Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Parents and Wicca Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have this problem?
  Yes
  No
  I used to..
View Results

Bunniegurl123

Tipsy Vampire

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:30 am
I told my mom about me becoming Wiccan. She didn't have a problem with it. She doesn't care about anything. lol. She said that my great great aunt was a witch though. So, pretty sure that some kind of magic runs in my blood. She said she was interested in it too when she was younger but my grandpa said it that witches were 'devil-worshipers'. lol. But that's another story.  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:35 am
My mom was the first of my parents I told (and she's not even the one I live with) and she doesn't have a problem with it because we have Wiccan relatives in New Jersey. I told my dad later on and he was (and still is) a little ignorant about it but he never had an actual problem. He just lets me believe what I want and cracks an occasional comment but I shrug it off because we hack on each other all the time.

It is sad though, that although Wicca has become so public and so many more people have a better understanding of it, there are still so many people who have misconceptions. I know its impossible to delete religious intolerance entirely, there's always going to be people who disagree, but maybe someday children and teens won't have to fear telling their parents what they believe.  

Amara Verdandi

GBI Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:30 pm
My mom doesn't care about me being wiccan, but she's a little freaked out. I am lucky to be born into a very pen family as well.

TheMoonTune
I was really lucky to be born into a very open family. Even though my mother and father divorced when I was little, i still have alot of contact with my dad and he has been wiccan for a very long time. So even i told my mom about my concious decision to follow wicca she already knew the basics and was open to it.

I think the best way to handle disapproving parents is just to be honest. Let them know that you aren't converting to spite them or to rebel, that it is a lifestyle change that you believe to be a good one.

Bottom line? Be mature about it. And don't sneak around behind their back.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:38 pm
Aleria Carventus
Well...looking around the guild I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who has a problem with their parents accepting that they are wiccan...or even telling them. So I was wondering how many people have this problem? and if you told them then what was their reaction?

my mom is okay with it for the most part (although she did give me the million question treatment) but im forbiden to tell my grandparents and my dad and his mom keep trying to turn me christian again.

mechanical kitsy
Crew

LesbianWetDreams

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Instaboot. I'd lose everything and if I were to continue I'd get kicked out.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:02 pm
When i was working on the Helping thread in the BOS my mom walked in and asked me what i was doing and i said 'im copying&&pasting spells' and she gave me the 'excuse me, i dont think so' look. Then she said 'Your not suppose to be doing this' and i said fine and closed the window. My dad doesnt really care, he knows that im dead intersted in wicca, he buys me all my books. When i asked my mom to buy a book she said no and i questioned her why and she said beccause it was against everything she believed. That really made me cry.  

Deadly Nyghtshade

milli420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:11 am
my parents are complelty ok with me believeing in whatever i want. they didnt tell me what to do so why should they tell me what to believe ing. It was pretty easy tellin them i was wiccan lol, i think it was harder tellin them i was bi, but they still fine with it smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:44 pm
my mom kindof has a problem with it. Shes not really religous but she grew up with god and thats what shes use to. I dont really talk to my mom about it, but i learn wiccan stuff on the net. My brothers a basterd to me about it tho. He always says he'll block the site and stuff..nothing major. I really want to find some books around, but there arent anyplaces i kno of that sells wiccan books. I dont think my mom really cares that much about me being wiccan tho, so i guess im in a lucky few that are excepted.

P.S if anyone knows of any books i should pic up at my library, message me and tell me. It'll be greatly appreciated.  

xGlitteR-n-GunZx

-Malignant Noodle-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:46 pm
The first time i told my mom, she flipped. i mean seriously. then when she calmed down she was like "does this mean you have to move to salem?" and she was dead serious too. so i explaned it to her. now she is cool with it. i think...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:01 pm
my mom was the one that introduced me to wicca in 2000 and so i have been in it for 7 years now.  

Geisha Princess

Vampyra010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:39 pm
mom didn't care,but accepts wat i am  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:49 pm
I have NEVER told my Dad because he is very Christian....however my Mom is very open-minded and had no problem with me being interested in paganism smile She just told me to be careful...and she actually took me to a pagan shop !!! So I am very lucky 3nodding  

star3434

Indigo Star Child

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:18 am
My whole family is quite catholic, I haven't told them yet because I don't think they are ready. My parents aren't too understanding, and I know they aren't a big fan of Wicca.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:04 pm
Well, if I ever said it, my father (who is Athiest) would say something along the lines of "You mean magic? You've been playing too many RPG's, boy!" and take away all of them. My mother would just disown me altogether.  

Ghost Tears

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:48 pm
Neither of my parents ever had a problem with it. I spoke very little about it in the first year i was studying it, mainly because I wanted to make sure I knew enough about it.

I don't live at home now, and haven't for two years. My mom has some interest in it, but she isn't really Wiccan, but more of a naturalist. (She doesn't follow very much of the Wiccan structure, despite how loose it is).

M dad doesn't really care one way or the other. In fact, he has been teasing me today while I'm visiting them about the fact that I missed our local fair, which just happened to have a Wiccan booth in it. crying

In any case, the only negativity I have been met with is from outside people, like one of my fiance's co-workers.

My grandmother doesn't really know what it is (both my aunt and I are practicing Wiccans; I didn't realize this until about a year ago, either. I doubt it is a coincidence either, that I happened upon the same path as her 0.o) but she condemns people who don't follow "the one true God".

My grandmother isn't someone i get along with that well, anyhow, nor do i see her enough to care what her opinion is. rolleyes  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games