Hot Topic "poser-ish"?
  Yea.
  No way!
  Eh...Somtimes.
  Hot Topic?
View Results

Plan-Galere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:45 pm
We don't have Hot Topic in Canada. But I was there like 3 days ago. The only things I saw that were expensive were those really retarded looking pants with the stupid straps and spikes. I bought 3 shirts. They were about $23 Canadian each, which isn't too bad.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:09 pm
im not goth but i like hot topic b/c they have some things i like and can't find anywhere else. thier stuff is expensive though, and they rarely have any sales so i dont shop there often.
i dont know if its 'poser-ish' or not, i have two goth friends and they seem to like it.  

jcamille

Yamin0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:26 pm
I used to work there! XD I love that place!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:51 pm
vCJv
EmoXPickles_________x
Yeah I can admit I like the stuff they have there but if you look at the custormers you wonder wtf they're doing in that store. That's the only reason why I don't like it.
(Well, that's how it's like here, all the customers are preps you'd see in
Forever 21 or Abecrombie and Fitch)

Yeah sometimes some of the people in there dont exactly belong there but I dont think they make Hot Topic poserish.

Meh, it does cause some poserism. I mean, it makes the clothes more populare, and soon kids are wearing it just to be cool. Then comes the goth against goth thing, because no one knows who the posers are and who the real goths are. At least, that's how things are here. Well, for me because not many people hang out with me. The ones that do are anime fans who prefer dark colors and are into vampires and other things in the gothic sub-culture, but aren't considered goth.

I've seen 4 or 5 girls walking in Hot Topic, single file, and they where wearing really preppy clothing. Most likely they where just looking for purses.  

lola_siannodel

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:25 am
Most of the Hot Topic stores in my vicinity have gone rather pop-emo... there's still some gothy stuff there, but you really have to search for it.

Anyways, I don't really see anything wrong with shopping at HT, but thier stuff seems to be expensive, especially for the quality of it ($35 isn't outrageous for a skirt, but it is for a poorly made skirt...). I used to shop there a lot, and I still buy some staples there (hoisery mainly, or if somthing on clearance catches my eye), but now I'm trying to break away from it. I've got no problem with the store, except for the simple fact that if I have somthing from there chances are that several other people from my school have the exact same thing... so now I've turned to making my own clothing.

Also, as far as it being pouser-ish, before I dropped down to honors level classes I didn't have the time to make my own clothing, and my parents wouldn't let me buy clothing online, so I was stuck with either HT or normality. Not everyone who shops there is a goth, nor a pouser, though it may seem that a majority of the people there are pousers... not all of them are.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:20 am
I don't understand people looking at hot topic like a gothic last resort... since being goth has nothing to do with how you dress.. and every store I have ever been in had at least one article of 'gothic-like' clothing. Anyways, if hot topic is really run by the gap, that just further shows why I think it's a poser-esque store.  

Ndoki

FireFarie54

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:47 am
i don't care what you ppl think about Hot Topic i love it and idon't think that Hot Topic is poser-ish  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:13 am
hot topic is fairly poserish. personally, i think they have some amusing shirts there, and they have goggles i want, but thats it really. hot topic doesnt know the first thing about the subcultures they purport to cater to, and its funny that they sell tshirts that say "support your local bands" when they have a standing policy of NOT SUPPORTING LOCAL BANDS!  

DR490N

xSTHMx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:54 pm
somwaht but I still shop there since I don't know any other place that has HIM stuff  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:17 pm
jcamille
im not goth but i like hot topic b/c they have some things i like and can't find anywhere else. thier stuff is expensive though, and they rarely have any sales so i dont shop there often.
i dont know if its 'poser-ish' or not, i have two goth friends and they seem to like it.
Same here. except I am goth.

Grave Revelations

A Sleeping Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:58 pm
Meh, their not that bad, I like going there sometimes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:19 pm
Ndoki
since being goth has nothing to do with how you dress.. and every store I have ever been in had at least one article of 'gothic-like' clothing.

*nods in agreement* Though it may tae lots of searching you can occassionally find gothy clothing at normal stores. For example I have quite a few skirts from Kohls, as well as some tops from Lane Bryant and JC Penny, not to mention I found the most kickass dress ever at GoodWill (black velvet... bell sleeves... I added some lace to it and now it's my favorite peice of clothing). It will often take a long while of searching before finding anything good in a normal store but it is possible. (I presonally don't care much for clothes shopping though.... which is yet another reason I turned to making a majority of my own garments...)  

DreamerSpirit

Ndoki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:59 pm
Indeed. As a matter of fact, some of my favorite "gothic" accesories didn't even come from clothing stores, especially not "goth" oriented clothing stores.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:54 pm
i shop at hot topic every now and then.
they're the only store around here that sells black lipstick besides on halloween.
i am a bit annoyed on most of the merchandise there, and yes most of the recent customers are a bit more on the "preppy" side (redneck as well, considering where i live), but they do sell SOME decent stuff.

they need more Dir en grey merch.
and msi.
then i'd be happy ^_^  

ronton-ritsuzen

Dollface Lovely

8,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:57 pm
    Some stuff they have is alright, though too expencive for anything I can let myself have, although that's what you'd expect from the A&F franchise. Undoubtedly it's already been mentioned that A&F owns HT (and Torrid) so their clothing will be pouser-y and expencive (welsome to Abecrombie and Fitch, yes, that one square onch of plain, regular, normal cotton will be 75,000$. Oh, why? It's brand name, of course.)
    Otherwise, they have some decent makeup, and henna tatoos, and their accessories aren't terrible either, the clothes however can use quite some polishing off, especially since sometimes if you don't get a full ensemble of a certain piece of clothing it's difficult to make an outfit work.

Now, I'm not exactly what you'd call 'goth,' not entirely anyways; as a matter of fact as far as clothing goes I'm more inclined to Indie/Scene stuff, only in darker, richer, more sophisticated colors, so it's like a blend of those three fashion elements. I'll get stuff from Hot Topic, should it strike my fancy, although usually it doesn't since I frequent Target and Delia's, getting most of my clothing from cheaper stores, sine I'm geterally tight on cash.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff