Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Spell checkers, boon or bane? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spell checkers, boon or bane?
  They are great. They help me catch mistakes I would never be able to catch on my own.
  They encourage laziness and let homophones escape.
  They are good, but should not be used a substitute for proof reading.
View Results

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:53 pm
Spellcheckers are good for a preliminary edit, but when it comes right down to the point, any good author will still read through and edit what they have anyway.

Another nuance: AutoCorrect. What if one is trying to spell a word wrong(for whatever reason)? AutoCorrect will not let you spell it incorrectly (unless, of course, you turn it off).  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:48 am
O man, that auto-correct function pisses me off sometimes. Like I said before, spell-check doesn't bother me so much because sometimes when I am on a roll, I don't have to worry about fixing stuff right away and can easily find it (but I still read my work anyways, and I work in Wordpad rather than Word typically anyways, so I have to reread everything carefully anyways multiple times). But I have to always make sure auto-correct is turned off because I can change it myself, thank you, and also, if I am typing fast, I might not see that it changed something, and many times it wants to change it to something wrong. XD  

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

Matsuoka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:38 am
I honestly think that spellcheck is one of the worst computer devices ever to have been born unto this world. I honestly believe that it encourages laziness, kind of a 'Awww, poor baby can't spell. Let's have him hit a button instead of making him learn to proofread'.

I was once sitting next to this girl in the Computer Lab whilst I was in study hall. She honestly spelled history 'hestry' and asked me if she spelled it right.

I told her no,(After, of course, a brief, unbelieving pause) so she just spellchecked. I'm sure that she has made the same mistake on paper again and again.

My opinion is that intelligence is a far greater weapon than spellcheck in the war against typos. (No, if you use spellcheck, I'm not calling you stupid.)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:01 pm
I type all of my important posts (roleplaying and the like) in Word because I know that I am not perfect. Spellcheck is useful because it shows me what I typed wrong (boo for autocorrect! I can change my words myself.) and rather than going through the list of corrections, I manually correct the word.

As it was stated by Critic, spellcheckers are nice, but a human proofreader/editor is always necessary.  

Angel80272

Momoko Wakaba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:55 pm
Both are necessary. I can't decide, I basically am a spell-checker.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:38 pm
Spell-checkers aren't bad but they're not the best. Yes they do promote laziness but that doesn't really bother me since I'm somewhat lazy myself. -slightly ashamed- For my friends however, they don't use the computer, they use me.

Regardless, for any writing, I myself read it over myself several times. Chapters for fanfics and original stories go through the strainer at least five times.

Spell-checkers can indeed be helpful but human intellect is needed for proof-reading. Although like many others, AutoCorrect drives me positively nuts.  

xAvenirYuinax

MesmericVisions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:41 pm
I. Hate. Them. They encourage lazyness - they do not take into account speech paterns or peom paterns (what pisses me off the most), and their grammar is possibly worse then my eight-year-old sisters!
OK, I shall calm down- but they're useless.
My dad loves it... I decided to make up my own words and add it to Words dictionary - Oh, THAT made me laugh!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:10 pm
I like spell-checkers occasionally, but only on the days that I can't type or maybe when I'm in a hurry and don't want to check it over myself. However, I'm also a fanfic authoress and I prefer to proofread my stories personally because of the many words that can slip by with spell-check. It really bugs me when I look over my stories and find one little error that I have to change. It's just annoying to have to click and click, over and over again, constantly being paranoid about the possible homophones and various other loop holes that escape. neutral I wonder why they invented spell-check, other than convenience.  

Cheerfulhope

Seferius Slyferin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:51 pm
I have to support spellcheck, without it my spelling would be as horrid as a tyke.
So when you really have no clue how to spell the word in the first place, how to you proof read it and correct the error?

Basicly, my spelling is naturally at a grade 9 level, while the rest of my english sits at college... A gift from my father I suppopse.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:24 am
I prefer to use spellcheckers to make sure I didn't leave any typos here and there, specially when working on a rush.

I work as assistant translator with my dad (we do Spanish/English and English/Spanish translations), so spelling and grammar are critical in our success. Although my first language is Spanish, I do enjoy learning as much as possible while I work with my dad. Spellcheckers do not work very well on grammar or complex wording, so we do have to proofread all of our work, and even if it is extenuating, we can also review what he have done and even improve it on-the-fly.  

Azraelalpha

The Love Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:32 am
Spell checkers, I think, encourage laziness and they dont even have some words in the dictonary. How silly is that? Like, I'm Australian, but I spell mum, mom and I also spell colour, color. When I'm spell checking on word, and I type in color the Australian way, it comes up with a red line, even though there is no correct way of spelling color.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:30 am
I don't like spellcheckers because they always tell me I've spelled my name wrong. domokun  

emd0tx

Baka Gothic Kitsune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:38 pm
Spell checkers are next to useless. They are always underlining names because they look like they're spelled wrong. They're only the tiniest bit helpful because they occasionally let me know I've made a type-o.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:20 pm
I have to say that honestly I haven't used a spell check program in probably 2 years. Seriously. I hate the fact that they have even created them. My oldest son was in the 9th grade before I realized he was using them because he was a bad speller and had forgotten how to use the dictionary properly. Since then, my husband has actually removed the program from the Windows version (or disabled I'm not sure which) on the kids computer so they have to use the dictionary.

For those wondering why I used it 2 years ago if I hate them so much.... it was a 65 page thesis paper and after reading it 15 times the words blended and I used it as a fail safe. Missed 2 words.

Total bane in my opinion. My husband on the other hand is such a horrible speller (and grammer idiot - his words) that anything he writes looks like a six year old did it. So, I'm his spell check at home and he uses the programs at work.  

Queen of the Blue Twins

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

[.i_like_pi.]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:46 am
I am totally against spell check because people rely on it way too much. What I really don't like is that in school we learn how to use spell check. Also everyone seems to blame their poor spelling on spell checker. I hear "I can't spell, and that's why I use spell check," a lot, and I get really annoyed when I hear that. Look it up in the dictionary. It's what people did before spell check, and it still works. And maybe you will learn more words as a result by looking at other words on the same page.

It does underline my name and a lot of things that I type so usually I just ignore it.

If people wouldn't be so lazy and actually proofread... they wouldn't depend on spell check.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff