Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Tolkien Q&A and Informative Thread -Open! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you worried about Feanor?
  Yes!
  ... I suppose not?
  Feh! Of course not!
View Results

Lady Pole
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:07 pm
Gandalf had the third! I'm going to reread the appendices. Thanks smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:14 pm
here's a question.

i have my own theories of course. but just what is Tom Bombadil?
(hope I spelled his name right biggrin )  

lesag88

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:31 pm
J.R.R. Tolkien
'And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionally).'

Tolkien really had no intention of ever telling us who or what Tom was.

Encyclopedia of Arda
A mysterious and powerful being, called by the Elves Iarwain Ben-adar (Oldest and Fatherless), who dwelt in the valley of the Withywindle, east of the Shire. What kind of being he was has never been certainly discovered (see The Riddle of Tom Bombadil below), but at some stage in the past, he seems to have settled at the edge of the

Old Forest, setting himself boundaries, but boundaries within which his power was extraordinary. Tom was a creature of contradictions, one moment defeating ancient forces with hardly an effort, the next capering and singing nonsensical songs.

He appeared as an old man, at least in hobbit eyes, with a wrinkled and ruddy face, bright blue eyes, and a bristling brown beard. He was said to be taller than a typical hobbit, but too short to be a Man, so he seems to have been about five feet in height. His costume consisted of a blue jacket and yellow boots, and he wore an old and battered hat, surmounted by a feather. He seems to have preferred to wear a swan-feather in his hat, but before he met Frodo and company on the banks of the Withywindle, he had acquired the feather of a Kingfisher instead. In his own house, rather than a hat, he wore a crown of autumn leaves, perhaps revealing something of the elemental powers he possessed.

Interesting information one learned by doing one's senior theme on Tolkien. It is said Tom Bombadil was based of a Dutch doll one of his sons had.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:22 am
"Love not too well the works of thy hands and the devices of thy heart!"

Is this a quote from The Silmarillion?  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:23 pm
Honestly.. I don't know.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:23 am
"Then Turgon pondered long the counsel of Ulmo, and there came into his mind the words that were spoken to him in Vinyamar: 'Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart; and remember that the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West, and cometh from the Sea.' But Turgon was become proud, and Gondolin as beautiful as a memory of Elven Tirion, and he trusted still in its secret and impregnable strength, though even a Vala should gainsay it..."
The Silmarillion, near the beginning of "Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin"

One of my favorite quotes, (Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart) probably because I have a feel for what it means but I'm not 100% sure.

I love to work with my hands, and when something comes out good, I sometimes sort of gaze at it -- a lot. I just hope I wouldn't leave the Garden of Eden to retrieve my work if Satan stole it.

"...the device of thy heart" is even more elusive. One's own self-image? Seeing a beautiful person and inventing a beautiful soul to go with it?  

Lady Pole
Crew

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:50 am
I believe it refers to by device of thy heart, the old Elven smiths so to say, poured their soul somewhat literally into their works.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:30 am
Okay, this isn't really a specific LotR question, but I've been debating whether or not I should attempt reading the books after seeing the movies. What does everyone think?  

Lhia Dunwaith

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:33 pm
I think it would be advisable.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:14 am
Okay, because some people have said that I'd only be confused/disappointed after watching the movie. Someone else said that because there was no Orlando Bloom, they had a hard time getting through the books. xd  

Lhia Dunwaith

Thrain Okensheild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:52 am
On the topics of reading books, I have read the new book Children of Hurin
I found it to be a good read.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:31 pm
Oh yeah, it's really good.  

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:49 pm
the accounts are bloody and tragic, but well worth reading

if you like a good cry

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:05 am
Yes they are very dark, however they do shed light upon things that i dint understand.  

Thrain Okensheild

Cluck Girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:04 pm
Oh wow, lovely amount of knowledge here. Amazing, well done guys.

Just a quick question... In Sindarin grammar, is it Lle hannon or Hannon lle?  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff