Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Galactic Travel and Information Help Desk (RP help) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uber_Bunny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:59 pm
Opps sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:09 am
To tell the truth, i hope we'd never have to engage a cap ship, even as a full squadron. especially in Y-Wings. we /should/ be creamed.

plus, it's much more likely we'll be using R5s as they're much cheaper than R2s.

to resolve the "roping" dilemma, though, according to a canon source (guide to vehicles and vessels, or weapons and technology, can't remember which), Luke developed the technique, and had the harpoon and tow cables ready from the start. keep in mind that the snowspeeders were actually just modified 'airspeeders' adapted to cold and atmospheric combat. they traditionally were used for moving cargo, hence the tow cable. the harpoon, apparently in some kind of perceptive jedi mode, was recommended by skywalker because he believed AT-ATs would be attacking them on Hoth if the Empire ever came, and he was worried blaster cannons wouldn't be effective. notice it was Luke who first planned to use the technique before relegating it to other speeders when Dack couldn't fire it (due to obvious reasons).

if that's the case, i'm sure it must have been practiced by Luke's squad beforehand, hence their skill in using it.

however, it is entirely possible that others have used it before, giving luke the idea. it's just that AT-ATs attacking someone able to fight back effectively is rare, and the chances that they'd happen to have speeders with tow cables are pretty slim.  

Nospai Deathous

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:21 am
Angelic Celestia
Ah, so in other words, the CAP would be TIEs and such?

No.

CAP is basicallly flying a defensive perimeter. Okay, that might be kinda hard to understand, but you'll see why that's the easiest definition.

Bases send out patrols to make sure nobody is going to attack, see? Sort of like in vietnam, how bases sent out patrols of marines to make sure nobody was going to sneak attack them? well, its basically the same idea. Planes are sent up, and monitor the airspace around a base.

That definition though is only recon. For it to be CAP, the planes must be armed, and EXPECTING some resistance, but just not sure when.

It's kinda hard to understand unless you know. And CAP is also the acronym for the Civilian Air Patrol, so finding the old definition will be hard.

Uber Bunny: Don't worry. I don't blame you on the Capital ship part... I could see how it would work. Unfortunately, I'm using all these military terms and flight vocabulary, and sometimes i get lost in the dialogue and forget about you guys. Nice attempt though.

Nospai: Taking on a SD with a Y-wing isn't suicide. At least, in the games, it never was. I thought it was actually easier, since you could bomb the two top sheild generators and the flight deck. The only pain in the a** was the underside shield generator.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:59 am
Nelowulf
Nospai: Taking on a SD with a Y-wing isn't suicide. At least, in the games, it never was. I thought it was actually easier, since you could bomb the two top sheild generators and the flight deck. The only pain in the a** was the underside shield generator.

the thing is, keep in mind how many turbolasers and laser cannons these SDs have. remember, the games make it easy so you can actually win, possibly. Y-wings are slow, so turbolasers, lasers, ion cannons, and missiles will /all/ easily be able to hit them or chase them down. and keep in mind how /many/ of all of those weapons SDs have. it's impossible even to get close unless you have cap. ship shields, or are able to avoid all of the weapons firing at you at once.  

Nospai Deathous

FrozenPhoenix32

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:45 am
Nospai Deathous
Nelowulf

the thing is, keep in mind how many turbolasers and laser cannons these SDs have. remember, the games make it easy so you can actually win, possibly. Y-wings are slow, so turbolasers, lasers, ion cannons, and missiles will /all/ easily be able to hit them or chase them down. and keep in mind how /many/ of all of those weapons SDs have. it's impossible even to get close unless you have cap. ship shields, or are able to avoid all of the weapons firing at you at once.

Well obviously the games tone down all the aspects to make things easier.

I mean think about it, a SD's shields would be like.. 3000% that of a Y-Wings, and even if the Y could get close enough to even have the generator in range, it would be decimated by insnae turbolaser batteries. Also keep in mind the fighter squadronst hat would be deployed rduring attackj  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:07 am
FrozenPhoenix32
Nospai Deathous
Nelowulf

I mean think about it, a SD's shields would be like.. 3000% that of a Y-Wings, and even if the Y could get close enough to even have the generator in range, it would be decimated by insnae turbolaser batteries. Also keep in mind the fighter squadronst hat would be deployed rduring attackj

exactly. thank you.

and i found the exact excerpt about the harpoon and tow cable. it's in the guide to vehicles and vessels, under "Rebel Snowspeeder" which is kinda silly, as it's just a modified airspeeder. anyhow...

"The Rebel Alliance pioneered an innovative combat maneuver for the Battle of Hoth. Suspecting that the Empire would use walkers against the Rebels, Rogue Squadron commander Luke Skywalker and Alliance tactician Beryl Chiffonage devised the harpoon and tow cable approach by which a single tow cable, wrapped several times around a walker's legs, could trip and disable the massive Imperial war machine. Since walker armor proved impervious to the snowspeeders' laser cannons ((coughblastercannonscough)), this tactic, first demonstrated by Alliance pilot Wedge Antilles, proved the only reliable way for small airspeeders to topple Imperial walkers."

hehe. reliable.  

Nospai Deathous

Uber_Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:44 pm
FrozenPhoenix32
Nospai Deathous
Nelowulf

But thats exactly the opposite of the truth. If a Y-wing flight were to come in bobing and weaving the ISD's lasers would not be able to turn fast enough to target them effectively. Then if the flight released a wave of linked torps. the Sd's sheilds would come down, allowing the fighters to dive through the gap and give it a dose of TRD. This is the rerason the Empire developed the Lancer-class line of ships.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:19 pm
I remember the amount of fighters at the battle of endor.

I also remember there were over 15 ISDs and at elast one SSD there as well....

If I had my books, I'd tell you how few fighters one of those bastards have...

And the rear end of that ISD is poorly defended. My tactic is what I call, the space enema.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Uber_Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:58 pm
Nelowulf

And the rear end of that ISD is poorly defended. My tactic is what I call, the space enema.

A Victory Star Destroyer carries 24 TIEs (1 of eyeballs and 1 of either squints or dupes [at Endor it was squints])
A Imperial Star Destroyer carries 72 TIEs (6 squadrons, 4 of Eyeballs, 1 of squints, and 1 of dupes. At the battle of Endor one of the Eyeball squads as replaced with a squint one.)
A Super Star Destroyer has 144 TIEs (break down unknown, butis probably= 6 of Eyeballs, 4 of squints, and 2 of dupes.)
If my calculations are correct that means there was 1080+120+144=1344 TIEs at Endor (56 squads of Eyeballs, 39 of squints, and 17 of dupes)
For the heck of it
A Eclipse Star Destroyer carries 696 TIEs (50 squads of squints, and 8 of bombers)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:04 pm
Uber_Bunny
Nelowulf

A Victory Star Destroyer carries 24 TIEs (1 of eyeballs and 1 of either squints or dupes [at Endor it was squints])
A Imperial Star Destroyer carries 72 TIEs (6 squadrons, 4 of Eyeballs, 1 of squints, and 1 of dupes. At the battle of Endor one of the Eyeball squads as replaced with a squint one.)
A Super Star Destroyer has 144 TIEs (break down unknown, butis probably= 6 of Eyeballs, 4 of squints, and 2 of dupes.)
If my calculations are correct that means there was 1080+120+144=1344 TIEs at Endor (56 squads of Eyeballs, 39 of squints, and 17 of dupes)
For the heck of it
A Eclipse Star Destroyer carries 696 TIEs (50 squads of squints, and 8 of bombers)

yeah but thats not standard. Theres tons of other TIEs as well, like Defenders, Avengers, etc. all of which are wayy more powerful than the three standard TIEs  

FrozenPhoenix32

Uber_Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:41 pm
FrozenPhoenix32
Uber_Bunny
Nelowulf

For the heck of it

yeah but thats not standard. Theres tons of other TIEs as well, like Defenders, Avengers, etc. all of which are wayy more powerful than the three standard TIEs

Defenders were rare even during the NJO. If you had even one of these you must have had extremly high connections in the empire. Also the other classes of TIEs were produced in such small numbers that the were normaly assined to smaller ships. So yes that is the STANDARD arragement.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:05 pm
Okay. go to the Hangar to argue this further.

Let this thread go back to helping people in the RP.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:59 am
alright, for EmSquad, how AU are we gonna get?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:37 am
Nospai Deathous
alright, for EmSquad, how AU are we gonna get?
]

not very much, just the fact that Rogue Squadron doesn't exist. I'm not sure what Nelo plans for the Battle of Yavin, but I highly doubt that Emerald would be doing the DS run, I think we'd be providing coverfire at the DS and fighting on actual yavin.  

FrozenPhoenix32

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:07 am
as long as the empire doesn't find us on dantooine..  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff