Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Salutations, Greetings and Introductions Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 55 56 57 58 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:17 am
jaeann
I am actually also quite impressed that there are people who are under, say 16, here- I guess I suffered from the bias that anyone 15 or under was all into the txt speak thing, and seeing that it is not so restores my faith in humanity a little. heart
TO be honest, I don't blame you; most people my age are quite illiterate. Not to mention temperamental.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:10 pm
DarkElf27
jaeann
I am actually also quite impressed that there are people who are under, say 16, here- I guess I suffered from the bias that anyone 15 or under was all into the txt speak thing, and seeing that it is not so restores my faith in humanity a little. heart
TO be honest, I don't blame you; most people my age are quite illiterate. Not to mention temperamental.

Oh God, someone who see these morons for what they are. See, they think they know everything, and that their s**t don't stink. Which really gets my grits, and that they get away with it pisses me off as well. I'm not going to say anymore these people today just piss me off...  

Daemon_King

Acanthea Grimscythe

Beloved Lunatic

9,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:09 am
Hrrm. I'm fourteen, like a few others here. I have this odd obsession with grammar and spelling which as commonly gotten on the nerves of my peers. I hope to someday be a successful writer. My current college plan is to get a Ph. D. while majoring in the Liberal Arts. My goal is to become a college English Prefessor.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:36 pm
I'm Chris, 28, PhDing in Comparative Literature by night, magazine editor by day. German is the fourth (after Spanish, French, and Gaeilge) language I've attempted to study, and the only one I'm good at, mostly because it has incredibly strict and unyielding grammatical rules that appeal to how my scattered and tangential mind works; I don't have to get all stressy about whether the adjective goes before or after the noun, because there's only one place it's allowed to go.

The only slang that I do tend (and frequently!) to lapse into is Buffy-speak and Gilmore-Girls-banter. My real-life speaking style is absolutely influenced by both shows, as well as by the old screwball comedies of the 30s and 40s that inarguably influence their writers.

My pet peeves include:
* "supposably"
* "on accident"
* any usage of the word "unique" when paired with a superlative or comparative.
* dangling prepositions
* misuse of "literally" (mostly because I very often am guilty of this)
* confusion of "infer"and "imply"

I'm by no means evil or a**l about grammar, though I have been known to use sarcasm as a weapon!  

i_heart_ron

Mitsuki_MoonChild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:18 am
hello I am Aqua and new to this guild!
I have always dislike chat speak or text talk which ever you want to name it.
My sister is always using text talk and i have to constantly tell here that if it's important enough to say then you should type it out!
Sometimes though people's text talk is incomprehensible!
Well i do love proper grammar but im sorry becuase i picked up this bad habit of too many exclamation marks!
Well I hope that we can be friends!

sincerely,
Aqua  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 pm
CinnaMint Mocha
Hrrm. I'm fourteen, like a few others here. I have this odd obsession with grammar and spelling which as commonly gotten on the nerves of my peers. I hope to someday be a successful writer. My current college plan is to get a Ph. D. while majoring in the Liberal Arts. My goal is to become a college English Prefessor.

Also fourteen, and possibly suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder! I don't care if people use txt speak in instant messaging, but on a forum? That's just being lazy... Usually, there's not much of a hurry. If you can type well, there's even less reason to be rushing.

Long live vowels. There's a reason they cost money on Wheel of Fortune.  

counting pulses

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:20 am
i_heart_ron

My pet peeves include:
* "supposably"
* "on accident"
* dangling prepositions

"Supposedly" was the correct word, last time I checked.
"By accident."
I'm afraid you lost me on the "unique" one. What are superlatives and comparatives?
What's a dangling preposition?
I'm probably guilty of misusing "literally" too. "He literally jumped 20 feet into the air!"
What's the difference between "infer" and imply"?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:22 pm
Shinobi 1977
i_heart_ron

My pet peeves include:
* "supposably"
* "on accident"
* dangling prepositions

"Supposedly" was the correct word, last time I checked.
"By accident."
I'm afraid you lost me on the "unique" one. What are superlatives and comparatives?
What's a dangling preposition?
I'm probably guilty of misusing "literally" too. "He literally jumped 20 feet into the air!"
What's the difference between "infer" and imply"?
I just think that when people say that she's annoyed... sweatdrop  

~prize_in_the_box~

RawrRibbon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:34 pm
Well, I am a 14 year-old art lover from New York trying to get by on stail bread and cheep wine. I would'nt call my art wrong or my peoms and passages crewl. I like to tell the truth and the countless times of newbies and unlitrate youth typing away..Throughing up in there keyboreds...Making ugly...ugh..Anyways, I like many of you donnot stand for those people..So, I guess I belong here. I hope to meet new people, and maybe some new friends. My Name is Miss.Purple at your service.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:58 pm
Tis I, Tizio. Wishing to expand my vocabulary and unlock knowledge of English... or something along those lines.

G'day

1337 p1r4t3

Myriane

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:37 pm
Hi there! As I have probably already mentioned in other threads in this guild forum, I am a 21 years old French Canadian female. So, as you can read, my English is quite literate, especially considering where I come from (I come from a region not too far from Montreal, but where the English is considered as a second-rate language and as something not worth applying yourself to learn). I was lucky enough to come into a family that was bilingual and where I was shown cartoons (Bugs Bunny for example) in English instead of in French. So I was encouraged to learn the English better than some of my peers. Even my French is better than some of my friends (although, as in English, I do better in the written form than in the spoken form). Oh and my interests are very varied, though not new to this thread. I like Role Play Games, especially table top, video games, reading, computer games, surfing the net, writing, drawing (I'm average), hanging out with my friends, hanging out with my boyfriend, listening to music (generally all kinds of music except really heavy metal, country, western, some hip hop and some rap), animes and mangas (things like FMA, Love Hina, Trigun, Kodocha, Kare Kano, CCS).  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:01 pm
Woo! My long request didn't work against me!

Well, I'm MitsuneKitsune. You can call me MitKit if you'd like. I'm fourteen, in eighth grade, though I should be in ninth (I failed my first year of seventh grade, due to me not doing any homework, and I couldn't go to summer school because we got the paper with information a week after it started, and they wouldn't answer whenever we called except once, and they never got back to us.) and I hate my school. The food is horrible. It's all covered in grease. Yet they got rid of bagels because they said they're unhealthy? Take two people who're exactly alike, health wise. Make one eat bagels for the rest of his life, and the other the greasy food the cafeteria makes. See who dies first. My school's really against public displays of affection. I can't hug my, "cousin" Zack, yet two girls can make out right next to us? Ridiculous. Zack really isn't my cousin, but people are idiots and assume that if you talk to a guy, and hug him, that he's your boyfriend, so he tells people we're just cousins.

Eh..I tend to ramble in introductions and discussions, as you can see. Get me on a topic, and I won't stop until I realize how much I've typed. Let's see... My favorite colors are orange, blue, red, and green. I do have a boyfriend, and his name is Matt. I havn't seen him since September, though, because his parents became busy. We're going to go out sometime this week, hopefully, since it's vacation, and I'm going to force my mum to take us.

I get songs stuck in my head easily, and sometimes they all merge. It's annoying, but if I can pick out one, I'm fine. Right now, I got, "Waka Laka" in my head.

I'm...Going to stop my introduction now. Hello, though domokun  

Titty Sprinkles

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:01 pm
Welcome to 3G MitKit. We're glad to have you aboard.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:32 am
Thank you ^^' I'll do my best to post more than I usually do  

Titty Sprinkles

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:49 pm
Hiya^_^

My name is Tonya, but you can call me Lones or Ki. I'm 17, but half the time I'll type 16 because I'm so used to doing it.

I know that I don't have perfect grammar, and I won't claim I do. I always check my spelling and grammar through the spell checkers in Word programs.

I also make LOADS of typos and grammar errors but I am trying.

I guess the main reason I joined is this little thing that people do that drive me up a wall.

It seems that people would rather type or 'u' in such sentances as 'c u l8r' then add a couple of extra letters. I simply cannot stand it! Call me crazy but it's so annoying.

But, I don't mind l337. I won't type it here if it annoys anyone but I love typing it with my friends.

Er, about me. Well, I'm currently engaged to a writer(he's very good!)and we're going to be married August 12th, 2006.

I love to write but I wouldn't dare call myself a writer. I'm more of an anime artist. =D  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 55 56 57 58 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff