Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling
Wolf > All other characters Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:02 am
That tier list is still totally retarded. You can't really decided tier lists based off of a tournament.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:33 pm
maybe ther will never be a official tier list?  

dragwarrior

Psychoace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:10 am
Deathguiser
That tier list is still totally retarded. You can't really decided tier lists based off of a tournament.

Actually that's how you decide all tier lists. What better way then to use professional people in tournaments to figure out the potential with each character? Granted a "low tier" can defeat a "high tier" char. But its all based on potential.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:39 pm
Psychoace
Deathguiser

Actually that's how you decide all tier lists. What better way then to use professional people in tournaments to figure out the potential with each character? Granted a "low tier" can defeat a "high tier" char. But its all based on potential.

Wow. Oh come on, no matter how professional you are, everyone has different skill levels. Ths is in no way an accurate representation of how powerful characters are. For example, Link, Samus, Ness, and Luigi are in no way bottom tier. I don't know about some of the others, but these characters are great characters, and are not even that difficult to use. If you want my personal opinion, character tournaments don't decide s**t when it comes to tiers. This isn't even official.  

Deathguiser

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:41 pm
hes right u can be the strongest guy but use only one character  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:21 pm
Deathguiser
Psychoace
Deathguiser

Wow. Oh come on, no matter how professional you are, everyone has different skill levels. Ths is in no way an accurate representation of how powerful characters are. For example, Link, Samus, Ness, and Luigi are in no way bottom tier. I don't know about some of the others, but these characters are great characters, and are not even that difficult to use. If you want my personal opinion, character tournaments don't decide s**t when it comes to tiers. This isn't even official.

Then why are you so set on how it's such bullshit, if its not even official what should it matter to you? I agree there are different people and they have different potential but in a similar professional scene skill is roughly the same. That's why they base the tier list on that it's the closest amount of potential without there being a huge overwhelming gap.

It's all a really relative to a matchup thread and what better way than to use people whom attend tournaments regularly to base the skill of a character vs. another character? You can say it's bull all you want based on your opinion but this is made up by more than just one person, with proven fact.

But as I have said time and time again of course its not official its based roughly from tournament results, which should say something, that's why it will be constantly evolving.  

Psychoace

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:14 am
Psychoace
Deathguiser
Psychoace
Deathguiser

Then why are you so set on how it's such bullshit, if its not even official what should it matter to you? I agree there are different people and they have different potential but in a similar professional scene skill is roughly the same. That's why they base the tier list on that it's the closest amount of potential without there being a huge overwhelming gap.

It's all a really relative to a matchup thread and what better way than to use people whom attend tournaments regularly to base the skill of a character vs. another character? You can say it's bull all you want based on your opinion but this is made up by more than just one person, with proven fact.

But as I have said time and time again of course its not official its based roughly from tournament results, which should say something, that's why it will be constantly evolving.

I'm set on it being bullshit, because you keep on posting up stupid tiers. I mean, it doesn't even make sense. For example, Toon link, who is in D, is a far better character than, for example, sonic, who is a ranked higher. I very much doubt that every player in these tournaments has a close enough level of skill to even come clsoe to accurately giving a tier.

You shouldn't make a tier list based off of someone skill, but the character itself. a characters range, hit percentages, weight, manuevrability, things like that should contribute to how chaarcters are ranked. Not how much better Joe Smith is with pikachu over John Doe with lucario.

What I am trying to say is that these tournament results are next to meaningless. To tell the truth, the only correct looking tier there is S. So yeah, the tier is pretty much bullshit. So much so that it makes me say WTF whenever I look at it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:56 am
Deathguiser
Psychoace
Deathguiser
Psychoace
Deathguiser

I'm set on it being bullshit, because you keep on posting up stupid tiers. I mean, it doesn't even make sense. For example, Toon link, who is in D, is a far better character than, for example, sonic, who is a ranked higher. I very much doubt that every player in these tournaments has a close enough level of skill to even come clsoe to accurately giving a tier.

You shouldn't make a tier list based off of someone skill, but the character itself. a characters range, hit percentages, weight, manuevrability, things like that should contribute to how chaarcters are ranked. Not how much better Joe Smith is with pikachu over John Doe with lucario.

What I am trying to say is that these tournament results are next to meaningless. To tell the truth, the only correct looking tier there is S. So yeah, the tier is pretty much bullshit. So much so that it makes me say WTF whenever I look at it.

I think you got lost somewhere its not simply based on people using the characters. If that were the case then it would be a person tier list not a character tier list. I AM saying it is based on characters, from my deduction your better off just having the computers duke it out to find out the 'proper tier list'. Which would be inaccurate as computers are not prone to human error and ungodly frame work. Anyway i'm done arguing this with this trivial bullshit, if you do like accurate tournament results that aren't even a full fledged tier list then that's just how you are i'm not going to force it down your goddamn throat but don't go knocking it that's how it's been done since the original smash bros. Take the rest of your arguments to smashboards and maybe someone else will convince you of what i'm trying to say because apparently my methods are confusing.  

Psychoace

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:29 pm
Psychoace
Deathguiser
Psychoace
Deathguiser
Psychoace
Deathguiser

I think you got lost somewhere its not simply based on people using the characters. If that were the case then it would be a person tier list not a character tier list. I AM saying it is based on characters, from my deduction your better off just having the computers duke it out to find out the 'proper tier list'. Which would be inaccurate as computers are not prone to human error and ungodly frame work. Anyway i'm done arguing this with this trivial bullshit, if you do like accurate tournament results that aren't even a full fledged tier list then that's just how you are i'm not going to force it down your goddamn throat but don't go knocking it that's how it's been done since the original smash bros. Take the rest of your arguments to smashboards and maybe someone else will convince you of what i'm trying to say because apparently my methods are confusing.

W/e. I very mcuh doubt this is how tiers were made since the original, but again, whatever.

P.S. Either way you put it, people playing with characters doesn't accoutn for an accurate tier list. And like you said, neither do computers.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:51 pm
a dumb list doesnt show how good or bad a character is, its the player so ya ther will never be a list  

dragwarrior

Psychoace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:38 pm
dragwarrior
a dumb list doesnt show how good or bad a character is, its the player so ya ther will never be a list

.....yeah. But It's not a matter of player potential it's character potential otherwise all tier lists would be full of s**t. And if you thought the list was so stupid then why were you so surprised/excited/whatever when I first posted one?

Yeah a Captain Falcon player can beat a metaknight player but the potential leans heavily in favor of the metaknight player, simply based on his offensive, defensive and various other skills that put the falcon character at a severe disadvantage.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tier_list
An excerpt from the smash wiki community.

A tier list is a ranking of each character's metagame, based on tournament settings. It is an indicator of how each character is expected to perform, under tournament settings, in relation to the rest of the cast. Thus, tiers measure the potential of each character based on all currently known techniques and strategies that have been shown to be useful in tournaments. Tier lists are common in fighting games as well as many other competitive games involving a large selection of characters.

The tier list does not say anything about any single matchup. For example, if two players are equally matched in skill, and one uses Fox and the other uses Pichu, the tier list alone can not be used to predict the outcome of the match accurately. This is because the tier list looks at a character's overall potential and effectiveness, and individual matchups can be soft or hard counters that affect but do not entirely determine a character's ranking. For instance, in the aforementioned example, if the Fox vs. Pichu matchup was dramatically tipped in Pichu's favor, but Pichu suffered from poor matchups against every other character in the game, it would mean that Pichu beats Fox, but Pichu is still worse than Fox.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:42 am
I thought you were done arguing trivial things.  

Deathguiser

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:16 pm
That tournament rankings thread is pretty retarded actually considering they allow a lot of scrub tournaments to be counted. Just wait for the backroom to make something since they apparently know so much about the game, just seeing their discussions would scar our eyes rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:41 pm
Psychoace
dragwarrior

.....yeah. But It's not a matter of player potential it's character potential otherwise all tier lists would be full of s**t. And if you thought the list was so stupid then why were you so surprised/excited/whatever when I first posted one?

Yeah a Captain Falcon player can beat a metaknight player but the potential leans heavily in favor of the metaknight player, simply based on his offensive, defensive and various other skills that put the falcon character at a severe disadvantage.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tier_list
An excerpt from the smash wiki community.

A tier list is a ranking of each character's metagame, based on tournament settings. It is an indicator of how each character is expected to perform, under tournament settings, in relation to the rest of the cast. Thus, tiers measure the potential of each character based on all currently known techniques and strategies that have been shown to be useful in tournaments. Tier lists are common in fighting games as well as many other competitive games involving a large selection of characters.

The tier list does not say anything about any single matchup. For example, if two players are equally matched in skill, and one uses Fox and the other uses Pichu, the tier list alone can not be used to predict the outcome of the match accurately. This is because the tier list looks at a character's overall potential and effectiveness, and individual matchups can be soft or hard counters that affect but do not entirely determine a character's ranking. For instance, in the aforementioned example, if the Fox vs. Pichu matchup was dramatically tipped in Pichu's favor, but Pichu suffered from poor matchups against every other character in the game, it would mean that Pichu beats Fox, but Pichu is still worse than Fox.

because i wanted to see if my favs made it, but i learned it was just a list  

dragwarrior

Psychoace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:05 pm
Deathguiser
I thought you were done arguing trivial things.

With you yes.  
Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces