Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Midnight Lounge (guestbook and chatter thread) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 am
Sanguina Cruenta

Brian Cox is going to be in another episode! He was so good last time, I am super looking forward to it. And David Mitchell and Sandi Toksveig and Phil Jupitus and Jeremy Clarkson and and and.....

QI sort of lost me, around season 7. The move to BBC One didn't do the show any favours - it got stiff, and it rotated through quite a few guests who didn't quite get the premise that it's more about being fun and entertaining, than right.

If it's a show full of old regulars, I'll usually watch it, but otherwise I don't care anymore.

I suspect I am proof to Brian Cox's 'charm' because I don't really care how supposedly adorable he is. whee  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:07 pm
That's a little unfair, isn't it? He's not charming because he's attractive, he's charming because he's witty and willing to go along with the fun. He's charming because his enthusiasm for science is infectious. If tomorrow he fell into a vat of acid and became hideously disfigured, he'd still be charming.

There are a couple of guests who don't get it, but most of the newer ones are great. One-timers.... Some of them are just random and are awesome, but the more gimmicky ones that are picked to match the episode really run the risk of being awful. Having said that some of them really really fit in and I'd love for them to come back again.

Sandi didn't turn up until later series. Eddie Izzard was a one-timer and he was fantastic, I'd have him back again in a second. Barry Humphries did commendably well. I don't think Ross Noble's first episode was until series H and he's a regular now. Daniel Radcliffe was fantastic, again, they should bring him back. David Tennant too. Graham Norton has only been on two and he fits right in, I demand more of him. Sarah Millican didn't turn up until series I and she was fab, I'd have her again. Henning Wehn was hilarious, if only because he went off on this rant about British people in their 70s claiming to have "won the war", but I'm not sure I'd want to have him back. And I really enjoy Gyles Brandreth, even though half the time he seems to have no idea what's going on. He's still really enthusiastic about the whole thing and when he realises they've been talking about something rude his face is fantastic. OMG AND HOW GOOD WAS JULIAN CLARY. More of him please. And Emma Thompson was amazing, especially when she started telling Cambridge Footlights anecdotes about Fry.

On the other hand some of the one-timers were awful. Ruby Wax just had no idea what was going on, and the only funny thing she said was when she asked if Ross was speaking English. The whole time you just wanted her to shut up, leave, or suffer a heart attack so everyone else could go back to having fun without her interruptions. And there was a woman with a puppet in one of them and I don't think anyone watched that episode because srsly. John Hodgman tried, but it didn't really work. And Brian Blessed I was really looking forward to, but it was like they tried to make it to gimmicky or something.... It didn't really work, I'm not sure he really got it. So I wouldn't have him back I don't think. It was nice to see him, though.

I'm hoping one day they do a Blackadder Reunion and have Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie and Rowan Atkinson. Also, Peter Serafinowicz and Richard E. Grant need to come back. They were both amazing and we haven't seen them since series A.

OHmygod I just checked the guest list for series J and Rhys Darby is going to be on it. ALAN IS GOING TO MERCILESSLY MOCK OUR ACCENT.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:11 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
That's a little unfair, isn't it? He's not charming because he's attractive, he's charming because he's witty and willing to go along with the fun. He's charming because his enthusiasm for science is infectious. If tomorrow he fell into a vat of acid and became hideously disfigured, he'd still be charming.

It's not his looks. It is entirely how excited-puppy he gets over the universe, verbally. After a while I kind of tune Prof. Cox out...eventually it's just noise in my ear, and I stop trying to follow it. I guess that sort of personality is lost on me. I tried watching his show a couple times and I couldn't make it all the way through. I think he's a fine person and loves his work, and it's nice that people are getting interested in science. I just have issues. xp

Quote:
Sandi didn't turn up until later series. Eddie Izzard was a one-timer and he was fantastic, I'd have him back again in a second. Barry Humphries did commendably well. I don't think Ross Noble's first episode was until series H and he's a regular now. Daniel Radcliffe was fantastic, again, they should bring him back. David Tennant too. Graham Norton has only been on two and he fits right in, I demand more of him. Sarah Millican didn't turn up until series I and she was fab, I'd have her again. Henning Wehn was hilarious, if only because he went off on this rant about British people in their 70s claiming to have "won the war", but I'm not sure I'd want to have him back. And I really enjoy Gyles Brandreth, even though half the time he seems to have no idea what's going on. He's still really enthusiastic about the whole thing and when he realises they've been talking about something rude his face is fantastic. OMG AND HOW GOOD WAS JULIAN CLARY. More of him please. And Emma Thompson was amazing, especially when she started telling Cambridge Footlights anecdotes about Fry.

Given that I have to dig hard to find British television at all here, since I don't have any actual television, and I can't have the same sort of cultural associations and attachments to these people, it makes our perspectives pretty varied from one another. I also enjoyed David Tennant. I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but I've seen him in other things and he's a very talented man. Graham Norton fits in anywhere. smile I don't like Sarah Millican on QI all that much; I first saw her on Mock The Week and it fits her style better in my mind. Ross Noble sort of irritates me in a vague way. I can take him or leave him. He's a person I've never heard of before seeing him on QI.

That's the problem with lots of people on these shows, for me. I haven't heard of them before and they have no other context for me. If they're not funny or seem stiff or awkward on QI, then I don't have any other references for them that might indicate how funny they are or aren't elsewhere. In the end, I have to try to seek out other things they've done to flesh out my experience of them. Sometimes it improves their standing in my head, and other times not at all.

Ironically, I only like Jimmy Carr on QI, and other panel shows. I refuse to watch his stand-up because it's vile, but when he's restrained by the situation it's good.

Series "E" was my favorite. I really thought they had the balance of guests well established there.

Quote:
On the other hand some of the one-timers were awful. Ruby Wax just had no idea what was going on, and the only funny thing she said was when she asked if Ross was speaking English. The whole time you just wanted her to shut up, leave, or suffer a heart attack so everyone else could go back to having fun without her interruptions. And there was a woman with a puppet in one of them and I don't think anyone watched that episode because srsly. John Hodgman tried, but it didn't really work. And Brian Blessed I was really looking forward to, but it was like they tried to make it to gimmicky or something.... It didn't really work, I'm not sure he really got it. So I wouldn't have him back I don't think. It was nice to see him, though.

OH the puppet. 'Gran' made me yell at the TV. SO bad. I didn't actually know who John Hodgman was, when he was on. I don't watch anything I don't specifically download, so I had no idea who he was. I like Andy Parsons tons on Mock the Week, but QI was definitely not his speed. Rory McGrath made everybody lose their minds...

I go back to the whole BBC One switch with these guests...the 'gravitas' of the guests increased dramatically, a kind of episodic name-dropping that went on...'Look at all the stars WE know'...but I'm not sure it was good for the show as a whole, at least from my perspective. But since I'm not a native of anywhere that broadcasts English programming, I don't have the familiarity and attachment to a lot of these people that folks in the UK or Ireland or NZ or Australia do. It's all about perspective - and I'm certainly not the target audience. My complaints probably don't mean squat. smile

Quote:

OHmygod I just checked the guest list for series J and Rhys Darby is going to be on it. ALAN IS GOING TO MERCILESSLY MOCK OUR ACCENT.

...I have no idea who that is. sweatdrop (Which shouldn't be surprising at this point!)  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:24 am
Sanguina Cruenta
I'm hoping one day they do a Blackadder Reunion and have Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie and Rowan Atkinson.

Please, oh gods, please do!  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100

KayaTesagi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:31 pm
There should be classes on here...just saying. Id join em if there was some  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:38 am
Well we have a book club...but we're not really reading much at the moment...  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

BrokeTheMoon

Dapper Vampire

4,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:13 pm
Just thought I'd pop in to say I'm lurking... ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:52 am
Hello there.  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:42 pm
Thought I'd pop in and apologize for being so absent. Every time I say I'm going to be more active I don't. I've been here for 6 years but never come on anymore. It's a pseudo-hiatus.

No but really, I just got married, got a new job this past summer, and am either going to start classes or start a family. Haven't decided. All that grown-up poo, you know. Plus I've been though some stuff that put all my spiritual muckings on the back burner, including this guild, which is one of the few reasons I stick around on here.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:55 am
Oh congratulations on getting married!  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

glasfuinneog

Friendly Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 pm
Hello Everyone!  
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm
Hi  

KayaTesagi

Moonlite__Syren

Cunning Hunter

10,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:33 pm
and here i am again. glad to be apart of this place again.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:21 am
Bringing this here so it doesn't derail the other topic.

iKillCaustic--uKillMe
You LARP? Sweet, I do too. My warband is the Undead of the Black Rose and I'm a lycan. Anyway...back on topic...

Nearly every Saturday. They're actually training me to be a storyteller so right now they place me as assistant storyteller when they need the extra help when we get a bunch of people.
We have two different games we run. One's more focused on vampires (though in the summer it gets loosened up to all creature types) and I'm playing a mummy in that game. And the second game is more focused on mages but werecreatures are allowed and I'm playing a were-mountian nyala in that one.

Last night was a crap ton of fun. That storyline is that time has been ripped apart and we're trying to fix it. So when we run out of time in one timeline everyone but me and two other guys have the possibility of having to switch characters and one of the other guys had to switch and play a cross dresser and it was so hilarious watching him play that character. I've been watching and waiting seeing if anyone is ever going to get any of my old characters.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:50 pm
When people try to force tarot readings (AND SPREADS) on you. gonk  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games