Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Can someone explain to me what a "Mallgoth" is?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold.
  Yay.
View Results

XxBloodyXWristxX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:44 am
Anyone and I stress ANYONE who claims to be "goth" or any other label are not. People who are really into these lifestyles do not try to flaunt it and talk about it all the time....  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:00 am
XxBloodyXWristxX
Anyone and I stress ANYONE who claims to be "goth" or any other label are not. People who are really into these lifestyles do not try to flaunt it and talk about it all the time....

Isn't that a bit harsh? After all, a lot of the people here feel at least some affinity towards being goth even if they don't go around flaunting it all the time.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

KeliJo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:20 am
I do not think I am goth, but that is what most lable me as so....  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:23 pm
lurichan
XxBloodyXWristxX

Isn't that a bit harsh? After all, a lot of the people here feel at least some affinity towards being goth even if they don't go around flaunting it all the time.

Self-labelling doesn't negate the label. For example, I consider a goth to be an avid fan of goth-rock (or related genres) and a supporter of the goth culture. I AM an avid fan of goth-rock, and I DO support the goth culture. If I referred to myself as a goth, would I not be one, simply because I called myself one?  

GilAskan
Crew

DR490N

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:18 pm
trampyre
I feel kind of sorry for Angst Boy. I mean the only reason he hangs out in the mall for hours at a time must be because he has no friends. cry

But then, there's probably a reason for that, too.

lol i find that pretty funny. i dont feel sorry for those idiots, i tend to beat them up. the girlfirend and I broawse the shops in the mall and downtown and occasionally see those types, with hteir slipknot shirts and shitty makeup and bondage pants. some people try too hard.
personally, my 'uniform' consists of a red or black(sometimes even green) tshirt, tightish black jeans, sometimes a belt, wallet chain with a "clan Campbell" keychain and two keys hangin off of the front end, a ripped and safety pinned(currently about 14 safety pins....i got bored and counted) longsleeve hooded shirt with the misfits skull on the front and the back(it glows in the dark, woot! it's also the only hooded tshirt in the city), and sunglasses, which i wear everywhere due to a susceptability to flourescent and sun light, as well as some bright incandescent lighting. it's more about necessity than anything else.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:11 pm
....I am what I am...a name is not what I am...  

Fux this account

JustAnotherNancyBoy-x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:42 am
GilAskan
Mallgoth (n., adj.):

1. (n.) A member of the mallcore who falsely associates themselves with the goth culture
2. (adj.) Describing a mallgoth or things liked by them.

Mallgoths tend to [note: these are characteristics that mallgoths tend to have, but having one or many of these traits does not essentially make you a mallgoth]:

-Wear almost nothing but Hot Topic Clothes
-Wear Tripp Bondage Pants
-Wear ridiculous amounts of wrist-bands
-Wear ONLY black
-Write in black sharpie words like "death" and "pain" over any white area of clothing
-Try to get attention, but claim they aren't [trying to get attention]
-Claim to be goth, but don't actually know what goth is
-Are angsty
-Claim to be "More goth"
-Instantly hate anyone who isn't mallcore
-Claim to be artistically inclined, though, typically only say this to fit in with the art crowd
-Claim to be against labels, but use labels themselves
-Spend a lot of time at the mall, annoying people or wasting time
-Purposefully scare non-goths
-Call members of the real goth culture "posers"
-Listen to bands such as (but not limited to): Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, koRn, Slipknot, My Chemical Romance, Aiden, Cradle of Filth, and AFI
-Regularly wear band logo shirts
-Wear shirts that say "I'm a Goth" or "GOTH"
-Wear too much make-up, typically which is over exaggerated
-Are undyingly obsessed with Marilyn Manson, Gerard Way, or such other figures
-Are pointlessly rebellious (i.e. against ANYTHING that's AT ALL popular)
-Claim to be bisexual (but tend to be straight, only claiming to be bisexual for attention)
-Wear too much jewelry, which tends to be low quality

These are some common traits.

Other terms for mallgoths:

Mallcore (more broad term, including mallcore-emo and mallcore-punk)
Gloomcookie (mallgoth which wears Hot Topic or such brand clothes exclusively; see picture in second post)
Doomcookie (mallgoth who wears too much makeup, typically in the style of Cradle of Filth members, Marilyn Manson, or the Crow)
M&M (see "Mansonite")
Skingoth (vain teenagers obsessed singularly with the goth image)
Kindergoth (immature teenagers who choose to be "goth" in an vain attempt to rebel)
Mansonite (term specifically referring to mallgoth who are obsessed with Marilyn Manson)
Gruftie (German slang for what we now know as mallgoth; originally referred to legitimate goths, but the actual word "goth" grew more popular)
Cucaracha (Spanish slang for mallgoths)
Nos (French slang for mallgoth, short for "Nosferatu". A shirt with the word "Nosferatu" grew very popular amongst french mallgoths)
hey, i listen to evanesance and mcr! but im not goth i preffer gothic punk, and also im bi you cant just throw stuff like sexuality down to being a 'mallgoth' its just the fact im attracted to male and female  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:44 am
am i the only one that hates people with msn pics that say 'goth' or 'proud goth' or something stupid like that, its soo wannabe  

JustAnotherNancyBoy-x

[-Alluring Enchantress-]

3,900 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:08 am
Veruniel
Ugh. We had a whole swarm of these in the town where I went to college. Every Friday, they'd cluster by the theatre. They looked like they'd gone to hot topic and bought out all the cheap stuff. Crappy pants, jams (!), and t-shirts with slogans like "I'm so goth I'm dead" and "It must suck to be you." And most of them had capes... probably made from their mommy's old nightgown.

I wouldn't mind the laughable clothing on its own. When you can't sew your own clothes and haven't heard of any underground goth shops, these things happen. What I didn't like was the attitude. They'd slam cheap hooch down their throats and shout things like, "My God, I'm so ********' miserable!" That or compete to see who could threaten the goriest suicide. "I'm gonna slit my wrists and inhale a can of pesticide!!" rolleyes

For some reason...Reading that made me very mad. xp

I can't believe they even attempted putting a cape with those kind of clothes...*Shudders at the thought of what it might look like*.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:09 pm
evil-mad-cat
GilAskan
Mallgoth (n., adj.):

1. (n.) A member of the mallcore who falsely associates themselves with the goth culture

Mallgoths tend to [note: these are characteristics that mallgoths tend to have, but having one or many of these traits does not essentially make you a mallgoth]:

-Wear ONLY black
-Write in black sharpie words like "death" and "pain" over any white area of clothing
-Are angsty
-Claim to be "More goth"
-Claim to be artistically inclined, though, typically only say this to fit in with the art crowd
-Listen to bands such as (but not limited to): Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, koRn, Slipknot, My Chemical Romance, Aiden, Cradle of Filth, and AFI
-Claim to be bisexual (but tend to be straight, only claiming to be bisexual for attention)-Wear too much jewelry, which tends to be low quality

Gloomcookie (mallgoth which wears Hot Topic or such brand clothes exclusively; see picture in second post)
Doomcookie (mallgoth who wears too much makeup, typically in the style of Cradle of Filth members, Marilyn Manson, or the Crow)
M&M (see "Mansonite")
Kindergoth (immature teenagers who choose to be "goth" in an vain attempt to rebel)
Mansonite (term specifically referring to mallgoth who are obsessed with Marilyn Manson)
Gruftie (German slang for what we now know as mallgoth; originally referred to legitimate goths, but the actual word "goth" grew more popular)
Nos (French slang for mallgoth, short for "Nosferatu". A shirt with the word "Nosferatu" grew very popular amongst french mallgoths)
hey, i listen to evanesance and mcr! but im not goth i preffer gothic punk, and also im bi you cant just throw stuff like sexuality down to being a 'mallgoth' its just the fact im attracted to male and female

You should note that I clearly state that having one or more of the things listed doesn't essentially make you a mallgoth.

And I never said that sexual preference had anything to do with being a mallgoth. I said that many mallgoths CLAIM to be be bisexual or homosexual as a way to get attention. I never said that all bisexuals are mallgoths, nor did I say that mallgoths couldn't be bisexual. It's simply a common trait amongst mallgoths that (in an attempt to draw attention) they intentionally give the image that they're bisexual or homosexual.  

GilAskan
Crew

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:49 pm
evil-mad-cat
GilAskan
Mallgoth (n., adj.):

-Wear ONLY black
-Are angsty
-Claim to be "More goth"
-Claim to be bisexual (but tend to be straight, only claiming to be bisexual for attention)
-Wear too much jewelry, which tends to be low quality

M&M (see "Mansonite")

Way to completley misunderstand what he was saying.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:15 pm
Yeah, I think the basic jist of what he said is that Mallgoths overdo everything; they are instantly identifiable as fake. I know goths who wear hot topic gear, yet they also manage to be genuine goths. There are a lot of things that genuine goths do that overlap with what Mallgoths do; the difference is that Mallgoths go overboard trying to be unique, or fitting the image what they think is unique, and have a fixation on the mall itself - specifically Hot Topic and its brands.  

trampyre

anastazia eckhart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:54 pm
while i am one to admit that i go to hot topic....it is because they are the only store that carry plus sized clothes for me and my sis. ( i usually buy mens sizes to fit me from there.) other than that, i really woudlnt consider myself mall goth. havent been to hot topic since last january....

*smacks self in head knowing others will be laughing at her.*  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:06 pm
[~Lonely Dollie~]
Veruniel
Ugh. We had a whole swarm of these in the town where I went to college. Every Friday, they'd cluster by the theatre. They looked like they'd gone to hot topic and bought out all the cheap stuff. Crappy pants, jams (!), and t-shirts with slogans like "I'm so goth I'm dead" and "It must suck to be you." And most of them had capes... probably made from their mommy's old nightgown.

I wouldn't mind the laughable clothing on its own. When you can't sew your own clothes and haven't heard of any underground goth shops, these things happen. What I didn't like was the attitude. They'd slam cheap hooch down their throats and shout things like, "My God, I'm so ********' miserable!" That or compete to see who could threaten the goriest suicide. "I'm gonna slit my wrists and inhale a can of pesticide!!" rolleyes

I can't believe they even attempted putting a cape with those kind of clothes...*Shudders at the thought of what it might look like*.

Punk meets bedsheet?

It makes me mad too. Not so much the clothes as the way they faked depression, though. Shouting about how miserable you are isn't just annoying. It's also making life harder for real depressed people. Most depressives are subtle about their angst and I haven't met any who'd wave it around for the whole world to boggle at, but not everyone knows it. Scads of people think depression is a fake desease and a bid for attention, and these are the people who give them that idea.

And suicide threats? Not funny.  

Veruniel
Crew

Genica Pussywillow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:27 am
Veruniel
[~Lonely Dollie~]
Veruniel

Punk meets bedsheet?

It makes me mad too. Not so much the clothes as the way they faked depression, though. Shouting about how miserable you are isn't just annoying. It's also making life harder for real depressed people. Most depressives are subtle about their angst and I haven't met any who'd wave it around for the whole world to boggle at, but not everyone knows it. Scads of people think depression is a fake desease and a bid for attention, and these are the people who give them that idea.

And suicide threats? Not funny.

[I think that's "Emo" rather than Mall goths.]
[But, they're pretty similiar]

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out