Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fourth Year Classes
History of Magic IV (1/4) *New Class 8/26* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:36 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson, unlike last year, was actually prepared to lecture when the students entered the classroom. He was seated behind his desk, but as people filed in, he stood and walked in front of it to stand before them all. He waited until the last of the students found their seats before speaking.

"Hello class, and welcome back to History of Magic. Today, I figured we could review what was learned in the last class as a refresher for those that may need it. After all, an entire summer has passed, which means you might have had time to forget some of what you may have learned. Please answer one at a time and cover one topic each. That way, hopefully everyone will get a chance to answer and participate."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: Well, the start of a new year...
                                            OOC:

Now where did I put that wand?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:57 am
User ImageUser ImageTook your advice and did the opposite
Just being young and stupid
I haven't been all that you could've hoped for
But if you'd held on a little longer
You'd have had more reasons to be proud...

Time: Tuesday, Block 2 (Morning, 9:00-9:45)
In Company of: Fellow History of Magic IV students and the professor
Wearing:My Uniform

What did we go over last year, specifically? God... I feel like all the classes of this just jumble together.

Veronica wasn't in a particularly good mood as she had to suffer a Block 8 class the night before. She would like to say she wouldn't have signed up for Ghoul and Ghost Studies if she had realized it was a late class, but that wasn't entirely true. And she was still abstaining from caffeine so she didn't even get the benefit of that in the morning. Considering she had another Block 8 class, the first class of Ghoul and Ghost Studies and then she had a Block 1 class the next day, she sort of had the feeling she was going to break her caffeine fast fairly soon. Suppressing a yawn she sat down in the middle row, feeling like she was mostly going through the motions. It wasn't like she particularly disliked the class but it wasn't as big of a priority to her as some of her other classes and with the load she had taken she had to prioritize.

She twirled her quill in her fingers as he asked for a refresher of last year, and winced slightly when he mentioned the summer. She'd rather not think about her summer. She tried to separate the different topics they had learned so far in History of Magic and that was when she remembered they had talked about muggle witch burnings last year. Raising her hand she said, "We discussed muggle witch burnings last year." There-participation, Veronica thought.

So many questions
But I'm talking to myself
I know that you can't hear me any more
Not anymore
So much to tell you
And most of all goodbye
But I know that you can't hear me any more...

{ }

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:38 pm
User Image
𝔾𝕪𝕡𝕤𝕪 𝕚𝕤...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // fancying Daniel Kiremonospace
CURRENTLY // Looking Adorkable in Historyspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Classmatesspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Annoyedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Who thought history first thing in the morning was a good idea?' spacespac

ஒ ஒ ஒ The phone rings in the middle of the night;
My father yells, 'what you gonna do with your life?'
ஒ ஒ ஒ
═════════════════════════════════════════════════

spaceGypsy practically stumbled into the History of Magic classroom, not even noticing when she sat down that she was less than three desks away from Ronna, a situation she typically tried to avoid on principle. Glancing at her, Gypsy couldn't help but note that the Gryffindor looked about as tired as she felt. God, who on Earth had decided on this bloody schedule? She seemed to recall that Echo had History as an early block class as well... was Professor Powell a morning person or something? Gross. History-obsessed and he liked mornings. If the guy wasn't so impossible to hate, she would really, really hate him. Honestly, if it weren't for her rather distinctive appearance, she'd be pretty sure he wouldn't recognize her when she came to class... mostly because she very rarely bothered to come to this class. It was just. So. Boring! To be perfectly honest, she didn't know why she'd bothered to come today at all, except that she did at least try to make it to the first class of the year every term. That way she could at least say she'd attended. Besides, when she went to he first class, she got to listen to the review of the year before, which covered everything she'd missed. Unfortunately, next year she'd actually have to come to class if she had any hope of not miserably bombing her OWL... which she was at least going to try not to do. She sighed. What did they go over last year? Like she bloody knew. She'd come to what, two lessons? Maybe? She felt like she should be sorry for that, but she just didn't have the energy for it. Maybe if the lesson was more interesting she'd care, but at the moment, she couldn't seem to muster any enthusiasm, and with the class being so early, she doubted if it'd get easier as the year progressed.

═════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                          ஒ ஒ ஒ Oh daddy dear, you know you're still number one
                                                          But girls, they want to have fun. Oh, girls just want to have fun!
                                                          ஒ ஒ ஒ

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:15 pm
She sees them walking in a straight line, that's not really her style.
And they all got the same heartbeat, but hers is falling behind.
Nothing in this world could ever bring them down.
Yeah, they're invincible, and she's just in the background.
And she says, "I wish that I could be like the cool kids.
'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.
I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids."
She sees them talking with a big smile, but they haven't got a clue

User Image
Jessamine Cathlin Walsh
~ Halfblood Hufflepuff ~ Fourth Year ~ Twin ~
{feeling: chipper} {thinking: aw, I'm not that tired!} {with: Fourth Years} {at: History of Magic}

Jess supposed she was lucky that she was an early bird. She wasn't tired, not at all. Of course, History of Magic was probably going to fix that, but at least she didn't look like Ronna or Gypsy. Both of them looked far from perky. But Jess was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and she was always in a good mood in the morning, unless someone did something to ruin it. She was feeling so benevolent, in fact, that she deigned to raise her hand for once. "We learned about Nick Flamel last year too," she chirped like a little bird.

Friendship is my weapon of choice.

Yeah, they're living the good life, can't see what she is going through.
They're driving fast cars, but they don't know where they're going.
In the fast lane, living life without knowing.
And she says, "I wish that I could be like the cool kids,
'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.
I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids.
I wish that I could be like the cool kids,
'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to get it.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 pm
To the left, to the right
I can feel it all around
Out to get you and I
Out to try and break us down
They will come with the strength and the fire
And a numb beat of drums
And the song of the sirens in our ears
That will bring 'em all to tears, dear

User Image
Tobias Philemon Walsh
- Halfblood Gryffindor - Fourth Year - Twin -
[feeling: dazed] [thinking: uh... this is the right class... yeah...] [with: Fourth Years] [at: History of Magic]

Toby would probably have slept until noon every day if he could. While his sister was a morning bird, he was a night owl, and while Jess would be out like a light by ten, he could stay up until past midnight without even yawning. It certainly came in handy while sneaking around after dark. He arrived after his sister, shambling into class like a member of the living dead. He slumped into a seat behind his sister. He wished she was taller. Then she could obscure him from view while he tried to nap. His eyes were literally half open, and he peered out from behind his hair with a slightly dazed expression, as if he wasn't even sure where he was or how he'd gotten here. His tie had clearly been tied with fumbling hands. He had pretty much hissed at anyone who tried to open the curtains in the boys dormitory. He didn't need to be blinded, thank you very much.

I want to be the kind of person that people will write songs about.

Yes, I will fight for you
You and me against the world is nothing new
Now and forever true
If you'll be mine then I will fight for you
So we stand back to back
And we smile as they come
'Cause they plan for attack
Knowing we've already won

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:56 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson walked into the classroom, ready for another day of class to start. Taking a piece of chalk, he quickly wrote on the board. He then turned to face the class.

Professor Powell
                                            Ancient Egypt and Greece

"Today, we're going to be examining the ancient cultures of Greece and Egypt, and how they used magic. Specifically, we're going to be focusing on several points in ancient history to really get a feel for how they must have interacted with not only the world, but also with Muggles.

"In truth, ancient wizards and witches worked together with muggles, and muggles didn't fear them. Wizards were held in high esteem in that time period, and evidence can be found throughout the ancient world of interaction between the two groups. This particular piece,"
                                            he said, gesturing to the stone tablet that was displayed, "is actually a replica of another tablet that had to be removed from a dig site, as it clearly demonstrated several instances of real magic being performed, such as the curse that was placed on the tomb that this tablet came from.

"There were several notable wizards and witches during this time. Circe was a Greek witch that specialized in transfiguration, and was well-known both in the wizarding world as well as in the muggle community for turning sailors into pigs. There was another named Andros the Invincible, who was well-known for producing a patronus the size of a giant, for which he gained his title. There was also Mopsus, who was a Seer and defeated his rival in a competition of their powers.

"Most wizards and witches worked with muggles on numerous occasions. In Egypt, you can see the evidence for it in the tombs of rulers, as evidence of skeletons warped by magic have survived. These individuals probably ran across the curses ancient wizards placed to protect such sights from graverobbers."

Grayson looked around the room, studying each student before continuing. "Please feel free to ask any questions, or to make any comments. While I know that everyone here might not be interested, at least some of you might be."

════════════════════════
                                            Thinking: Hope this gets the kids interested.
                                            OOC: ...

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:50 pm

In Company of: History IV class

Do wizards have museums to see the actual pieces of ancient history?

Veronica took a seat near the middle of the room, like was her usual habit and listened as the professor spoke, scribbling down notes with her quill on parchment. She had to admit the stone tablet was interesting and made her wonder if there was actually a museum that housed a collection of such artifacts for wizards to visit. She supposed there could be some secret room or something at muggle museums that wizards could go to, as well. After all, Diagon Alley was hidden in plain sight, as was platform 9 3/4. Maybe it was the same with wizarding museums... they just more or less latched onto a muggle location and just had the right spells on the area to maintain their secrecy.

As she took her notes, though, and listened as Professor Powell explained that wizards were held in high esteem at the time period discussed but went on to mention notable wizards and witches like Circe who was known for turning sailors into pigs-not exactly valiant behavior- Andros who just had an interesting patronus-then again the patronus spell wasn't particularly easy to perform-and finally Mopsus who basically just got a "best in show" based on some natural born gift he had. And, putting horrific curses to protect tombs of rulers who selfishly horded treasure with their corpse, that really didn't need it anyways and the fact that couldn't someone be just at the wrong place at the wrong time and trigger a curse too, not just potential graverobbers.

Veronica didn't entirely care she might be stepping on a few proverbial toes when Professor Powell asked for any questions or comments as she raised her hand and stated, "Professor, I know this may be more of me being technical, but from your description wizards weren't necessarily held in high esteem but it sounds more like they were only respected for their power. I mean, none of these notable wizards or witches of the time did anything to deserve high esteem from muggles, respect for their power, sure, but held in high regards as you suggest would be ridiculous. For example what Circe did, though notable and impressive, was actually pretty horrible if you think about it. Or it is if you are one of those sailors... And even Mopsus: he just won a contest that showed how great of a Seer he was, that's not exactly helping anyone out."

So many questions
Not anymore
So much to tell you
And most of all goodbye

{ }

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:24 pm
Nothing ever stops all these thoughts
And the pain attached to them
Sometimes I wonder why this is happening
It's like nothing I can do will distract me when

I think of how I shot myself in the back again

'Cause from the infinite words I could say
Put all the pain you gave to me on display
But didn't realize, instead of setting it free
I took what I hated and made it part of me

User Image

𝔇mitri 𝕲rigori 𝔎amenev
я никому не уступлю
of house Slytherin ___________ Fourteen Years Old
Fourth Year

User Image

Dmitri had always been on the fence about history; the magic aspect held his attention, but then the facts and dates lost it. He tried to reason that it was important, he knew it was. But it didn't make him care any more than he had. He fought for the focus to retain the information long enough to scribble it down in his notebook. When Ronna interjected (because what was class without one of her monologues?) He sighed loud and irritably.

165cm (5’5”) and 53kg (118lbs)
                          //Translations:// …. //

User Image

Quote:

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:17 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson cocked an eyebrow as Ronna spoke about the wizards of ancient times. A wry grin made its way onto his face as she finished, and he shook his head. "Well, considering that muggles couldn't do any of those things that a wizard could do is actually an achievement, considering that muggles can't perform magic. Circe is even remembered in Muggle literature and ancient myths for her abilities, and she was the greatest Transfigurist of her time. Same with Mopsus. They both were venerated in their times for attributes they could perform, and Mopsus was quite well-known for assisting rulers in ancient Greece. That, while not necessarily tasteful to modern-day sensibilities, was what made them famous, even to this day. And no one is counting the muggles as unintelligent. They came up with their own advancements and inventions, either to imitate the accomplishments of the wizards, or to better them. And in some cases, they succeeded. The fact that wizarding history during that time is directly intertwined and even remembered amongst muggles makes it that obvious that although although we might not see their achievements as something spectacular, that cannot be said for those in that time period. After all, what we consider mundane had to have a start somewhere."

Next class...

Grayson walked into the classroom with a bit of a hop in his step. He was definitely getting used to teaching, and save for the occasional hiccup, the job was going fairly well. He picked up a piece of chalk and quickly wrote the topic of the day on the board before turning to look at the rest of the class.

Professor Powell
                                            Herpo the Foul

"Hello class. Today we're going to be talking about Herpo the Foul. A most interesting fellow, I'm sure, especially since there's not much on him besides his accomplishments, which leads to speculation as to what else he may have done in his lifetime."

"Herpo the Foul was an Ancient Greek Dark Wizard. He is one of the earliest known Dark Wizards and his work is still a lasting aspect of dark magic to date. He is best known as the first wizard to hatch a Basilisk. He is reputed to have invented many vile curses and was also the first wizard known to successfully create a Horcrux, perhaps having designed the ritual himself. Accordingly, he must have committed murder to split his soul. He is one of the earliest known Parselmouths.

"Now know that's not much to go on about him, but it is interesting to note that as one of the earliest known Dark Wizards, he has attributes today can be reflected as pertaining to dark magic. His abilities as a parselmouth is a good example, as well as the fact he is the originator of the basilisk. Both are traits that seem to be common with Dark Wizards and Witches today. If this conjecture were to hold true, that would suggest that all Parselmouths would be involved in the Dark Arts, which isn't necessarily true. If there are any questions, please feel free to ask, though in this case, there is one that I will not answer, since even I don't know the answer to that."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: Well, that was an interesting class last time...
                                            OOC:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:48 pm

In Company of: History IV class

I still don't think it was technically veneration. Or it sure shouldn't have been.
Veronica frowned slightly at Professor Powell's answer to her critiquing. He was right in the fact what Circe and Mopsus had done was an achievement, especially, in the eyes of those who couldn't perform magic, but so was becoming a serial killer. Just because it was an achievement didn't mean it was a good achievement. She just let out a sigh, unsure what to say to Professor Powell's response and figured it was one of those matters where you would just have to agree to disagree. After all, both were just opinions, and it wasn't like the muggles of Ancient Greece were around to ask about their true feelings towards these famous witches and wizards.

NEXT CLASS:

Herpo? Who named this guy?

The next week, Veronica entered the class and sat down noting that the professor was in a fairly good mood. She looked at the topic, vaguely recalling something about the guy in her textbook only because she was stuck on the name 'Herpo' it wasn't the sort of name that struck fear into someone. For her it left her more wondering who in the world would name someone Herpo in the first place. Not that she supposed she could criticize that much considering her last name was 'Kiss' of all things.

Taking notes she listened to Professor Powell's lecture and made a list of the notable things Herpo had done-from hatching a Basilisk to creating Horcruxes to being a Parselmouth. Basically a precursor to Voldemort in many ways. Actually she thought in a weird way those two particular dark wizards would probably have gotten along or would have hated each other. It was an interesting thought-almost as intriguing as Professor Powell mentioning there was one question he would not answer since he didn't know the answer to it.

She noted that he was an Ancient Greek wizard much like the others he had mentioned the class before and she wondered if muggles had known about him and if they did, did they in the professor's opinion venerate the guy as well for what he could do or merely respected the wizard like Veronica argued the muggles probably did in the case of the other famous witches and wizards. Deciding it was probably best not to ask the question she instead tapped her paper with the feather side of her quill.

So many questions
Not anymore
So much to tell you
And most of all goodbye

{ }

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:22 am
~Beginning of a New Year~

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:24 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson, unlike last year, was actually prepared to lecture when the students entered the classroom. He was seated behind his desk, but as people filed in, he stood and walked in front of it to stand before them all. He waited until the last of the students found their seats before speaking.

"Hello class, and welcome back to History of Magic. Today, I figured we could review what was learned in the last class as a refresher for those that may need it. After all, an entire summer has passed, which means you might have had time to forget some of what you may have learned. Please answer one at a time and cover one topic each. That way, hopefully everyone will get a chance to answer and participate."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic Classroom
                                            Thinking: New year starting up...
                                            OOC:

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:21 pm
User ImageXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUser ImageUser Image
ⒽⓐⓛⓕⓑⓛⓞⓞⓓxxxxxThis time, for real, tired of playing it safexxxxxInside I feel, I've got what it takesxxxxxTo prove to the world who I really can bexxxxxI know for sure, there's no stopping me
⒮⒤⒩⒢⒧⒠

Tanya walked from her mythology class to history wondering about the rumor that Professors Harlowe and Grayson were seeing each other. If they were or weren't it wasn't anyone business, but she would gladly admit that they would probably be adorable together. She took her seat and didn't take out any of her writing things, after being in his class for three years she at least knew one thing never changed: review on the first day was practically mandatory. When he began she raised her arm along with the others and waited for her chance to answer. "Last year we learned about the witch burnings and how most witches and wizards managed to avoid them...or not."

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's my turn now & you know that I'm readyxxxxxIt's my turn now, yeah, I'm strong, and I'm steadyxxxxxBreak down the wall, gonna go for it allxxxxxIt's my time, gonna shine, show you howxxxxxBecause it's my turn now

UniformWhere: History classroomWith: ClassThinking: No. More. Flamel!!OOC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:14 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTheo Gibbs
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxGryffindor Fourth Year

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness..."

He walked into the classroom of his least favorite subject and sat down, twirling a pencil in his hand as the professor started by reviewing. Theo figured he would attempt to get some kind of extra points by answering during the review. He raised his hand and began talking. "We learned about the life of the legendary alchemist Nicholas Flamel, the creator of the Philosopher's stone," he said before going back to twiddling his pencil. This class was so boring to him and he really didn't want to be there.

"And some have greatness thrust upon them"

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:26 pm
User Image

User ImageUser ImageLocation: History : Tuesday (9:00am to 9:45am)

Leonette had debated about not coming to class and then thought better of it. She could probably use the review. Walking into her Tuesday morning class she took a seat in the back. Opening her history book the fourth year Gryffindor skimmed its pages. She wondered if David was going to come to class. After last year she didn’t imagine he would. Granted at least she could sit quietly and not say anything. No getting in trouble there…

When Tanya spoke up Leonette glanced up from her book. "Yeah there was that one witch that actually enjoyed it." she spoke up. Despite not loving history it was easy points for just trying to make it look like you cared for the subject. If she hadn't said anything about that then she would have said something about the Philosopher's stone. Sadly she couldn't talk about both.

With: Class

Wearing: Gryffindor Uniform

OOC: ---

User Image
Gwen the Finch

Gryfindor you say?
Yes, I could see you doing well there...
So be it! Gryffindor!

Fourth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces