Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Book of the Week Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Missy Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:17 pm
Artiste_in_a_tunnel
Novel: The Picture of Dorian Gray

Author: Oscar Wilde

I highly recommend this book to everyone. Excellent use of prose, but then, what else could we expect from Mr. Wilde? I also recommend The Importance of Being Earnest, a play by Mr. Wilde.

I hated this book so much. I don't like Wilde's style. It's like The Scarlet Letter. It could have said what it said in all its chapters in about five pages. I don't like it when storylines are buried beneath details and conversations.

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families is a very good book. It's about the genocide in Rwanda. (The title is an excerpt from a letter that Tutsi villagers wrote to their priest, who, in the end, betrayed them to Hutu soldiers.) I have to warn everyone, though, that it's very sad.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:47 pm
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke.  

Super Awesome Thing

~Lady So Divine~

8,000 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:41 pm
I am on the fourth book of circle of three series and it is wonderful!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:56 pm
The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

~cute~bunny~mule~

Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:04 pm
[River]
Watership Down

Just finished reading it. 3nodding Hooray for bunnies who kill each other.

Watership Down is my favourite. I've read it twice, wich is a lot for I don't like to re-read a book.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:10 pm
dancing-in-the-streets
I loved "East ofEden" and "Cannery Row' by Steinbeck. Both are about people in California before and during the Great Depression essentially, but is also amazing character study. If my characters are half as well developed, i shall be content.

I've been to Cannery Row, it was very nice. I was sickly so it might have been better if I was in better health but, still, it was nice.  

Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:39 pm
The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud is a very good book, all about Demons and magic!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:50 pm
I adore the Bartimaeus Trilogy. But I'd have to recommend The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan.

Cerenas

7,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:37 am
hammyclammy

Crime and Punishment
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
A classic but nonetheless modern book, the main theme is almost contradictary to what you would expect, it's really quite an interesting piece of work. I'd have to say my favorite character is either Razumhkin or Svidrigailov. On the plus side as well, you learn to pronounce Russian names, ^_^

I second that one. Definately worth it.

A couple of books I've been reading through this semester;

A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway: The narrator is very cold and emotionless, it's a very impersonal description of the war but the author does show the feelings with other things and although I didn't enjoy reading it all that much, when I'd finished it I was glad I did. It's worth it and not too long.

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto: One of the most beautiful books I've ever read, it's written in an easy-going, casual style that is still so full of feelings. Reading this book is like floating on a pink cloud.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov: Fantastic story that you can read from so many different angles. At first you see a comedy, and an hilarious one at that but if you dig deeper you see such amazing critique on the society (it's written in Soviet-Russia) and humans. It also contains a beautiful story of Pontius Pilate around the time he sentenced Jesua to death.

Other stuff I reccommend strongly:

.Fairy tales by H. C. Andersen, especially the Little Mermaid. (Much, much, much, much better than the Disney version ;])

.Everything by Jostein Gaarder. I've read most of his works and they are so amazing. Most of the stuff I've read at least is aimed for children but they are so deep and heavy at the same time. I grew up with these books and it helped me keep wondering at the world around me when growing up. Reccommended for everyone; kids to read when growing up, teenagers when facing the most difficult phase of their lives and grown-ups both to read for themselves and their kids.

.I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan is one of the funniest books I've ever read. It makes you think alot about society as a whole, when the Devil himself takes on a human form and starts writing his autobiography. And it's written in pretty advanced English so even if you're only looking for something to expand your vocabulary, it's great :]

There are so many books I intend to read, too. Quite a few of them have already been mentioned here.. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:38 pm
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

Totally wicked book. Still Reading though... So far its great and i'm half way.  

Hirohakasaki

emmilions

Hilarious Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:34 am
Twilight and New Moon

By Stephanie Meyer

LOLOLAMBER. If you see this, it's all your fault. xD  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:15 am
The Alienist by Caleb Carr. Read it. Now.  

Byrn_in_hel

Princess Ami Ochi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:09 am
Was it good? I'll have to check it out.

My personal favorite books are:
Twilight and New Moon by Stephanie Meyer and What Happened to Lani Garver by Carol Plum-Ucci  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:38 pm
When Kambia Elaine Flew in from Neptune By. Lori Aurelia Williams.

A DEFINITE MUST-READ! Trust me, you'll love it! There are like no books that suit my tastes, and this one managed to keep me reading nonstop! The characters are so real you could have dinner with them, I swear. xd

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Pandiecakes

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers