Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:32 am
Oh lovely.
I'm sure there are people in my class who know about as much as you do. Really, some people don't pay attention.
What I do it listen to absolutely everything the teacher says, and then watch docos and read historical fiction.
I'm a bit of a nut in that respect.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:58 pm
Well, in my defense I've been out of school for ... quite some years, and History was never one of my strong points. English, art, creative writing, now that was the fuel for my engine. Maybe my History teacher just wasn't interesting enough. I find I'm more interested what I just talk to people of other countries, or when friends of mine tell me different things in history. I perk right up then. Meh. Maybe it's the forum and medium rather than the educational aspect. *shrugs* I know that I've been learning a lot more about Australia that I didn't know about before (right now my book is talking about the Aboriginal peoples (apparently otherwise known as the invisible people because so little is known about them and so little attention is paid to them). I've always been obsessed with Oz, though. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to meet the Wizard at the end of the golden road. *laughs*  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:05 am
Just a little pointer, don't believe everything you read on the Aborigines. I've studied that sort of area in History Extension and the way it's portrayed isn't that pretty. There's too much controversy over and, I hate to be harsh, but you really have to ahve grown up in this country to formulate a relatively informed opinion about the aborigine positions. So just a little warning more or less. :3

Well it does indeed help to have a bright History teacher, and well I guess I've been blessed with a great one. He's just fueled my passion for the subject, I just tend to suck up everything he tells us. It's obvious when I can write 20 pages in my exam so yeah. o_O

I personally like the creative writing and the English sort of stuff myself and I tend to be relatively good with the whole essay writing in English but it seems my creative writing is an aquired taste as I never get top marks for it. My friends seem to like it so my stories are going to become birthday presents and such because I'm horrible at choosing anything. xD
I seem to be rather ecclectic in my academic talents so I try and do everything I possibly can...well. I love it, it's great stuff. Just have to get the right mark for Uni now. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:06 pm
DNA_Guru
I'm having a lovely Winter. The temperatures are just...nice. When the sun comes out, it's bliss. whee

Hmm, I read over a few articles on Wikipedia last night and I think I found out why the Romans occupied Greece.
It started with 4 conflicts agains Macedonia, which they instigated. It basically ended up with the Romans just defending themselves.

Yeah, I basically managed to find the same thing. A slightly different interpretation, though linked to the deffensive model, is that the constant conflict between Macedonia and Greece was a troubling and unstable pressence for the Romans, so instead of granting a form of autonomy, they were completely subjugated so they would stop fighting each other, even though the Roman's had a crap-load of respect for the Greeks.

Also, the Winter weather in Melbourne wasn't that bad two weeks ago; we had almost a week straight of sunny days and temperatures in the high teens, and almost a 20 on one day. It may not sound like much, but for Melbourne in Winter, that's bloody awesome. Alas, shorlty after, it became Winter again, but is sunny at the moment. 3nodding  

WellzY
Crew

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:53 am
At this very moment I am freezing my fingers off. It has been cold and wet today. D:  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:26 am
sweatdrop Same.... But it's always wet in New Zealand

superdud3000

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:26 am
Just popping in quickly to let you know I'm still alive and still very interested in being part of this guild! *kisses a few cheeks* The reason I haven't been around is because both of the bloody computers at my place have decided to keel over dead so I'm left with very little time between two jobs to hike up to the local Uni and use their computer labs to check e-mail and such. So I am still around, just unable to access the net for a bit! As soon as I have one or the other computer at home running again (preferably without glitches *grumbles*) then I'll be an active member here again ... or at least a little more attentive. *nervous laugh*

And hopefully the next time I pop by I'll be able to respond to the comments that were left in my absence! Don't give up on me yet! *begs and pleads and winks*  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:22 am
Noez dammit. XD

Well that's a bugger, anyway, be seeing you soon then. whee  

DNA_Guru
Captain

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:30 pm
Finally the time has come that I'm able to respond to this. I just hope everyone hasn't given up on me.

DNA_Guru
Just a little pointer, don't believe everything you read on the Aborigines. I've studied that sort of area in History Extension and the way it's portrayed isn't that pretty. There's too much controversy over and, I hate to be harsh, but you really have to ahve grown up in this country to formulate a relatively informed opinion about the aborigine positions. So just a little warning more or less. :3

Duelly noted, dear. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. It's just that the book, In A Sunburned Country', piqued my interest in the Aborigines. I'd like to learn more about them. Such as why it might be offensive to people ... Not much is said about them in Bill Bryson's book, but enough is mentioned to get my curiosity. He basically makes them sound kind of like the Indian peoples here in Canada.

DNA_Guru
Well it does indeed help to have a bright History teacher, and well I guess I've been blessed with a great one. He's just fueled my passion for the subject, I just tend to suck up everything he tells us. It's obvious when I can write 20 pages in my exam so yeah. o_O

I've only recently become interested in any kind of History. My teacher back in highschool wasn't so enthusiastic about the subject, nor informative ... nor interesting ... in fact he was pretty much just a monotoned jerk who liked pushing his weight around and believed he knew everything there was to know acting like he lived in every period he taught us about. I loved when he tried teaching us about WWII ... then I brought in my father who was a veteran. *winks*

DNA_Guru
I personally like the creative writing and the English sort of stuff myself and I tend to be relatively good with the whole essay writing in English but it seems my creative writing is an aquired taste as I never get top marks for it. My friends seem to like it so my stories are going to become birthday presents and such because I'm horrible at choosing anything. xD
I seem to be rather ecclectic in my academic talents so I try and do everything I possibly can...well. I love it, it's great stuff. Just have to get the right mark for Uni now. XD

I'm mostly the creative writing sort. Facts and details were never my strong points (though I will research for a book when necessary just for the sake of accuracy). I've always been more into the Fantasy category when it comes to my own written literature. I love reading all sorts of books, but Fantasy will hold a special place in my heart forever, methinks. *smiles*

Anywho, that's all I have time for. I have a bus to catch to take my sick butt back home to bed. *les sigh* Just to let you all know, however, I'll be getting a shiny new computer in the next month or so (by Chrissy, fingers crossed). Just $1100 more to pay on it and it'll be mine. With the comp will come three months free cable internet. So here's hoping that on weekends I might actually be able to squeeze in time after a 55 hour work week to post occasionally. Talk to you later! And I miss you lots! *huggles*  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:14 am
Full marks for the reply, I'm glad you went to the trouble.

Perhaps we should talk more about your curiosities at a alter date then. 3nodding  

DNA_Guru
Captain

Elegant Rarity

Fashionable Darling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:49 am
Im not Australian either, but I would love to go to Australia. I love thier accents and I think the animals from there look just too adorable =)  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:39 pm
You're right. Our accents and animals are spectacular.  

EmWah
Crew

Elegant Rarity

Fashionable Darling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:24 pm
EmWah
You're right. Our accents and animals are spectacular.
yeah 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:50 am
I'm not from Australia either, but I have always been fascinated by the entire country! Even when I was a little kid. I remember once I did my science report and project on the animals of Australia. It was so much fun! I feel like I have it in my blood even though I'm not part Australian. I really wish I was though. Most of my favorite actors and t.v. people are Australian. My newest obsession is Take Home Chef! I just love Curtis! Also, I love James from In A Fix! One of my fav actors is Heath Ledger! Aussies are just hot! The accents and the wonderfulness of the country can't be denied! It's a dream of mine to go and visit there one day! I have friends from my art site that live there and they are all so nice!

Aja  

Aja_Leith

The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas