear my regular black tees from walmart ^-^ cuz they more comfortable xd  

xXfracturedXFairytaleXx

MISFIT a.d.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:25 pm
well in my town there are only 3 black people so most of white kids are gamgsta i hate them! and preps screw preppies! hot topic is the only good store really and it aint poser-ish places like abercrombie are 4 posers!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:26 am
MISFIT a.d.
well in my town there are only 3 black people so most of white kids are gamgsta i hate them! and preps screw preppies! hot topic is the only good store really and it aint poser-ish places like abercrombie are 4 posers!

Why would you say abercrombie is for posers?  

Ndoki

Dark Moonlight Infinity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:31 pm
-Nice-n-Evil-
Hope there is not already a thread about this...

Okay, so i was asking some people today "What do you think of Hot Topic?" Over half said that Hot Topic was "poser-ish". I was just wondering everyone elses thoughts on this. 3nodding

I definitely don't think Hot Topic is POser-sih. It's one of my favorite stores too. To me what's poserishg is some of the people that go in there and pretend to be punk, goth, or whatever. I'm bothered by people like that cuz outside of Hot Topic they just torture and make fun of people who go in the store and genuinely like the clothes. They just go in there to "follow the crowd" and once they leave they start bitching about how stupid or "uncool" Hot Topic an the people that shop there are.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:41 pm
I'd just like an explanation of this... abercrombie IS poserish, but hot topic isn't? How does that work? Isn't that kinda a double standard?  

Ndoki

]sarcasm[

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:44 pm
I go to Hot Topic for band tees cuz that's the only place near me to get them. Well, there are other places, but the people in those places are really mean and are kinda scary. Half of them look at you as if they're ready to go and rape you. I do know for a fact that most of the people that shop at Hot Topic are posers. I should know, one of my friends shops there and she is nothing but a poser. I haven't been in HT for about six months now though.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff