Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Are ALL goths depressed? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Angel Bruja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:40 am
Veruniel
Chaos A.D.
dumb question..no they're not, we're gothic not emo....

I think there's a certain misunderstanding about what depression is, here.

Being Emo does not automatically mean you're depressed. Even if you show every negative Emo stereotype there is (whinging, writing bad poetry, claiming that you're totally miserable), it's not necessarily a sign of depression.

Most depressed people do not advertise the fact. They are ashamed of their condition and go to great lengths to hide it. If they 'cut' or otherwise damage themselves, they will put the scars in places that can be easily hidden. If they feel miserable, they will not talk about it except to their closest friends; the last thing they want is to cause a scene, because they don't feel they deserve any sympathy.

While not all goths are depressed, some most definitely are. You'll find the same percent of depressed people in practially every subculture. It's a physical disability and doesn't affect personal taste that much. Hell, I've known some seriously depressed scenesters and preppies in my time.

Personally? I am a depressed goth. I'm not ashamed to admit it, because long years of treatment have taught me that this problem is not willfull attention seeking and is not morally reprehensible. But you couldn't tell I have it if you met me. It's possible to be an optimistic person even if you have depression, because when the desease is not attacking you, you're as lucid and 'normal' as anyone else.

I agree. Just because one is emotiional or can hide their emotions doesn't mean they are depressed or such.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:33 pm
I like to think of many balanced Goths as fatalistic rather than depressed. It's one thing to be fatalistic about things, and another to be depressed. That's not to say the two can't go hand in hand, but a healthy person can be fatalistic and not be depressed. So you can be a fatalist, be healthy, and not be depressed. Some are, however, clinically depressed, while others are just sad. neutral  

Clash of Vision

-Isel-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:54 pm
inuyashas_lilgirl
Isel
inuyashas_lilgirl
emoRockLover
You people need to stop freaking emo bashing. it's pissing me off.

I can be happy or depressed, whichever suits the moment.

So.
Shut up. STFU shut it. Whichever you like.

Who was bashing emos?
My little sister is emo, and I love her
to death...
Emo boys are generally hot, I'm not bashing, lol.
I'm describing the difference between Gothic and Emotional.
Hey, I love emo rock too...Mcr. <3

MCR IS POP-ROCK, NEVER CALL THEM EMO ANYTHING EVER.

Dude...it's Emo-rock.... xd
Pop-rock is like All American Rejects....

Well IDK about you, but here in Wisconsin that's
what My Chemical Romance is.

Emo=style of punk

Punk never takes anything from Queen or Pink Floyd- punk was born in part out of a huge resistance to prog- and glam-rock.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:39 pm
i'm a little happy XD
sometimes sweatdrop
i guess....  

Dark_Judje

inuyashas_lilgirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:14 pm
Isel
inuyashas_lilgirl
Isel
inuyashas_lilgirl
emoRockLover
You people need to stop freaking emo bashing. it's pissing me off.

I can be happy or depressed, whichever suits the moment.

So.
Shut up. STFU shut it. Whichever you like.

Who was bashing emos?
My little sister is emo, and I love her
to death...
Emo boys are generally hot, I'm not bashing, lol.
I'm describing the difference between Gothic and Emotional.
Hey, I love emo rock too...Mcr. <3

MCR IS POP-ROCK, NEVER CALL THEM EMO ANYTHING EVER.

Dude...it's Emo-rock.... xd
Pop-rock is like All American Rejects....

Well IDK about you, but here in Wisconsin that's
what My Chemical Romance is.

Emo=style of punk

Punk never takes anything from Queen or Pink Floyd- punk was born in part out of a huge resistance to prog- and glam-rock.

LIKE I SAID, I don't know about you, but here in Wisconsin My Chemical Romance is considered Alternative Emo. I don't wanna start a fight with you, I'm just saying I don't hate emos... neutral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:20 pm
Chaos A.D.
dumb question..no they're not, we're gothic not emo....

3nodding Well said. I have a friend who thinks that if you're happy you're not goth. I tried to explain that this wasn't so.  

Freedom Fire

XAngelFromYourNightmareX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:15 pm
reicheru343
Sorry, I know it's a dumb topic.

Meh, I tend to get goths and emos mixed up.
rofl

Sorry
That's a real stupid question for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:29 pm
not all goth's all depressed and then when we're depressed ppl call us emo and fakes and we ane not emo. We're the misunderstood and unquie that ppl can't always see.  

Poetic Witch

Feral Kitten

Neon~Starshine

Questionable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:09 pm
I have a friend who once described Gothic attire as a way to express one's being in mourning for one's own life.

Goth has many different subcultures to it. Some are dark and cynical due to thier above-average intelligence and fascination by the so-called morbidity of life.

Most are simply drawn to darker things, whether they seem reletively introspective, happy, depressed, angry, or anything else. That's why there are skater goths, nerd goths, metal head goths, cybergoths, victorian goths, etc.

oh, and don't forget about confused emos that won't admit that they're emo.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:17 pm
True I am pretty happy Person  

Cyto

kayla1234098

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:08 pm
I'm a pretty happy person mostly s**t goes on that makes me sad but its not because im goth  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:13 pm
no, but a good amount are. personally i'm typically a happy or angry person. i view staying in a depressed state as an escape device for those who wish not to face the cold hard reality and tell it to ******** right the hell off. sre i get depressed from time to time, but i dont keep myself there.  

DR490N

Starfish Attack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:15 pm
oh my FRIGGIN GOSH

i am sOooO siCk of seeing this being posted.

NO THEY ARENT!
everyone is entitled to their feeeeeelings
there are even
HAPPY EMOS!
dunno why.no one likes them anyway>.>

but thats not the point.
yes so uh.
were not robots here.
we dooo have emotions
well some of us.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]