Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What is the longest word in the dictionary? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dragn Breth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:09 pm
The one your daughter told you was probably 'Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis'.

I love that word xd  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:18 pm
Dragn Breth
The one your daughter told you was probably 'Pneumoniaultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis'.

I love that word xd

Yep that is the word she was telling me about. She was asking me how to pronounce the word. I told her I have no idea. And that I have a fear of long words. biggrin  

Shelton3369

Friendly Gaian

7,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100

Industrious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:28 pm
Click Here  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:20 pm
Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

English for -"The association for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services"  

Trinity Fields

Trinity Fields

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:23 pm
Demon Red_666
Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

English for -"The association for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services"

Also: pneumono­ultra­micro­scopic­silico­volcano­coniosis

go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_English to see what it means  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:57 pm
Pneumono­ultra­micro­scopic­silico­volcano­coniosis is actually in the dictionary. The problem is that it is a disease and so people want it out of the ENGLISH dictionary since it rightfully belongs in the MEDICAL dictionary. So far it is still in the English dictionary.  

Joss-Box

Shelton3369

Friendly Gaian

7,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:07 pm
I'm glad I can't spell that word or even pronounce it. When it comes to the medical words, I just don't know how to pronounce them correctly, and people pick on me about it. Oh well, that's life I guess... rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:09 pm
I found this word at Wikipedia site:

Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyph- ophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon,
variously spelled, is a fictional dish mentioned in Aristophanes' comedy Ecclesiazusae.  

Shelton3369

Friendly Gaian

7,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100

silentsouless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:36 pm
Good lord...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Okay, I actually googled this: The longest word in the English language, and in most dictionaries, is the word: Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (also spelled -koniosis) is an alleged lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust found in volcanoes. It was coined to serve as the longest English word. The more general and widely used term for this condition is pneumoconiosis.
By the way, this word is a 45-letter word! Which, last time I checked, is a pretty long word indeed!  

Sweet Blushes

smashbrolink

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:20 pm
Sighren
I always thought it was "Antidisestablishmentarianism." ^ ^

That is what I was about to say, even though it's probably not the longest.XD I'm too lazy to look up it's meaning, but just from this word alone, it's no wonder that people raised without english find it so frustrating to learn. They can barely make out if it's a word at all, let alone make sense of it!XXDD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:23 pm
Rookie3369
I found this word at Wikipedia site:

Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyph- ophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon,
variously spelled, is a fictional dish mentioned in Aristophanes' comedy Ecclesiazusae.

Wow, that leads me to believe that some people just have way too much time to think, if names like that are cropping up.XD  

smashbrolink

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Mentally Unstable Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:30 pm
methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanyla lanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalany lphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspa rtylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleu cylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspar tylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylser ylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonyliso leucylglutaminylaspfraginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylpheny lalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcyste inylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylargin ylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylgl ycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylpheny lalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalany ltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylva lylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglu taminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalan ylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucy lphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartyl aspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalanylseryl tyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylseryl arginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparag inylarginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylasparaginylhistidylleucy lvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparaginylalanylalany lprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucylser ylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylas partylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylser ylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhi stidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylglutamyllysylmethio nylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylp rolylmethion yllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine? WTF?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:31 pm
My poor brain!

Why don't we stick with "Miles?"

Fatalis Unus

Shelton3369

Friendly Gaian

7,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:29 am
I agree with you Fatalis Unus! I think I've over did my brain trying to figure out the longest word or even looking up words. 4laugh  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff