Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
silver ravenwolf? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like silver ravenwolf?
  yes
  no
  i've never looked into her
View Results

Nattfodd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:59 am
neko wyndy wytch
I can finally read her works and see for myself what does and doesn't work. Thus far none of her s**t actually works. her circle casting with angels... why would a servent a Yaweh come and help a pagan?

I'm still unsure as to whether she expects the type of spells presented in Teen Witch to actually work, or to make you into a public spectacle for mockery. I mean, really. Let's take a look at something here:

Teen Witch, p181
Quote:
Owie-Fix Spell

Try this little spell for bothersome cuts or scrapes, or even acne! Hold your hand over the afflicted area and say:

Owie-fix, Owie-fix
You're the fairy that I pick
Bring the healing
Come right quick!

Keep repeating this spell until the pain goes away. Be sure to seek appropriate medical treatment.

This is pretty similar to a number of her other 'spells' as well. If I found my kid reading this, I'd be scolding them for being a dumbass, not for being part of a different religion.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:43 pm
Nattfodd
neko wyndy wytch
I can finally read her works and see for myself what does and doesn't work. Thus far none of her s**t actually works. her circle casting with angels... why would a servent a Yaweh come and help a pagan?

I'm still unsure as to whether she expects the type of spells presented in Teen Witch to actually work, or to make you into a public spectacle for mockery. I mean, really. Let's take a look at something here:

Teen Witch, p181
Quote:
Owie-Fix Spell

Try this little spell for bothersome cuts or scrapes, or even acne! Hold your hand over the afflicted area and say:

Owie-fix, Owie-fix
Bring the healing
Come right quick!

Keep repeating this spell until the pain goes away. Be sure to seek appropriate medical treatment.

This is pretty similar to a number of her other 'spells' as well. If I found my kid reading this, I'd be scolding them for being a dumbass, not for being part of a different religion.
That.. that's horrible. Some of the ones I liked were the Call me and don't call me spells (also found in Teen witch)  

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:12 am
neko wyndy wytch
Nattfodd
neko wyndy wytch

Teen Witch, p181
Quote:
Owie-Fix Spell

Owie-fix, Owie-fix
Bring the healing
Come right quick!

That.. that's horrible. Some of the ones I liked were the Call me and don't call me spells (also found in Teen witch)

i have to agree, that's just terrible! but i already pity the parents whose teenagers seriously use the term 'owie'... just yikes.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:04 pm
whiporwill-o

i have to agree, that's just terrible! but i already pity the parents whose teenagers seriously use the term 'owie'... just yikes.
Her Call me spell in Teen witch has worked for me. It was one of the first spells I ever used. The guy in question was not good at returning phone calls. So I used a bit of magic as a test and it worked. I might try it again with some one I didn't call.  

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

EstellaHanzatsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:12 am
one of her books was the fist witchcraft book that i managed to get a hold of.
while it did provide some good information there wasn't really enough and she made the book way too personal.
the best thing about it was the suggested reading list  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:53 am
One of the first things I do when I pick up any book is look at the suggested reading list and the bibliography. That tells me what I can expect from the source.  

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

x-moon-x-daughter-x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:58 am
Starlock
Eh, I don't know if I'd call "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" the 'least crappy' of her books. I simply found it unremarkable in most respects except for the writing style - which some people love and other people hate. Overall, the author gets far more prejudice than she deserves. It's particularly interesting to note that otherwise tolerant Neopagans suddenly start hate-mongering when Silver Ravenwolf comes up. Whatever happened to simply accepting other people's paths, eh? Simply say it isn't for you and move on; no need to be disrespecting.

thank you starlock, this is the veiw that i have, paganism has so many different paths and so many different views. SRW veiws are an example of this. to be a tolerant person doesnt mean only being tolerant of certain things. everyone has a right to their beliefs and religion.

Starlock
*shrug* I think she designates her books as Wicca/Witchcraft "for a new generation" precisely because she recognizes that it is a break from the traditional generation.

this is also true, she Does say new generation
Reine Lunaire
This really gets in my hair. Because of these SRW worshippers, I can't even tell my parents what I am in a respectable manner, or they'll group me with them, too. And then I'll be sent to some snooty private Catholic school to have it "beaten out of me".

its not because of the "SRW worshippers" that parents behave like this, its the misinformation. while paganism is begining to make its advancements into being accepted as a religion, there are still ALOT of misconceptions and prejudices that take a while to weed out. even if SRW wasnt spreadling lies then there still would be that underlying hate and humans Do Not give up hate easily.

my parents had never even heard of SRW. but because they were raised under the Christian "Thou shalt not do magick" and "Thou shalt have no other god before me" (i had to do catichism before i found wicca) then they do not agree with my decision and militantly brought me to church every sunday because "i needed it"

Vanya Karamazov
She includes decent information, but almost seems to be holding the reader's hand too much, giving them explicit play-by-plays on spell casting and word for word devotions. I find this approach extremely impersonal, but then again I also think that the best kind of learning is done by finding what works for you and not reading someone else's devotion aloud.

i dont think she gives you the devotions and everything to do as a "word for word this is what you must do" type of a thing. I think she offers the word for word options as examples for you to build your own devotions off of. she does the same for circle casting and sacred space.

Zabora Leonheart
I have read alot on the pros and cons on ravenwolf but the fact is that she incorperates good teachings. I know she says things like real witchs dont use blood in rituals but I know that some do. Its a vary old practice. But would you like a bunch of goth wanna-be wiccans running around cutting themselves not understanding the backlash of such strong magick?

i can very much understand this. if shes marketing to younger readers in their teens, there are enough teens that go through cutting stages and depression as it is. if she starts telling them that its ok, they can really hurt themselves. plus it helps to start them off slow and let them learn about the much stronger magick later.

Violet Song jat Shariff
Great that you've managed to learn from her books.
However, I am doubtful that every teen, serious or not about witchcraft, would be able to do the same. To draw a parallel, it's great that you know how to handle a rifle. But I am not foolish enough to expect EVERYONE your age to know that same information.

well, i've only been researching wicca and witchcraft for 2 years but most of what zabora said i Have picked up on and agree with. i havent had much of a chance to practice any magick because my family frowns upon my religion but the few spells i Have practiced have gone well. and most of them i performed when silver's was the only book i had read (i have since read 2 other authors)

Violet Song jat Shariff
I dare say that if you are blatantly ignoring the actual inaccuracies pointed out with Ravenwolf's books rather than investigating them further on your own, you are probably just as much a sheep as you accuse the rest of us to be. So welcome to the fold. BAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

even though there Are inaccuracies she Does have some good information. there may not be a lot of it, but it Is there. you just need to be able to weed it out

Morgandria
Zabora Leonheart
Ok lets see if I can explain this again...OPPINION!

And your opinion still doesn't trump objective facts. There's a word for that state you described: seeing only what you want to see, hearing only what you want to hear. It's called denial. No-one's gonna stop you if you want to go through life like that - but if you keep your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears, don't be surprised when you walk off a cliff.

You really, obstinantly, just don't "get it", and you don't want to.

and again, you guys arent seeing that his opinion has facts in it as well. religion is Largely up to what someone believes and we Can't dictate that.

Violet Song jat Shariff
The whole premise of most of your points rests on your own personal views as somehow being superior or higher than others.

he never said that his beliefs were superior to others. he's just saying that is what He belives and that is what He will follow. you cant choose what he follows and he cant choose what you follow. its as simple as that.

Violet Song jat Shariff
Some people learn their lessons better from experience.
Little kid putting their hand on the hot stove, for instance.

i will agree with you here

Violet Song jat Shariff
If someone is doing something to suit their needs, I'm pretty sure they view it as something right. It might be wrong by your standards, but we know how much sway those hold over all 3nodding .

now, i've actually done a few things (mundanely) to suit my needs that i knew were wrong but i was desperate.

granted it wasnt Too bad but i still got into trouble.

Violet Song jat Shariff
As do I.
It's kind of troublesome then to boast that Ravenwolf doesn't see it as a science, but a religion.

I'm pretty sure i read in one of her books that she said witchcraft was a science.

Violet Song jat Shariff
Zabora Leonheart

I was simply stating that eventually you got to weed through the OPPINIONS of people and go with what feels right to you. And who said she was my favorit author? I am quite fond of Buckland myself.

So still...your favorite author is an oath-breaker and a culture rapist. You should be quite proud. I can't figure out if that's a step up or a step down

i've actually heard that Buckland was ok

Starlock
Zabora, you're unlikely to convince most people to ignore a well-established slander campaign. I don't understand it either, especially given that her errors are far from unique to her and her material is significantly similar to probably a hundred other works on the market. She's not my favorite author, but to say there is absolutely positively nothing of value whatsoever in her works is absurd and honestly should not need a defense (which is partly why I didn't try to do what you did). I've yet to read anything - ANYTHING - that I haven't found something useful in. Even if that usefulness was rolling my eyes and going "good gods, this is total crap." If nothing else, it helps you know where your understanding lies, eh?

again starlock i agree with you.

Violet Song jat Shariff
Would you care to point out another Pagan author who encourages younger practitioners to lie to their parents about what they are doing?

but she Does have some good info in her books. if they are good kids they will know not to listen to the print on the page. hell I'm not a good kid and i didnt lie to my parents once they saw me with the book.[quote="ncsweet]What worse about her is that she makes everything sound so wonderful and easy, that when people find out that there is so much more to it - it is that much harder to take, and ends up causing a lot of pain and frustration. Not much is worse than finding out that your faith and/or practice is built on lies.

the thing is though shes the one that got me started and i Understood that it'd be alot of work. just from what she was saying.

and yeah that owie fix is stupid but you need to pick around that stuff. there Is some information in her books.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:28 am
and ravenwolf recommends Scott Cunningham to readers in TeenWitch, so that must mean she got her info from somewhere right?  

x-moon-x-daughter-x

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:39 pm
Well, you appear to have made up your mind on the subject. I find your stance willfully ignorant, but it's your life.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:46 pm
x-moon-x-daughter-x

thank you starlock, this is the veiw that i have, paganism has so many different paths and so many different views. SRW veiws are an example of this. to be a tolerant person doesnt mean only being tolerant of certain things. everyone has a right to their beliefs and religion.

Yes, there are different views. However, in a lot of cases, there are correct and incorrect ways of doing things.

So, if everyone has the right to their beliefs and religion, those racist assholes who use my gods to defend their bigotry, that's cool, right? And when they tell me that I can't worship my gods because my skin isn't light enough and my eyes are too squinty, that's just ********, right?

The only thing SRW is evidence of is that you can completely rape a religion to make money and there will always be some ignorant t**t to eat it up.

Quote:
this is also true, she Does say new generation

Great. If it's a new generation, make the material new. Don't twist and rape an already established faith with specific tradition.

Quote:
its not because of the "SRW worshippers" that parents behave like this, its the misinformation. while paganism is begining to make its advancements into being accepted as a religion, there are still ALOT of misconceptions and prejudices that take a while to weed out. even if SRW wasnt spreadling lies then there still would be that underlying hate and humans Do Not give up hate easily.

So you do admit to seeing that SRW is spreading lies and not giving a s**t about it?
Protip: SRW's lies contribute a ******** to the misinformation that people eat up.

Quote:
my parents had never even heard of SRW. but because they were raised under the Christian "Thou shalt not do magick"

Holy ********, when did Crowley build a time machine and have them insert "magick" into the OT?? surprised
Quote:
and "Thou shalt have no other god before me" (i had to do catichism before i found wicca) then they do not agree with my decision and militantly brought me to church every sunday because "i needed it"

Witchcraft is not inherently theistic.

Quote:
i can very much understand this. if shes marketing to younger readers in their teens, there are enough teens that go through cutting stages and depression as it is. if she starts telling them that its ok, they can really hurt themselves. plus it helps to start them off slow and let them learn about the much stronger magick later.

If a teen is that unstable, they probably shouldn't be ******** with magic workings anyways.

Quote:
well, i've only been researching wicca and witchcraft for 2 years but most of what zabora said i Have picked up on and agree with. i havent had much of a chance to practice any magick because my family frowns upon my religion but the few spells i Have practiced have gone well. and most of them i performed when silver's was the only book i had read (i have since read 2 other authors)

That's nice. I'm really impressed. No, really I am.

Quote:
even though there Are inaccuracies she Does have some good information. there may not be a lot of it, but it Is there. you just need to be able to weed it out.

And again this leads back to the point that not everyone, especially beginners who wouldn't know a source text if it crawled up their a** and ******** them, is able to weed out the s**t from the fact.

Quote:
and again, you guys arent seeing that his opinion has facts in it as well. religion is Largely up to what someone believes and we Can't dictate that.

Actually, as a proper Wiccan, Morgandria has authority to tell someone "No that is not/you are not Wiccan."
So if someone's beliefs involve mutilating their kids' genitals and handing them over to be gang-raped, that's cool, right?

Quote:
he never said that his beliefs were superior to others. he's just saying that is what He belives and that is what He will follow. you cant choose what he follows and he cant choose what you follow. its as simple as that.

See, this is where critical thinking skills will be handy for you.
No, she never came straight out and said her beliefs were better than others. However, the whole painting other traditions and practices that don't agree with hers as "chaotic" or "evil" or "dark" says otherwise.

Quote:
i've actually heard that Buckland was ok

He is considered an oath-breaker by what I gather to be a good portion of the Wiccan community. Not to mention his blatantly racist series of books on "gypsy" magic scream

Quote:
but she Does have some good info in her books.

Please provide this "good information." You kids keep mewling on about it, I want to see it. What is found in her books that can not be found in another author's book that lacks the bigotry, revised history, and encouragement of lying to parents??
Quote:
if they are good kids they will know not to listen to the print on the page. hell I'm not a good kid and i didnt lie to my parents once they saw me with the book.

It's not just the lying.
Given all the s**t she litters in her book, to me a "good" kid would put that thing down and run away from it like it was a house on fire.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:47 pm
x-moon-x-daughter-x
and ravenwolf recommends Scott Cunningham to readers in TeenWitch, so that must mean she got her info from somewhere right?

That's nice, but Cunningham writes about Standing Stone Tradition, not Wicca.  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:16 pm
i saw one of sr's books at walden on friday.
it looked silly.

Bad Quality Serena

Aislin Artiers

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:46 pm
I have never touched any book written by Silver Ravenwolf, and after reading those articles, I am infinately glad that I haven't.  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games