Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiously Fruity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:42 am
Nihilistic Seraph
.Curiously.Fruity.
Nihilistic Seraph
.Curiously.Fruity.
I believe that Satan gets a bad rap. I don't think that most people are open-minded enough to consider his side of the story. Of course it's a little hard when you've got the Christian God's side pushed in your face everytime you turn around (I do not mean the physical act. Insead, the fact that the Bible is everywhere). I do not see the world in black and white, as in good or evil. I do not see God as good, however I do not see him as evil either. Both God and Satan were doing what they thought was best.

Now, would I worship either? No. Do I believe in either? Not really. That is why I've never became a Christian. I understand that one can believe in something and not follow it, but that is my reason for not becoming a Christian.
Kinda hard to have a side misrepresented as evil when there's a high possibility of being a carry-over from Ahriman, who is a purely evil entity. sweatdrop

I am very ignorant about most of the Gods and Goddess from many religions. I just feel that what I know of the Christian religion that I don't think Satan is a bad being.
Why? You read what he did to Job? Tried to steal Jesus away from the people? He's no nice character at all.

You may very well be right... However I was thinking about this.

When I said that I believe I was thinking more along the lines of Lucifer, before he was cast out of heaven. But then again, I've never read the Bible and don't really intend on doing so. I only know few scriptures due to other arguements I've made.

So, really. Everyone should ignore everything that I've said in this thread. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:50 pm
.Curiously.Fruity.
Nihilistic Seraph
.Curiously.Fruity.
Nihilistic Seraph
.Curiously.Fruity.
I believe that Satan gets a bad rap. I don't think that most people are open-minded enough to consider his side of the story. Of course it's a little hard when you've got the Christian God's side pushed in your face everytime you turn around (I do not mean the physical act. Insead, the fact that the Bible is everywhere). I do not see the world in black and white, as in good or evil. I do not see God as good, however I do not see him as evil either. Both God and Satan were doing what they thought was best.

Now, would I worship either? No. Do I believe in either? Not really. That is why I've never became a Christian. I understand that one can believe in something and not follow it, but that is my reason for not becoming a Christian.
Kinda hard to have a side misrepresented as evil when there's a high possibility of being a carry-over from Ahriman, who is a purely evil entity. sweatdrop

I am very ignorant about most of the Gods and Goddess from many religions. I just feel that what I know of the Christian religion that I don't think Satan is a bad being.
Why? You read what he did to Job? Tried to steal Jesus away from the people? He's no nice character at all.

When I said that I believe I was thinking more along the lines of Lucifer, before he was cast out of heaven. But then again, I've never read the Bible and don't really intend on doing so. I only know few scriptures due to other arguements I've made.

So, really. Everyone should ignore everything that I've said in this thread. sweatdrop
Ah, that's it.

Lucifer=/=Satan though. Lucifer refers to a Babylonian king that got arrogant and Yahweh then b***h-slapped. Milton saw a similarity between the king and the story he wanted to tell so stole the name.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Curiously Fruity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:57 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
.Curiously.Fruity.
Nihilistic Seraph
.Curiously.Fruity.
Nihilistic Seraph
.Curiously.Fruity.

Ah, that's it.

Lucifer=/=Satan though. Lucifer refers to a Babylonian king that got arrogant and Yahweh then b***h-slapped. Milton saw a similarity between the king and the story he wanted to tell so stole the name.

Damn Christians, stealing everything good and holy! *shakes fist* Lol, I'm kidding.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:22 am
Well thats the thing,
My belief system is ironed aroundf many different religions, structures, and gods and goddesses. I however don't feel in a central force of evil that corrupt people, makes them damed, ect. Thats why Satan is not apart of my belief system. I do not follow Christain concepts or religious views though, I have no problem with them but I am guilty of saying I do not believe in Satan just to shut some people up when they tell me i worship him.

I told someone once "well if you think I believe in satan that means were at war! You fight for god and jesus and Ill fight for satan. Meet me in the parking lot with your armor and sword and we'll fight to the death."
and i think that scared them to leave me alone finally ^^

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

Naomi Tinuveil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:18 am
The Bookwyrm
Nihilistic Seraph
Jezehbelle
When I read the Bible, I kindof favored the devil over Yahweh... o_O;

The serpent in Eden on the tree, tells them the truth, while Yahweh lies and says they will die the day they eat it, but Adam lives on to be 130 years old. If the god of Abraham can wipe out the face of the earth, kill men, women and children, along with all but two of each kind of animal, there is surely good to the devil.
Well, to begin with, the serpent isn't Satan, and God doesn't say that they'll die the moment they eat it.

As well, that idea of evil in the Abrahamic god doesn't make it logicaly follow that the devil can have good in him.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the serpant is Satan, or Lucifer, or whatever you'd like to call him. It's what I was always told in church, and authors like Milton have certainly played it up. It just wasn't a real serpant, it was the devil in disguise.

And Adam and Eve were indeed told that they would die when they ate of the fruit; however, he took pitty on them for being duped, and instead cast them out of the garden as punishment.

Aren't there also myths that say the serpant was "lilith" the first woman created from the earth like adam . . . I forget what culture that myth came from, but it was the story I was told when I was younger.

Lilith refused to lie under Adam during sex, thus being defyant and independant. Well anyway, she left and there's a whole story to her that I don't remember by heart so I'd have to look it up. But I remember the part where Lilith desquised herself as a serpant to share the truth with her sister Eve, especially because she felt rebellious after finding that Eve was made from adams ribs, so as to be obedient.

Anyway, she gave the fruit to Eve to awaken her from her trance and to allow her to regain freewill. Or something like that. I don't remember what mythology classification that would fall under. But I remember that story being told alot in my house when I was young.

I was raised Catholic, but from what I've comparied with other Catholics I guess my experience was different. We praised Mary, sometimes only. I remember the altars to Mary we had around the house. And we studied the Rosicrucian more so than the bible. In our Catholic Sect, things like Tarot Cards, Meditation, and Crystal Scrying were encouranged. So I get confused when talking to others who were Catholic Raised.

Anyway . . . Lilith then gains a strong association with Snakes and Serpants. And is seen as a dark entitie. Which is why I wonder. When Lilith plays the part she is considered a "Dark Entitie" when Satan plays the part, he is considered Evil?!?! Perhaps this is because of re-written scripture? Or is it because while the Christians have counter parts, they do not adapt to a dualist theory. Instead of Light and Dark aspects they have only Good and Evil aspects of duality?

Any Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:44 am
Lillith is from judaic myth. I don't know too much else about her.
Never heard the snake story, heard she was the mother of succubi and inccubi, she apparently lay with the devil and bore hundreds of demon children, God then punished her for her sins by killing them all.

Edit:
Article from Pantheon.org  

Goddess Hekate
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:10 am
I'll second GH with the Judaic myth. I think it comes from the Alpha Bet Ben Sira as well, and there's no mention of her being the serpent. The whole devil/Satan thing is a Zoroasterian concept that was only imported into Judaism after the Persians let them back into Jerusalem around 538BCE, at which point Genesis is thought to have been already writen.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff