Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply THIS IS HALLOWEEN
Ideas, Questions, Suggestions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 156 157 158 159 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GallusDomesticus

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:36 am

Ooooh, gotcha~

Another question (not sure if it's been adressed) but romance (In moderation) is allowed in the shop, right? :> Nothing like a normal highschool's INTENSE MAKEOUT SESSIONS BY THE LOCKERS. But casual dating and such? Or does the school has PDA rules and such? :> -Again, just curious-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:46 am
Oh yah, stuff like that is both fine and expected  

lizbot
Vice Captain

No Faun

GallusDomesticus

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Suggestion:

Perhaps there shouldn't be technology at the standard of 2010. Maybe it can be minimal things (ex. Record-players , street lights, Juke-boxes , inter-coms), so that the world isn't too industrialized, I think it'd add to the effect of the general seclusion of the world. :>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:44 pm

Suggestions

I feel the same way about technology. Lights, jukeboxes, air conditioning, ovens, projectors, and telephones are things that would seem to go okay. Maybe even older style computers. Things like laptops, ipads, cellphones, and high-tech laser guns would feel out of place though. I think some things can fit well if they're given a strong Halloween twist. (Look at Disney's "Halloween Town" - their 'cellphone' was a shrunken head they talked into. You commanded it to contact X's headphone and it'd do it.)

Regarding money, coins would be simple. They could be made from a special ore or stone only found in Halloween town? Paper money could be designed too if you really want to take the fact coins get heavy to heart. Coins give an older kind of feel to it though.

Regarding look, if you need one, each currency can have a species design on it and the most elite has their picture on the highest currency. (Ex. Say 20 was the highest value - some sort of icon representing demons or a single very renowned demon could be put on the currency.) Here is a silly example I made for ghosts.

__Also, I have suggestions for other popularity contests that may show up in the future. It's too late to do anything with the current one, but future ones could possibly be improved.
__First, I suggest some sort of character-completion requirement. I think a character should at least be ready or approved if they're going to enter. Maybe even a sign-up sheet for the contest. I remember I saw one character whose personality was two sentences long and the reason for joining the academy wasn't even filled out yet. The longest thing was the fear which was probably three sentences and no other information (aside from physical description, age, gender, name) about the character was provided but art, but somehow they had 40-50 votes in two days. Yet characters with much thought put into them, over three paragraphs, and approved will sit with 10-25 after three days.
__That person, and a few others, also had multiple people advertising for them. It should be a rule that you can only advertise for your character or not at all. People who don't have friends to advertise for them are subject to less advertisement simply because they have to sleep, eat, etc. When one person is sleeping or eating they have another person to post around and advertise for them and it seems quite unfair. They're forced to be limited because of basic human needs while the other person has their friend to take over for them.
__Even if these changes aren't made, I urge it to at least be look over and revised somehow. It is clear that people who go buy art or make it on their own get votes faster, but I don't think that can be helped sadly. :/

S a l l y S h e e p

Graceangel

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:00 pm
I have an idea/suggestion for a type of currency. It isn't exactly money as we know it, but perhaps since the town is based on halloween... Halloween Candy could be the currency. As a more specific idea, I was thinking even something like.. jawbreakers or some type of hard candy.. candy corns... would make something fun.

Jawbreakers come in various sizes/flavors. So, smaller ones would be equivalent to small change whereas big jawbreakers with exotic flavors would be equivalent to bigger money/bills.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:52 pm

I agree with Sally on the rules for the popularity contest, as well.

GallusDomesticus

Desirable Sex Symbol

Zoobey
Artist

Magical Incubator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:01 pm
I'll tackle the popularity contest: regarding it

Originally it was going to be a raffle with ALL the approved characters:

Why not only approved characters? Certain moderators are responsible for certain species. That means Lizbot is more likely to approve all the MONSTER species, Ruri the demons, Blue the ghosts, etc. It doesn't mean we CANT overlap but rather, prefer to let the mods do their stuff so we don't step on each other's toes. This creates a few days' lags worth in between. As the shop JUST opened, we didn't want this to be an issue ie: WHY ISNT MY QUEST APPROVED WAH.

What if someone wins and they have a 2 liner: They still need to be approved. The only difference is its an enrollment applications. We will not be letting ANYONE roleplay who does not have an approved character. Enrollment applications are usually handled by at LEAST one administrator (Marushii, Lizbot, me) for quality check purposes.

WHAT DID WE LEARN FROM THIS:

Exactly as we thought. Popularity contests ARE freaking ugly. THEY ARE MEANT TO BE. This is the first and probably last time we'll be doing this in this format because of how early the shop is. The next one will probably be the student council and it's set up is entirely different. First of all, because all characters are ALREADY approved.

Secondly, we understand that there are quite a few ways to 'cheat' the system. At the moment, unbeknownst to you, we are currently picking up questing characters to make randomly. It has nothing to do with the contest, we are just picking some up that we like that have a concept that really shines. You will be pm'ed if yours gets picked up so it doesn't coincide with your voting and the likes (also so you are okay with the choice of artist).

Regarding technology: I like the idea that certain pieces of technology work: I think liz at some point mentioned a 'skeleton phone'. Most likely it will be limited to phones and ... PA systems. Everything else is OLDSCHOOL FRIGHT STYLE.

Regarding Currency: Wrote up a little blurb on the world of halloween regarding 'Pumpkin seeds' if you guys want to take a gander. I guess they can have different colours regarding denominations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:03 pm
S a l l y S h e e p

Suggestions

I feel the same way about technology. Lights, jukeboxes, air conditioning, ovens, projectors, and telephones are things that would seem to go okay. Maybe even older style computers. Things like laptops, ipads, cellphones, and high-tech laser guns would feel out of place though. I think some things can fit well if they're given a strong Halloween twist. (Look at Disney's "Halloween Town" - their 'cellphone' was a shrunken head they talked into. You commanded it to contact X's headphone and it'd do it.)

This is already mildly in play, if you look at Hellma's acceptance posts, you might notice that she uses a "skellyphone." Feel free to make up similar devices. I'm not going to ban modern technology from the environment, but it should be the Halloween version, not the human world one. Even the days of the week are a Halloween version.

Regarding money, coins would be simple. They could be made from a special ore or stone only found in Halloween town? Paper money could be designed too if you really want to take the fact coins get heavy to heart. Coins give an older kind of feel to it though.

Regarding look, if you need one, each currency can have a species design on it and the most elite has their picture on the highest currency. (Ex. Say 20 was the highest value - some sort of icon representing demons or a single very renowned demon could be put on the currency.) Here is a silly example I made for ghosts.

Something similar has been proposed, and we'll take these suggestions into consideration.

As for the popularity contest: I have posted this before, and I will likely do so again. This was the BEST way to make sure everyone started at the same point, and that nobody would have the advantage of staff bias. No matter the contest/flatsale/raffle, there's going to be a "that's not fair" or a feelings that a winner "doesn't deserve the win" that's always going to be there. This is what it is, and we aren't shy about. It's a Big UGLY popularity contest. We have absolutely no plans to hold another, as we never even had plans to hold this one, until zoo decided it would be nice if someone got a chance at a free custom as a kinda prequel to all the free pre-mades that will be available in the september event.

Also, please remember that quality and word count do not always walk hand in hand. >: I'm sure you don't mean to imply that it does, but I don't anybody to feel the need to attack me with tl;dr text walls when I go to review their quest.  

lizbot
Vice Captain

No Faun

lizbot
Vice Captain

No Faun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:35 am
lizbot
:'3 I have no idea how to code that sort of thing. And updating it with copy/paste script from somewhere else may fuss up the site and your pets. I would suggest doing your best to pimp sally's clickable thread instead.

ok nvm ~ found a fix ~ THE RANDOM CLICKABLES ARE NOW ACTUALLY RANDOM!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:33 am
OOH OOOH OOOOOOOH! I HAS A SUGGESTION! PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME~!

A separate thread for the quests that have been accepted as to make things neater~? 8']

Souru

Questionable Shapeshifter

11,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200

lizbot
Vice Captain

No Faun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:46 am
You mean subforum? X'3 Yer it's under consideration ~ but we'll wait until there seems to be a real need for it. Also: just because a quest is accepted, doesn't mean that the person in question should stop getting crit for their student.

What we mainly focus on when going over threads, if Species and Fear. Things like personality, we may comment on, but its not our focus. We leave that sort of thing to those will likely RP with the character the most often: you guys.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:15 pm
Awwwwww! I was no help.... TT ATT

How would you classify a traditional 'Golem'? Meaning one that is made of clay or mud or wood?

What about classifying a golem or life-size doll that was brought to life not by a soul, but by powerful feelings, thus 'enchanting' it?

And, if you don't mind, what's the status on my Yuki-Onna question that came up in the thread--It was decided to be a demon, but it can indeed be a Spirit or Undead depending on the situation it came to be in, right?

Souru

11,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200

Zoobey
Artist

Magical Incubator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:50 pm
I am going to say a golem is a monster, a form of enchanted monster. You'll have to try your best to keep it as 'humanoid' as possible though, in terms of not clogging the halls, etc etc.

Yuki-onna I believe is best put in the youkai category. I actually consider them to be more like snow-women demon types rather than ghosts. All youkai/Japanese mythology demons could be considered ghosts, but we pooled them in demons instead she would be no exception *nods*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 pm
Thank you very much~

[- works on ideas -] = w=

Souru

11,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200

Revien

Shy Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:32 pm
Kind of a derpy question, but are enrolled students a-ok to post for passports? Or should they hold out till more info n stuff is all up.  
THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 156 157 158 159 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff