Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Mos Eisley Cantina Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5355 5356 5357 5358 5359 5360 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:10 am
I had to explain that Monty Hall Problem thing to a friend of mine in SL.

I feel like a math teacher right now.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:01 am
A sexy math teacher?  

ElladanKenet
Crew

iKuumi

Lonely Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:56 am
Where?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 pm
mrgreen  

Missing00

Invisible Guildsman

9,100 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:32 pm
Isn't it ironic though that the dilemma is rather vague, because depending on the host's behavior, conditions, and extenuating circumstances, there are ways to work the problem into having the numbers result into always picking a goat or a car? While this psychological dilemma is considered conditional probability, I honestly have a feeling that it's lateral thinking with a dose of algebra and a touch of logical fallacy.

I.E. the option is only presented if the person picks the winning door, for example. Switching always loses. And this is still the same scenario as presented.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm
Nelowulf
Isn't it ironic though that the dilemma is rather vague, because depending on the host's behavior, conditions, and extenuating circumstances, there are ways to work the problem into having the numbers result into always picking a goat or a car? While this psychological dilemma is considered conditional probability, I honestly have a feeling that it's lateral thinking with a dose of algebra and a touch of logical fallacy.

I.E. the option is only presented if the person picks the winning door, for example. Switching always loses. And this is still the same scenario as presented.

at the beginning the person has a 66% chance of picking a goat and a 33% chance of picking a car so you would be more likely to pick a goat at the beginning and then switching to a car than picking a car and then switching to a goat.  

Missing00

Invisible Guildsman

9,100 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:42 pm
It's easier to explain the concept with a larger number.

For example, there's a lottery with exactly 1,000,000 combinations of numbers, and only 1 of those combinations can win.

By randomly picking a combination, you have a literal 1 in a million chance of winning.

Now, all combinations except the one you picked and 1 other combination are revealed to be non-winners. You are then given the option to switch to that 1 remaining combination that you didn't pick.

It appears to be a 50/50 chance, but this is a logical fallacy.

The one you picked was entirely random outta a 1 in a million chance, so if you stay with that initial choice, you still have those exact same odds of winning.

However, if you switch to the other remaining number, yours odds of winning are 999,999 out of a million.

The 3 door scenario is the same deal, but the odds are 33% and 66% because the odds of winning by switching increase with the more options there are.

To sum it up: The odds of winning by staying with your choice are always only as good as they were at the very beginning. Your odds increase by switching, so that's always the best option. The exception is when you actually land that smaller chance and actually picked the winner right off, but you never know that until it's over, so it's just a safer bet to always switch.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:57 pm
@ missing: Doi, but depending on the wording of the scenario, it can change drastically depending on the details that are being missed.

@ Both: This math problem actually does not work with only 2 doors... it must have 3+ for the math to work. But consider the following.

You pick one door.
The host picks a goat.
He only present the option to switch if you pick a goat door.
Your odds of being a winner: 100%

Same damn scenario, but we've explained the conditions better. Hence why conditional probability is little more than lateral thinking. Also note, that depending on which door you choose, the odds of success also change. If you pick door 1 or 3, instead of 2, your ability to "switch" and "win" might actually alter your probability of winning based upon the second decision. It only /seems/ like you'll win more, it doesn't change the odds at all.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 pm
Of course it doesn't work with a choice of 2, because then that's a pure 50/50 chance.

But this all assumes it's a fair play to begin with. There could always been cons that will shift things around based on your decisions behind the scenes if nobody is able to see back there, ensuring you never get the big prize.

There was an actual case of rigged contests, one in particular being a scratch-off deal. You get trivia questions and scratch-off 1 of multiple answers to each. If you luck out and only scratch-off the right ones, you win. However, it turned out that for like the last question, none of the answers were right, so no matter what you scratched-off, you couldn't win.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:58 am
User Image I prefer Monty Python.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Missing00

Invisible Guildsman

9,100 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 am
good morning everyone  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:20 pm
GOOOOOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAAAAM!  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:02 pm
Good Evening, Guild.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:38 pm
Good morning, Vietnam... I think  

ElladanKenet
Crew

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:07 pm
* shoots all the Charlies *

That's from Gump along with this message, " That's for Bubba, you Commie bastards. "  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5355 5356 5357 5358 5359 5360 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games