Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Mos Eisley Cantina Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5467 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:58 am
KABOOM! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:54 pm
eek
That can't be good...  

Empireth

Miss-Pandemica

Lonely Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:07 pm
ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:13 pm
Makey's Random comment of the day:
BALLS
N
WEEINERS
LAWL  

UNSC Taco Condoms

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:11 pm
First trailer for The Hobbit is online! I am so happy!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a691hE71FTQ  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:34 pm
i like the song

i cant wait to see this movie smile

i should probably read the book >.> i have a feeling i will get confused if i dont.  

Miss-Pandemica

Lonely Lunatic

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:09 am
pirate  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:08 am
I'm enjoying that they're keeping the songs in. Rankin bass put a pretty high bar for me, and PJ, while good with LotR, hasn't had much chance to show if he can do a fun-filled light-hearted story like the hobbit is...  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

ElladanKenet
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:30 am
*hides*  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:37 am
Nelowulf
I'm enjoying that they're keeping the songs in. Rankin bass put a pretty high bar for me, and PJ, while good with LotR, hasn't had much chance to show if he can do a fun-filled light-hearted story like the hobbit is...
Same here. My favorite part of both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings were the songs and poems. I was sad that most were cut from the LOTR movies (but cut songs were the least of those movies adaptation problems...stupid angst ridden Faramir...)  

Johnny Malone
Crew

ElladanKenet
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:08 pm
Time to work on my new character  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:30 pm
The songs in LotR weren't exactly something that set the mood as much, I think. Unlike in the Hobbit, which tends to have Bilbo focusing on the various moods of people by noting the types of singing, as he questions how the various cultures might be playing into it, LotR was a far more serious book. It can get away without really requiring Tom Bombadil if it must, for example, or the rest from being entirely jovial. Nay, the mood of the Hobbit (and that of Bilbo's constant moaning) is usually counterpointed by the songs. Especially since a fair many of them tend to help explain details or other insights into the quest itself. Be it cracking dishes and plates to show what bilbo baggins hates, the elves natural songs about wondering about the dwarves, the sinister plans and almost creepy descriptions of what they'll do to these tresspassers... all change the mood. But more importantly, they're a rather large focus in the books, whereas the songs of LotR were more glanced over and such.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

LostLiterature

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:34 pm
DA's got the mooo-ooo-ooo-oooves like Jagger. 3nodding xd

Besides...

I'm very excited that a teaser trailer has finally been released, and Im very good with the prospects. Following the video diaries have been enlightening up until now, but to see some actual footage is amazing.

I agree that the songs and poems were something very much left out, but I do hope that it will be much remedied in The Hobbit. Though I can understand if not, some break up the flow too much, which is everything unfortunately where big box office pictures are concerned. We enthusiast cannot always be catered too.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm
Nelowulf
The songs in LotR weren't exactly something that set the mood as much, I think. Unlike in the Hobbit, which tends to have Bilbo focusing on the various moods of people by noting the types of singing, as he questions how the various cultures might be playing into it, LotR was a far more serious book. It can get away without really requiring Tom Bombadil if it must, for example, or the rest from being entirely jovial. Nay, the mood of the Hobbit (and that of Bilbo's constant moaning) is usually counterpointed by the songs. Especially since a fair many of them tend to help explain details or other insights into the quest itself. Be it cracking dishes and plates to show what bilbo baggins hates, the elves natural songs about wondering about the dwarves, the sinister plans and almost creepy descriptions of what they'll do to these tresspassers... all change the mood. But more importantly, they're a rather large focus in the books, whereas the songs of LotR were more glanced over and such.
Go back and re-read the Lord of the Rings because the songs were instrumental in the feeling of the book. Just as much-if not more so- than in the Hobbit in my mind. An early example would be when Aragorn sings the tale of Beren and Luthien to the Hobbits, on a superficial level it is to pass the time and strengthen the hearts of the hobbits against the growing darkness of night. More specifically it foreshadows and is analogous to his own love with Arwen, which is only touched on the story proper but is expanded upon in the appendices. You bring up that in the Hobbit we get to know about the culture and characters in the songs, the same is true in Lord of the RIngs. One of the first encounters with the culture of the Rohirrim is through Aragorn's recitation of an ancient poem of Rohan. The fall of Sauron was announced to the people of Minas Tirith through song by one of the great Eagles. These are just a couple of examples but there are countless more I can provide. Songs and poetry are important to all of Tolkien's works, especially those which are more "serious," In fact Tolkien's idea of how the world of Arda was created is through music as described in the Silmarillion.  

Johnny Malone
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:56 pm
I stand by my former opinions, as made by numerous rereadings of the tale already. I needn't reread it again to only solidify my point.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5467 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games