Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
GENERAL CHAT || Speak here. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 664 665 666 667 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:35 am

Delithraldur
I loathe kinetics... *shudders*

Kinetics stems from Physics, thus hatred ensues.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:39 am

Chemical_Kitten
It's all the first order/second order reaction rates and stuff... I hate it... crying

I'm not sure I remember that stuff, unless under a different name? Is it like taking the enthalpies of formation for all the different products and reactants of an equation, to find the enthalpy of the full equation?

WellzY
Crew

Chemical_Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:44 am

WellzY
Chemical_Kitten
It's all the first order/second order reaction rates and stuff... I hate it... crying

I'm not sure I remember that stuff, unless under a different name? Is it like taking the enthalpies of formation for all the different products and reactants of an equation, to find the enthalpy of the full equation?
Nah, this is different... I did thermo just before my mid-semester...

This is all working out whether something is first order (by doubling the reactants, the products will double) and second order (by doubling the reactants, the products will quadrouple)... And then using this alongside rate constants to work out the rate of reaction and quantities of reactants and products at certain times and half-lives and all this enzyme and activation energy stuff... I hate it... crying
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:45 am

Chemical_Kitten
This is all working out whether something is first order (by doubling the reactants, the products will double) and second order (by doubling the reactants, the products will quadrouple)... And then using this alongside rate constants to work out the rate of reaction and quantities of reactants and products at certain times and half-lives and all this enzyme and activation energy stuff... I hate it... crying

Don't you just use stoicheometry for that kind of thing? You know, the mole ratios?

WellzY
Crew

Chemical_Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:49 am

WellzY
Chemical_Kitten

Don't you just use stoicheometry for that kind of thing? You know, the mole ratios?
You're given concentration so you could do some like that, but not all. As far as I can remember, you can't use time in that to get the concentration at any point in a reaction (remember that reaction rate isn't constant).
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:50 am

Ahh people, there's a brain dead person here remember... neutral

Delithraldur

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:51 am

Chemical_Kitten
You're given concentration so you could do some like that, but not all. As far as I can remember, you can't use time in that to get the concentration at any point in a reaction (remember that reaction rate isn't constant).

I think you're a few steps ahead of us, because that really doesn't sound firmiliar at all, I'm learning it as you tell me right now. xp

You aren't given the reactions themselves? You're meant to find conversation rates at a certain time during the reaction? Ouch. Now, we havn't been taught that yet.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:55 am

Delithraldur
Ahh people, there's a brain dead person here remember... neutral

Sorry bub.

WellzY
Crew

Chemical_Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:59 am

WellzY
Chemical_Kitten

I think you're a few steps ahead of us, because that really doesn't sound firmiliar at all, I'm learning it as you tell me right now. xp

You aren't given the reactions themselves? You're meant to find conversation rates at a certain time during the reaction? Ouch. Now, we havn't been taught that yet.
You are given the reaction, yes. But you have to break it down into elementary levels or something like that... It's all based on collision theory stuff... when a molecule collides, there is only one point of intersection and so one reaction can only occur with two species if you know what I mean. One hits the other. That's called a bimolecular elementary step. With one molecule breaking apart it's unimolecular and trimolecular involves three species but is very rare. So, you assume that they do not occur. So, you break the reaction down into elementary steps so that you only have a list of bimolecular and unimolecular reactions and then you can work out whether something is first or second order (from the co-efficients but you can't do this in the full reaction) and then use this info to work out all the other stuff... It gets quite confusing because you end up with intermediates which are species that are produced in one elementary step and then a reactant in the next... They form like a transition... sweatdrop
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:04 am

Chemical_Kitten
You are given the reaction, yes. But you have to break it down into elementary levels or something like that... It's all based on collision theory stuff... when a molecule collides, there is only one point of intersection and so one reaction can only occur with two species if you know what I mean. One hits the other. That's called a bimolecular elementary step. With one molecule breaking apart it's unimolecular and trimolecular involves three species but is very rare. So, you assume that they do not occur. So, you break the reaction down into elementary steps so that you only have a list of bimolecular and unimolecular reactions and then you can work out whether something is first or second order (from the co-efficients but you can't do this in the full reaction) and then use this info to work out all the other stuff... It gets quite confusing because you end up with intermediates which are species that are produced in one elementary step and then a reactant in the next... They form like a transition... sweatdrop

Sort of sounds like the stuff I was talking about before, only you have to create your own steps in this one. It sounds workable from that explanation, but I'm sure there's something that's hitched you along the way.

Dinner now, be back later.

WellzY
Crew

Chemical_Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:06 am

WellzY
Chemical_Kitten

Sort of sounds like the stuff I was talking about before, only you have to create your own steps in this one. It sounds workable from that explanation, but I'm sure there's something that's hitched you along the way.

Dinner now, be back later.
I just get confused... sweatdrop

Have a good dinner 3nodding .
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:07 am

Yes, enjoy your dinner Wellzy.

Delithraldur

Chemical_Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:10 am

*bashes head on table* Screw you chemistry, screw you!!!!! scream scream scream scream scream scream crying
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:13 am

Chemical_Kitten
*bashes head on table* Screw you chemistry, screw you!!!!! scream scream scream scream scream scream crying
Glad I'm not called Chemistry, or I would be getting yelled at right about now. neutral

Delithraldur

Chemical_Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:14 am

Delithraldur
Chemical_Kitten
Glad I'm not called Chemistry, or I would be getting yelled at right about now. neutral
I wouldn't yell at you sweatdrop
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 664 665 666 667 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games