Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Alchemy I ~ (1/5) Open! (Introduction) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BeaterBeast525

Timid Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:55 pm
User Image
I'm not afraid of anything
I just need to know that I can breathe
I don't need much of anything
But suddenly, suddenly

I am small and the world is big
All around me is fast moving
Surrounded by so many things
But suddenly, suddenly

eather tevia awthorn
Dating Dhylan Nolynn | Hufflepuff | Halfblood
Beater | Quidditch Vice Captain | Third Year

Would you comfort me? Would you cry with me?

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Heather took her seat, rusted chain in her hand. She took her herbology gloves out of her backpack and put them on. She looked at the chain that she had rusted from last class, turning it over carefully in her gloved hands. She remembered how beautiful it had been. She took out her wand, ready to make it that way again. "Inveteratus." she said, casting the spell on the chain. She visualized the chain as it once was, how it sparkled and shined. When she opened her eyes, she found the chain back to it's previous state. It was smooth and shiny and perfect again. Heather smiled and set the chain on her desk, removing her gloves and setting down her wand.

Wearing
{OOC:}

I'm young, and I am free
But I get tired, and I get weak
I get lost, and I can't sleep
But suddenly, suddenly

How does it feel, to be different from me?
Are we the same?
Are we the same?
How does it feel?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:46 pm
Chase Henrick User Image
Ravenclaw : Third Year : Chaser
User Image

Did the spell only apply to iron that had some rust or could it turn a pile of rust back into iron? Either way, Chase was about to find out. "Inveteratus," he cast on the pile of rust that sat in front of him. The rust seemed to tremble as it lost its redish color, gaining brilliance and a form as it turned back into iron. But instead of morphing back into a chain, it simply sat there as an iron rod.

{OOC; I had no idea what to do, so tadaa~! Explanation: The spell only turns rust into iron, but doesn't say anything about giving a pile of rust its original shape. So I did some guesswork and said that state of matter and its shape are completely different, like the molecular shape the molecules of glass takes after being melted and cooled. If I'm wrong, bug me? :3}

User Image

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being.
His heart withers if it does not answer another heart.
His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."
- Pearl S. Buck

User Image

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Shina Kiremono~Third Year~Ravenclaw Seeker

User Image

Shina tugged on the protective gear, then selected a rusty...something. Perhaps an old pair of spring-shears? Shina took the item back to her desk. "Inveteratus." The result was sluggish, and didn't clear all the rust. With a moue of unhappiness, Shina set her wand aside, removed her right glove, retrieved her wand, and tried again. With direct contact with her wand, the spell worked much better, clearing the remainder of the rust. This was the second time an Alchemy spell hadn't gone right the first time, and Shina was feeling a bit disappointed in her performance. She'd have to up her Alchemy study time.

User Image
((OOC: ... ))

Wearing

Essy ze Ninja rolled 1 20-sided dice: 6 Total: 6 (1-20)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:45 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw
"The cycle of life only goes one direction,
not even alchemy can change that."

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Thoughts: '...'
╚══════════════╝

Several silent flicks and flurries of his wand had led directions to be scribed upon the chalk board that stood at the forefront of the classroom adjacent the students desk. Today, bronze cauldrons were placed at the head of every desk, which, for this class, had transformed into a longer wooden table to accommodate all of the ingredients and materials deemed necessary. Hasty steps manually pushed a cart that he had prepared with all of the ingredients and measuring cups needed and several of the rarer ingredients were already bottled to the exact increment, as well.

”Today, you will be completing the Baleful Brew, which, when brewed correctly, instills a sense of empowerment and life, as if all fear and worry had disappeared. I’ve taken the liberty of completing the first step for you all, as it requires a twenty four hour cooling time. You’ll find the first step already in a separate cauldron to the right of your desks. Now, if you’ll divert your eyes to step number four on the board…”

“That step specifies that, as you stir the contents in the cauldron, you’re allowed to stir clockwise as many times as need be, it does not matter, but if you decide to stir counterclockwise during this step, you may only stir eighteen full circle strokes, at the most, and at the least, no more. So, you really don’t need to stir counterclockwise because of the risk involved, if you do it one too many times or less, then the chances of the potion brewing successfully are significantly reduced, but if you do decide to stir counterclockwise—remember, only eighteen strokes—and manage it successfully, it will actually increase the rate of success for the potion. Now, if nobody has any more questions, you may begin brewing….

And remember, the first one to bring me the perfect potion gets to keep a small portion, and the added bonus of twenty points to your house.”

Quote:
Baleful Brew- All sense of fear, worry, and paranoia are gone, the drinker will be encouraged to act upon basic and primal impulse, eradicating any emotion and fear, and the drinker will successfully be able to do what they otherwise could not. For example, a man too fearful to fly will feel no qualms while under this potion.

1 ½ cup of Essence of Dittany
3/5 cup of flobberworm mucus
3 grams of dried Asphodel leaves
1 ounce crushed Wormwood
1 handful of Aconite flowers
1/5 cup of molten Antimony
4 Doxy eggs
2 Dragon livers
5 Eel eye
5 1/3 grams of dried Venomous Tentacula leaves
12 pints of syrup of Hellebore
6 fl. Oz of Salamander blood
11 grams of Scurvy grass
2 grams of Lovage flowers
1 milligram of powdered unicorn horn

1. Mix and stir Dried Asphodel Leaves with the Dried Venomous Tentacula leaves in a mortar and crush until contents are near powder form, and then pour into a separate basin. Stir in 1 ½ cups of Essence of Dittany, and 3/5 cup of flobberworm mucus into the basin (preferably with a wand) and let simmer for twenty four hours to let the powder absorb.
2. Pour Salamander Blood into your empty cauldron and set to boil. After precisely six minutes, drop each Dragon Liver in, one at a time, while slowly mixing in, and then let sit and boil.
3. Once the mixture comes to a boil, stir in the asphodel, venomous tentacula, essence of dittany, flobberworm mucus mixture into the cauldron *only* stirring counterclockwise. The thick, red and course potion should take on a thinner, smoother texture now.
4. Once the mixture has liquefied, stir clockwise as need be, but *only* stir counterclockwise eighteen strokes at the most, or least. (See Professor for Further Instruction)
5. Drop in the Doxy Eggs and sprinkle in one handful of Aconite Flowers.
6. The potion should then immediately morph into a deep and vibrant violet color, wafting fumes of pink hues.
7. Stir in one ounce of Crushed Wormwood, and only *six* ounces of Syrup of Hellebore.
8. Allow contents to boil for over ten minutes before stirring in five Eel Eyes.
9. Also, combine Scurvy Grass and Lovage Flowers in a separate basin; add the final six ounces of Syrup of Hellebore into the mixture and stir the ingredients until the solidity of the grass and flowers have melted into the compound. Then add to the cauldron stirring counterclockwise.
10. Finally, add a dash of Molten Antimony (1/5 cup) and the Powdered Unicorn Horn (1 milligram.) The potion will then spark with a luminescent glow if done correctly.

[[[[[[OOC: To determine the victor in this little contest, when you make your potion brewing post, you will also enable the roll dice, in the Post Action option found just above the Submit and Preview button. Select, 20 sided dice. Select, 1 # of dice to be rolled. The closest number to my number, which I rolled now and can be found at the top of the page, will be the winner.]]]]]]

Juan Angel Amorocho
User Image User Image User Image

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
Utsuha Moon rolled 1 20-sided dice: 7 Total: 7 (1-20)

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:54 pm
Chase Henrick User Image
Ravenclaw : Third Year : Chaser
User Image

Chase glanced over the instructions as Professor Angel went over a couple instructions. Stirring the potion counterclockwise didn't seem too bad, as long as he remained focused. No distractions, no staring blanking at his cauldron, and absolutely no miscounting. Chase thought that maybe he should risk it, rather than play it safe.

When it was time to make the potion, Chase added a dash of this and a handful of that, following each step to the T. He took precise measurements, taking his time rather than rushing through everything. Of course, he wouldn't linger over one step for more than needed. Before he stirred, he noted where he would start, right at the 12 o'clock point, and carefully counted each revolution he made. When he hit 18, he stopped and proceeded onto the next step, which was adding Doxy Eggs and Aconite Flowers to the mixture. He later finished and put some of it in a small vial, then handed it to the professor.

User Image

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being.
His heart withers if it does not answer another heart.
His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."
- Pearl S. Buck

User Image

Nanashi Kage Enjeru rolled 1 20-sided dice: 4 Total: 4 (1-20)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Shina Kiremono~Third Year~Ravenclaw Seeker

User Image

Shina listened to the instructions. She considered her options, and decided to try stirring counterclockwise. Potions was easier for her than Alchemy, and she had hopes that her performance this lesson wouldn't be as underwhelming as it had been in her previous classes.

Her supplies laid out and ready, Shina began brewing, following the instructions carefully. Stirring, adding ingredients, more stirring, more ingredients, waiting, stir in more things, prep the scurvy grass, lovage and hellebore syrup mix, add to cauldron, stir, last two ingredients, done. Shina scooped a portion of her potion into a vial, stoppered it, labeled it, and brought it up to the professor.

User Image
((OOC: ... ))

Wearing

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
BeaterBeast525 rolled 1 20-sided dice: 18 Total: 18 (1-20)

BeaterBeast525

Timid Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm
User Image
I'm not afraid of anything
I just need to know that I can breathe
I don't need much of anything
But suddenly, suddenly

I am small and the world is big
All around me is fast moving
Surrounded by so many things
But suddenly, suddenly

eather tevia awthorn
Dating Dhylan Nolynn | Hufflepuff | Halfblood
Beater | Quidditch Vice Captain | Third Year

Would you comfort me? Would you cry with me?

Heather slipped into Alchemy, running just a tid bit late... Okay, a little more than a tid bit. But, she had heard the instructions for the day, at least. She knew she wouldn't get the prize, since brewing anything was murder for her, but she could still try. Opening her textbook, she began to follow the instructions listed for her. She knew most of these ingredients by heart, and did not have to spend time searching for them, which was good. That left her more time to figure out how to brew this thing. After most of the class period had gone by, she finally had a finished product. I wonder if I did this thing right... Probably not. she thought as she labeled a vial, poured some of the potion inside, and set it on her professor's desk.

Wearing
{OOC:}

I'm young, and I am free
But I get tired, and I get weak
I get lost, and I can't sleep
But suddenly, suddenly

Are we the same?
Are we the same?
How does it feel?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:04 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
╚══════════════╝

Angel stood and adjusted his crisp tailored suit and grasped his wand hidden in his inner breast pocket, a few silent swipes of his wand, and his name began to write itself out on the board and when the clock struck three, his wand had been brandished again to swish the door ajar to allow the students to file in. ”Ah, hola y bienvenidos,” Angel began in Spanish for a fault, and continued in English once the majority of the students had arrived. ”Welcome to Alchemy, I am Professor Amorocho, I understand it may be a bit difficult to pronounce, as it is, you may call me Professor Angel….

“Now, today we are going to begin the year by briefly learning about the Philosopher’s Stone and its properties. The Philosopher’s Stone can be used to create the Elixir of Life, to transform base metals into pure gold, and, power, but, only one stone created has ever been recorded into existence. created by the hands of Nicholas Flamel, and, Albus Dumbledore....

“Now, can any one of you tell me the crucial events leading up to the destruction of the Philosopher’s Stone in the year nineteen-ninety two, and please, state your name, as well?”

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Cameron Rowley: Reserve Beater
Third Year: Gryffindor

User Image
If I Was Your Boyfriend..
I'd never let you go.

Cameron walked into his last class of the week. He stayed quiet and didn't answer the professor's question since he hadn't known anything about the Philosopher's Stone or who Nicholas Flamel was. The cons of being muggleborn.

wearing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:17 am
With a thousand lies

Tell me all your plans and I'll laugh back in your face

And a good disguise

Preach me your religion if you're dumb enough to pray

Hit ‘em right between the eyes

Look what I became, honey

§ ··¤(` ×[¤ i¢h ¢αʇiא ¤]× ´)¤·· §

Wearing

ஆ৳»§lytherinஆ৳»קurebloodஆ৳»Ŧhird Yearஆ৳»

User Image User Image
Michelle walked into the class on a breath of air, silent as ever. She once again wore no shoes; she avoided them at all costs. She slid silently into seat next to Cam. She supposed she would actually have to interact with him now that he was.... with Elli? She wasn't sure if they were actually together or whatever, but they acted like it. She rested her elbows on the tables, and intertwined her fingers, before turning to watch the Gryffindor curiously. He didn't look like he was going to answer the professors question so she twisted to face the man and said quietly. "Lord Voldemort tried to steal the stone to become whole again. Harry Potter was able to thwart him and Albus Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel decided to destroy the stone so that no one else could use it for evil." She said simply, not bothering to raise her hand. When she had finished speaking, she reverted her attention to Cameron, and continued to watch the boy.
User Image
OOC:...

When you walk away

What is it I'm after

Nothing more to say

Searching for disaster

See the lightning in your eyes

Watching my whole life flash in front of my eyes

See ‘em running for their lives

Dressed up as a life

Devlyn Maycry

Obsessive Sex Symbol

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:38 pm

User Image
I'd never let you go.

Cameron looked over at the bleach blonde girl who sat down next to him. He was slightly surprised Michelle chose a seat right beside him considering the two weren't really friends. During their first year, he remembered how the girl stared at him from up close. That was one of the most awkward and uncomfortable feelings that another student made him feel. Of course, she was studying him once again, so the Gryffindor darted his eyes over to Professor Amorocho, or Angel, to avoid that feeling.

wearing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:19 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
╚══════════════╝

With a humble nod, Professor Angel smiled broadly as his deep chocolate eyes had focused upon Michelle. ”Yes, brilliantly done, ten points to Slytherin,” he exclaimed as he waited for quills to cease writing before he carried on again with a long-winded explanation of the philosophers stone.”The Philosopher’s Stone was a very crucial ingredient in the hopes to create an Elixer of Life, which, can grant an extended lifespan for as long as the user drinks it, and, it can also be used to restore a witch or wizards soul that may have been broken apart with the means of a horcrux.

“When the stone was set to be hidden in Hogwarts, it had been hidden within an enchanted item, the Mirror of Erised. Albus Dumbledore was a famed alchemist who truly believed in the pursuit of enlightenment and the magical importance of the pure of heart. The mirror, truly a brilliant stroke of genius, would always reflect what was desired most, because of that, it could drive men to madness, simply because, they wanted to see it come fruition.

“The Philosopher’s Stone was hidden inside of this mirror, and even though the possessed Quirinus Quirrell, under orders of Voldemort, desired the stone more than anything else, he would never have been able to acclaim it. Mister Harry Potter desired the stone, utmost, for one and one only reason: to protect the lives of those he most cared about. Although at the time, he had been led to believe it was the previous Potions Master Professor Snape, his heart had always known that he was destined to keep it safe.

“The heart is a very powerful matter, and heavily researched in the Department of Mysteries in the Ministry of Magic, for good reason… And no doubt, it took vigorous spellwork for Dumbledore to have been able to safely hidden the stone in such a precarious manner. Meaning, only the pure of heart, only one who wanted to have the stone, but not use it, would be able to find it in the mirror, which is precisely why Lord Voldemort could not find it.

“The Philosophers Stone was the key ideal of most alchemists, and as you’ll come to find, alchemy branches in every aspect of magic, from potion making, to charmwork, and transfigurations. Now, does anyone have any questions yet?”
As he spoke, important facts were magically written on the board behind him for the students to copy down if he ever spoke too quickly.

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

User Image
I'd never let you go.

Cameron silently copied down the notes that magically appeared on the board behind the professor. This sort of thing would have been very odd to see two years ago, but now that he was used to it, not seeing it would be stranger.

wearing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:43 pm
Adalaide Blythe
Hufflepuff // Third Year // Alchemy Classroom // Wearing
CURRENTLY WITH // Michelle, Cameron
CURRENTLY FEELING // Intrigued
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Seems like a lot of the lessons in classes tend to overlap...'
CURRENTLY// single // crushing // loving
═════════════════════════════════

User Image

Adalaide, from her seat on the other side of Michelle, listened carefully to the answer given by her best friend, and to the professor's response, taking careful notes. She already knew all of this, of course, but it would still be nice to have a record of the lesson. She couldn't help but feel like a lot of the lessons were repeating themselves. She guessed it was something they did to make sure students remembered things... but she would much rather the overlapping lessons be spell-related. She'd love to think that one day, she'd be in a lesson that was supposed to teach her to transfigure something, only to find out she already knew how to do it perfectly because she'd learned it in another lesson.

═════════════════════════════════

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Schedule: Tran, DADA, Ast, Herb, Char, Pot, HoM

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 pm
User Image
I'm looking for a place
I'm searching for a face
Is anybody here I know
'Cause nothing's going right
And everything's a mess
And no one likes to be alone
Isn't anyone trying to find me?
Won't somebody come take me home?

𝑅ichard 𝐷rage
Third Year - Ravenclaw
—¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤—

Rick entered the classroom and took notes while the teacher was studying. It was funny, if he thought about it. he didn't care much about trying to live forever, or about money, so a philosopher's stone wouldn't do him much good. He however sat back and listened to the teacher and his classmates give their answers, deciding to just stay silent.

----------------------------------
State: Quiet
OOC: ...
----------------------------------

It's a damn cold night
Trying to figure out this life
Won't you take me by the hand?
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you.

Third Year Classes