Um.. poke that is all
View Results

Winks191

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:27 am
lol  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:13 am
crazy_mongoose
Fuzia
Ya know... I never heard of a place feeding the animals chemicals? Wouldn't that be damaging to humans, too? confused
It's called steroids. Farmers use it to bulk up their cow beef so they're more meaty. At least... that's from burger manufacturing... ... I think... BUT YES. It DOES harm the people. Why do you think that there are some children (especially girls) mature at alarming rates now? I mean I saw a 12 year old running around with bigger tits than Pamela Anderson. o___O

Wow, I thought we were done with that?
I thought we were going to genetics now! I heard of the pig with extra ribbons for more meat, which doesn't hurt the animal or the the people that eats them, because it's just a pig with modified DNA neutral

Fuzia

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

crazy_mongoose
Crew

Dapper Fatcat

4,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Member 100
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:22 am
Fuzia
crazy_mongoose
Fuzia
Ya know... I never heard of a place feeding the animals chemicals? Wouldn't that be damaging to humans, too? confused
It's called steroids. Farmers use it to bulk up their cow beef so they're more meaty. At least... that's from burger manufacturing... ... I think... BUT YES. It DOES harm the people. Why do you think that there are some children (especially girls) mature at alarming rates now? I mean I saw a 12 year old running around with bigger tits than Pamela Anderson. o___O

I thought we were going to genetics now! I heard of the pig with extra ribbons for more meat, which doesn't hurt the animal or the the people that eats them, because it's just a pig with modified DNA neutral
LOL. Probably. Probably not. Besides, why are we eating porkers with modified DNA? How do we know it won't hurt us? OH RIGHT. BECAUSE WE DON'T.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:53 am
crazy_mongoose
Fuzia
crazy_mongoose
Fuzia

LOL. Probably. Probably not. Besides, why are we eating porkers with modified DNA? How do we know it won't hurt us? OH RIGHT. BECAUSE WE DON'T.

First: I excuse my lame english! It's ribs, not ribbons sweatdrop It's just close to the danish word "Ribben" -___-;

And umm! You won't get hurt by their DNA no matter what! Well, unless you take the pigblood and directly put it in your veins, but then again, that would kill you no matter what DNA it was (Unless it's your bloodtype... Hmm... Can you use pig-blood for trans-fusions? Guess not?) But, no! Just because you modify their DNA doesn't mean they become toxic or something like that, unless they develop some poison bags or something like that xd Because DNA won't affect you if you eat it, just like an extra rib won't be dangerous to eat, since it is naturally developed 3nodding  

Fuzia

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

E spiritus Halloween

Dapper Capitalist

14,875 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:54 am
I'm not sure that modifying animal DNA directly is legal.

I know that breeding for that kind of think is perfectly legit though. Thats part of why farm chickens are so much dumber than free-range chickens.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:59 am
Yea well, I don't know if it was DNA-Modifying, but somewhat along that... They took a bulls semen and contained it in a very cold room freezer thingy, and ejected it into cows, so they would get healthy caddle that had the same genes as that bull, because it was somewhat very strong and healthy... And also very potent, apparently xd  

Fuzia

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

Elendil Telperien

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:08 am
You, as a human being, do not possess the ability to absorb genetic material and assimilate it in to your own...So you can't be damaged by altered genes...

Genetic modification of an animal can't make eating it hurt that person...DNA is DNA...If it's modified...It's still DNA...The actual chemical is still the same...It might just have an extra cytosine group where an adenine one would be normally...Which you wouldn't notice and your body wouldn't treat any differently to anything else...

If you change the rib gene from 'regular amount of ribs' to 'excessive amount of ribs', that's all you'll change...

I personally do not see how an 'excessive rib' gene could cause harm to anyone at any point...Through breeding or not...

The reason we don't have pigs with 200 ribs is because scientists didn't have evidence of what would happen if such pigs were to breed...Either with themselves or with normal pigs...

It basically went down something like this:

Stupid person scared of change: "could it potentially give the lil piggy children laser eye powers, IQ's of 5 billion and a taste for human flesh?"

Science guy: "There's an infinitely tiny possibility that through another 100 million years of evolution that that could happen..."

This reply was interpretted as being a "yes" by the spaz asking the question...

That is why we don't have pigs made of ribs... 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:21 am
Elendil Telperien
You, as a human being, do not possess the ability to absorb genetic material and assimilate it in to your own...So you can't be damaged by altered genes...

Genetic modification of an animal can't make eating it hurt that person...DNA is DNA...If it's modified...It's still DNA...The actual chemical is still the same...It might just have an extra cytosine group where an adenine one would be normally...Which you wouldn't notice and your body wouldn't treat any differently to anything else...

If you change the rib gene from 'regular amount of ribs' to 'excessive amount of ribs', that's all you'll change...

I personally do not see how an 'excessive rib' gene could cause harm to anyone at any point...Through breeding or not...

The reason we don't have pigs with 200 ribs is because scientists didn't have evidence of what would happen if such pigs were to breed...Either with themselves or with normal pigs...

It basically went down something like this:

Stupid person scared of change: "could it potentially give the lil piggy children laser eye powers, IQ's of 5 billion and a taste for human flesh?"

Science guy: "There's an infinitely tiny possibility that through another 100 million years of evolution that that could happen..."

This reply was interpretted as being a "yes" by the spaz asking the question...

That is why we don't have pigs made of ribs... 3nodding

First of all, I WANT A PIGGY WITH LAZER EYES!

Second of all, I completely trust genetics these days, and I do believe we can make a pig like that, with no altereffects, other than requiring a massive amount of space! ... If we don't want it to have a higher IQ, we just shouldn't touch the RNA for the brain, rather than the DNA  

Fuzia

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

Tai Takahashi
Vice Captain

Dapper Lunatic

7,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:33 am
The problem with messing with the genetics is, as far as nature is concerned, it's completely unnatural so couple that with all the inbreeding they do and you'll end up losing more animals than not. They'll end up small and stupid with God only knows what else but, hey, at least they'll have an extra rib. -Shrug.-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:34 am
Yeah...I entirely agree with Fuzia...

Changing DNA is like editing a text document full of values...

Head = 1
Arms = 2
Legs = 2
Eyes = 2
Eye Colour = Blue

If you change the value of Arms to 7 and hit 'save'...You'll still have 1 head, 2 legs and blue eyes...

edit: With regards to 'natural' vs 'unnatural'...People are randomly born mutated for no good reason...Sure, most of the time inbreeding has something to do with it...But no one engineered that little Indian girl to have more arms and legs than she should have...

Basically...'Nature' ******** stuff up way more than people can...But it's deemed to be 'Natural'...So it's 'ok'...

edit2: In addition to that, there are probably piggies out there with more ribs than they should have...(People sometimes have more ribs too)...So if we were to encourage the extra rib by putting all extra-ribbed piggies together and letting 'nature' take it's course...Would that be ok?

Elendil Telperien

xVoltaire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:06 am
I tried to be one, about a year later I felt realy sick, I went to my Doc. and It turns out I lacked the right minnerals that you could get from meat easialy but there were few fruits that has the right minerals and the ones that did were processed anyway so i went the easy(And health to myself) way.

cor there are some funny posts here smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:42 pm
did you guys hear about how they can put cloned cows and cloned cows milk on the market without labeling that it was a clone cow. that is ******** up soo much i dont have anything funny to say about it. confused  

mailer04

NarcolepticDoom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:10 pm
I saw this thing on the Science channel where this one scientist was altering to genetic materail of goats that caused the proteins found in spider silk would show up in goat milk.

We'll soon have spider goats running around, either that or all the little goats will choke to death as they try to feed off the milk from the momma goat.

The reason behind that particular genetic alteration would be to harvest the spider/goat milk/silk stuff to use in construction materials, so that we could make bridges and such.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:51 pm
Elendil Telperien
Yeah...I entirely agree with Fuzia...

Changing DNA is like editing a text document full of values...

Head = 1
Arms = 2
Legs = 2
Eyes = 2
Eye Colour = Blue

If you change the value of Arms to 7 and hit 'save'...You'll still have 1 head, 2 legs and blue eyes...

edit: With regards to 'natural' vs 'unnatural'...People are randomly born mutated for no good reason...Sure, most of the time inbreeding has something to do with it...But no one engineered that little Indian girl to have more arms and legs than she should have...

Basically...'Nature' ******** stuff up way more than people can...But it's deemed to be 'Natural'...So it's 'ok'...

edit2: In addition to that, there are probably piggies out there with more ribs than they should have...(People sometimes have more ribs too)...So if we were to encourage the extra rib by putting all extra-ribbed piggies together and letting 'nature' take it's course...Would that be ok?

Tbh, I think I'm missing a rib on the left side neutral
Damn genetic, what doctor did I have? scream

No, but seriously... One side of my ribs are higher than the other... It looks awkward  

Fuzia

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

Winks191

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:25 pm
they can also clone dogs and stuff to it is so wierd (I wonder if they could clone me?)  
Live, guild! LIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff