Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Galactic Travel and Information Help Desk (RP help) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 503 504 505 506 507 508 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:02 am
Not to mention, translated wookiee, sith, hutteese, anything non basis is put in different manners when needing translation.

Ergo, Shouri might say this.

This implies its in another format besides basic. Especially shirriwook, which hasn't a language to really type in and cross-reference. Its not needed, because she technically hasn't directly said anything. Until she speaks a specific line, its unlikely the use is needed.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:04 am
No_1_cares
You Will Never Be A Man

Maybe, but it would help avoid situations like we just encountered. In doing this it allows others to "Understand" wookiee without having to guess. It's simple really. If your character doesn't know wookiee, then they guess anyway. Kind of like Han and Chewie. Han knew what Chewie was saying, as did Luke and C3-P0, but not some of the other characters. Jedi usually learn to understand the languages of other cultures that lack the vocal capabilities to speak basic.
Unless You Are A Gentleman

Situations liek what you just encountered are commonplace in the Galaxy.
Deal with it and roll on.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:06 am
technically, the jedi use the force to learn other languages. Very few actually learn them on their own free will. Look it up in the wookieepedia under force powers.  
Nelowulf

Ergo, Shouri might say this.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Pardon the pun.

But in honestly, I began using that format when I started, however your character began to 'understand' what she was saying despite not knowing the language, so I stopped using it merely to cut back on the OOC knowlege aspect. For those who do understand the language (such as Melissa) I pm a translation to their account so they know what's being said, and those who don't speak it do not.  

Shouri

Sayla-girl

Noble Dabbler

9,675 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250
Thank goodness for HUD Translation software.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:09 am
You Will Never Be A Man

So I should expect to lose limbs when encountering a wookiee? What's wrong with this picture?

Point Taken Nelo, but the problem still remains, without actual knowledge of the language, there is no way for someone to react appropriately, hence the situation we just had. Because I have no knowledge of what is going through the wookiee's mind I can't accurately RP to avoid conflict.

Takamura Kobayashi

Dangerous Hunter

5,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:11 am
Even if you know not the words, the intonation of the superlative should be more than indicative of the presence you are making. Communication is only 20% verbal in humans. the other80% is bodily. And a wookiee's not exactly a passive creature to watch.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:13 am
No_1_cares
You Will Never Be A Man

So I should expect to lose limbs when encountering a wookiee? What's wrong with this picture?

Point Taken Nelo, but the problem still remains, without actual knowledge of the language, there is no way for someone to react appropriately, hence the situation we just had. Because I have no knowledge of what is going through the wookiee's mind I can't accurately RP to avoid conflict.

You want to talk wook? buy the Galactic Phrase and Travel Guide they printed a ways back. It covers Ewok, Huttese, Bocce, Droidspeak, Gungan, Jawa, and Tuskan.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Shouri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:13 am
You cannot expect to be able to read minds in order to understand everyone. And I don't think there was much of a miscommunication in her body language.... She was pretty clear.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:15 am
And when all else fails, offer to buy the hairball a drink.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Shouri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:16 am
Cale Darksun

A great idea. Different approaches = works.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:17 am
Shouri
Cale Darksun

I told you guys Ive done the outlaw game before.
I'm a savy Intergalactic Traveler.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Takamura Kobayashi

Dangerous Hunter

5,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 am
You Will Never Be A Man

I understand that Shouri, but how was I supposed to indicate I was merely trying to help if I didn't have a clue what was being said? Makes no sense to me. Yeah, your wookiee was getting angry, but instead of trying to resolve the situation, as was his goal, Takamura made it worse because I had no idea what she was saying. And if I'm not mistaken the ability to garner languages is not clearly explained. if even mentioned, in the force powers section of the thread.

Shouri
Cale Darksun

The Buy Them A Drink technique of communication also generally works with Mandalorians as well.  

Sayla-girl

Noble Dabbler

9,675 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Note: that probably won't work on me.... Most common social gestures are evaluated and dealt with by extreme prejudice.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 503 504 505 506 507 508 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games