Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Your Wiccan/Pagan Path...and How Did You Know? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Share:
  yes!!!
  no :-(
View Results

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
I think wicca is purely nasty now. sigh.
But I like some of its aspects though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:44 am
iHecate
Then how do you go about saying you enjoy parts of wiccan and celtic paganism.
I thought I had that right at least.
Well I learned another thing at least, so thats good.
And I didn't think they we interchangable, that would be a little odd because they arn't the same thing.

Well, I think a big part of being able to say you enjoy it would be learning about it and practicing it. Although I think it's more important to be able to say you are called to to it.
One can enjoy and use the outer-court information of Wicca (read: the stuff that gets published in pop-Paganism books). Outer-court information is a common jumping-off point for people who are making their own eclectic paths. It makes their path Wiccan-inspired, or Wiccan-flavored, but it is not Wicca.
iHecate

Why do you think it is nasty?
It is perfectly acceptable for a religion to be able to self-regulate and define who is and is not a follower wink . Wicca's requirements are just more specific than other faiths. And as I said earlier, it's not for the masses 3nodding .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:37 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate
Then how do you go about saying you enjoy parts of wiccan and celtic paganism.
I thought I had that right at least.
Well I learned another thing at least, so thats good.
And I didn't think they we interchangable, that would be a little odd because they arn't the same thing.

Well, I think a big part of being able to say you enjoy it would be learning about it and practicing it. Although I think it's more important to be able to say you are called to to it.
One can enjoy and use the outer-court information of Wicca (read: the stuff that gets published in pop-Paganism books). Outer-court information is a common jumping-off point for people who are making their own eclectic paths. It makes their path Wiccan-inspired, or Wiccan-flavored, but it is not Wicca.
iHecate

Why do you think it is nasty?
It is perfectly acceptable for a religion to be able to self-regulate and define who is and is not a follower wink . Wicca's requirements are just more specific than other faiths. And as I said earlier, it's not for the masses 3nodding .

Not that their faith is discusting, but its very hard, if persay you enjoy and are taken byt some of its ways.
Hmmm actually thats a good way of saying it, I suppose it is more wiccan-inspired peices that I enjoy about it.
Yes I can get its not for everyone actually XD

[ nods ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:38 am
iHecate
Not that their faith is discusting, but its very hard, if persay you enjoy and are taken byt some of its ways.
Hmmm actually thats a good way of saying it, I suppose it is more wiccan-inspired peices that I enjoy about it.

It is hard. Wicca isn't interested in making converts or acquiring numbers. It's about quality, rather than quantity. Covens carefully screen their prospective members and take only those who have the right personality and potential - and even then they may not make it, since there is a lot of dedication and sacrifice involved in the work. "To learn you must suffer" is a key concept for approaching Wicca.

The Wica believe they are upholding their oaths and protecting Wicca's integrity by maintaining a standard of practice. Some people say this is discriminatory and eliteist. But nowhere in any of Wicca's laws or lore says we have to let everybody in because they think they're entitled to it.

No-one is entitled to Wicca - those who are initiates have earned their right to the title. The entitlement complex of today's society + the "Wicca is what you want it to be" attitude is particularily frustrating in combination: you get people telling you what you know about your own religion and its' practice, and its' standards, are WRONG. And that they should be handed all the things you worked very hard for, all wrapped-up in a pretty bow because they're special.

------------------------------------------------------

But you've pretty much got it - because the Wiccan faith is oathbound, its' actual ways are unknown to non-initiates. We don't teach Wicca to those not 'properly prepared'; meaning having been learning our outer-court materials, and then given a valid initiation into the tradition. Initiation is where a person attains and experiences the Mysteries - without this, Wicca is not possible.

What you may think of as Wicca, and what's popularily thought of as Wicca, often has little or no resemblance or use in Wiccan practice. If you're inspired by the eclectic neo-paganism that you've experienced and enjoyed, then by all means keep it. It's certainly valid. It just can't be called Wicca.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 pm
Morgandria
iHecate

It is hard. Wicca isn't interested in making converts or acquiring numbers. It's about quality, rather than quantity. Covens carefully screen their prospective members and take only those who have the right personality and potential - and even then they may not make it, since there is a lot of dedication and sacrifice involved in the work. "To learn you must suffer" is a key concept for approaching Wicca.

The Wica believe they are upholding their oaths and protecting Wicca's integrity by maintaining a standard of practice. Some people say this is discriminatory and eliteist. But nowhere in any of Wicca's laws or lore says we have to let everybody in because they think they're entitled to it.

No-one is entitled to Wicca - those who are initiates have earned their right to the title. The entitlement complex of today's society + the "Wicca is what you want it to be" attitude is particularily frustrating in combination: you get people telling you what you know about your own religion and its' practice, and its' standards, are WRONG. And that they should be handed all the things you worked very hard for, all wrapped-up in a pretty bow because they're special.

------------------------------------------------------

But you've pretty much got it - because the Wiccan faith is oathbound, its' actual ways are unknown to non-initiates. We don't teach Wicca to those not 'properly prepared'; meaning having been learning our outer-court materials, and then given a valid initiation into the tradition. Initiation is where a person attains and experiences the Mysteries - without this, Wicca is not possible.

What you may think of as Wicca, and what's popularily thought of as Wicca, often has little or no resemblance or use in Wiccan practice. If you're inspired by the eclectic neo-paganism that you've experienced and enjoyed, then by all means keep it. It's certainly valid. It just can't be called Wicca.

Oh goodness, nono.
I wouldn't call what I know now "wicca" or myself a "wiccan".
I've learned alot from you and Violet Song jat Shariff, which has been a wonderful help actually.
And aye, I am inspired by eclectic neo-paganism.. that and hedge witchery..or goodness and the practices of green witches.
@_@

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:03 am
iHecate
hat and hedge witchery..or goodness and the practices of green witches.
@_@

Now I'm going to confuse you again wink

What do you understand Hedgewitchery to be? How do you define it? How do you define green witchcraft?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
iHecate
hat and hedge witchery..or goodness and the practices of green witches.
@_@

Now I'm going to confuse you again wink

What do you understand Hedgewitchery to be? How do you define it? How do you define green witchcraft?

Well I am still looking into them but a green witch to me it someone that is intune with nature and the natural forces that surround them.
As well as respect and work with the goddess and god outside of a structured coven as they do in wicca keeping their life in balance, I suppose.
And practices the simplest of magic throughout their everyday life not just through the use of spells and rituals.
I know their are those who work in covens as well.
And a Hedge witch, I don't know much I just started to look into their beliefs and lifestyle.
To me at the moment, from what I know, a hedge witch is someone who centres their spiritual practices inside their home, making it a place of well-being and protection.
I admit I still don't know to much.
And I am sure you'll have things to say about my thought on it.
XD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:33 am
That's more "kitchen witch" than hedgewitch. More properly, a hedgewitch is a witch who practises "shamanic" other-world journeying. "Walking the hedge", if you will.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:49 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
That's more "kitchen witch" than hedgewitch. More properly, a hedgewitch is a witch who practises "shamanic" other-world journeying. "Walking the hedge", if you will.

Yes I actually just got to that in my readings.
>___<''

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:56 am
I been trying to enlighten myself and help others,but at the same time I think I'm searching for something. According to my guides and my regressions I been here for a very,very long time. And now I just don't know what to do. I came here for something, but I just can't find it.  

Koigokoro Konjou

XCannibal_ClownX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:13 pm
I haven't quite started studying yet, between family events and fixing up a house I haven't had the chance. So, with that being said, I'm unsure of the path I will take, and I'm going to swim around the internet, and find some books and things to read about paganism/Wicca/Witchcraft.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:04 pm
I was bought up catholic and have always believed in a 'god' but in rs at school once we were asked like what wed imagine god as. i said the energy in everything, god is everything that makes the world tick and everything is connected by 'him'. i believe in bonds connecting people etc. i then read up on pagan philosophy etc and realised thats what i believed. i then went on to think id like to be able to understand and connect with the world around me and this seemed the best way. id also like to be able to change the web to help people a little more. i do alot of charms and spiritual help for my friends and they tend to say it helps them smile  

divine_retrobution

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:01 am
I was baptized Catholic when I was younger. I didn't start getting into paganism till I was about 14 or 15. I was curious about the origins of my real name so I decided to do research on it (pretty incorrect research). Which got me interesting into the Celtic Pantheon (the Welsh, I am not touching the Gael Pantheon what so ever).

When I was 17 I decided to stupidly believe every bs lie she said concerning Wicca. I didn't know much about Wicca so it was easy for me to get bad information. I even called myself Wiccan. -shudder- I once again became a Catholic when I dated my boyfriend at the time who called himself a Christian. I became re-immersed in Paganism when I met a fellow by the name of Lupis Silvermoon. He was an interesting person. He kept trying to get me out of the rut I was in. And well it worked. At that time I was in the chatrooms on myspace more importantly the Christian chatrooms. When I met Lupis, I entered the Pagan chats and realized just how different it was from the Christian one. There was a lot more compassion and respect than what I encountered. So it pretty much sealed the deal for me.

But I did light research. Mainly because I going through a bad relationship. I was dealing with too much drama online and offline. I was cheated on twice. And I just didn't know if being a pagan was right or not. I didn't know if the Gods or Goddesses existed. I was at a loss, really. It felt like I lost a major part of my drive. I was numb all over. I wanted to pick my studies back up but it felt like I couldn't.

After posting in the M&R for the past few months, I actually found that little spark, my drive, re-ignited. After getting into it with a few of the Pagan regs of M&R and even the LD, I realized that what I learned about Wicca however little the information was, it was incorrect. But after talking to a few people, I still felt that same feeling of compassion when I first started talking to the people in those Pagan chatrooms. It's nice to know that I am among friends, and allies. And not among enemies. :3 And I've started to actually pick up my research again.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:21 am
I lean toward the philosophies and theories of chaos magic. Simply put, it's the only system I've encountered that adequately explains all of the paranormal wonkiness in the world.  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:51 am
I started out being raised in a Christian family, though I haven't ever been baptised or christened or anything like that. My life's had a lot of troubles when I was younger, and I asked for help and I heard and received nothing.. right about when I was 8 I started questioning if there really is a god or not.

When I was 13 one of my friends was telling me about "Wicca" and how her mom apparently used to practice it. I started reading books about it, and it was very different from anything I had heard before, and I liked the idea, but "Wicca" as told in the books seemed too.. happy and "white" to me. So I decided to just go my own path, becoming an eclectic, doing what I felt was right for me. Of course my mom was "yeah, right, whatever, it's just a phase" so she never minded me reading or learning or practicing anything. She'd give me funny looks sometimes, lol, but not to say I wasn't doing stuff to warrant it.

When I first was trying to find a god/dess, I ended up looking up egyptian deities, and came across Isis like most people do. She seemed nice enough, but Bast(et) was the one who I was most attracted to, mostly because she's a goddess of cats. I never actively worshiped, and still don't, anyone. I slowly lost interest in any of the egyptian god/desses, simply because it didn't feel right, as much as I may have liked them.

About when I was 16/17 I was in the M&R or some thread about Wicca, arguing what I thought it was. I don't know if that makes me an ex-fluffy or not, since I never thought myself to be Wiccan, just that I thought I already knew about it. It as a bit of a shock to relearn what it is, and to learn that what I was reading is just neo-pagan stuff.

At this point I'm fairly certain of my beliefs, I'm just still looking for a god/dess that appeals to me that I wouldn't mind worshiping. I know I don't need one, but I'm wanting to one day, and figure looking can't hurt any.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games