Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:41 am
DNA_Guru
WellzY
Although a valid answer, you're not Trieste.

So?
I could be. ninja

Ah, but you're not.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:41 am
Trieste
WellzY
DNA_Guru
Magnus Ignatius
*asks* what is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is what you want it to be. It all depends on your own life philosophy. 3nodding

Although a valid answer, you're not Trieste.

Kids, no fighting. xd

Hell, we can debate as well, y'know.

How can life philosophies be developed, then...? *muses*

Through abtruser musings. 3nodding

Well it depends on what values you hold dear.
I myself am a great beleiver in Science and some aspects of the Christian faith. I take all these values into account and then derive a certain philosophy. However as we go through life our philosophy may change dependent on the information we gather in the course of life.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

Triste

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:46 am
DNA_Guru
Through abtruser musings. 3nodding

Well it depends on what values you hold dear.
I myself am a great beleiver in Science and some aspects of the Christian faith. I take all these values into account and then derive a certain philosophy. However as we go through life our philosophy may change dependent on the information we gather in the course of life.

Exactly; now how do these values come into place? I suppose it's another one of those 'nature vs. nurture' questions; but even then, there are people who grew up in uber-crappy environments and still become moral beings.

And I'm really quite skeptical of the Christian/Catholic church(es) myself, even though I don't reject it outright. Plenty of good things that they teach in the bible, indeed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:50 am
Trieste
Exactly; now how do these values come into place? I suppose it's another one of those 'nature vs. nurture' questions; but even then, there are people who grew up in uber-crappy environments and still become moral beings.

And I'm really quite skeptical of the Christian/Catholic church(es) myself, even though I don't reject it outright. Plenty of good things that they teach in the bible, indeed.

Society itself has a good set of moral values. Even if one growns up in a less than desirable environment, there is still time after that initial instance to gain a grand philosopy. It sometimes takes people there entire lives to figure out the meaning to their own existence. I myself have a fairly good idea, but then again I might rethink my position at a later time. It all depends on what values are impressionable to you as an individual. Everyone will have different ideas.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:51 am
I'm a scientist, so I lean heavily towards the meaning of life as procreation, and securing a viable future for your offspring, to encourage their procreation, and so on.

However, as human's we've moved so far beyong that, and so now that this idea of sort of redundant, but still a fundamental beliefe for millions of people globally, in a western society, the shift seems to be towards creating a meaniful life, be it through popularity, material value, or your importance to an individual. Mostly, I'd prefer to be remembered through respectable means, and find a significant other.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:09 am
DNA_Guru
Society itself has a good set of moral values. Even if one growns up in a less than desirable environment, there is still time after that initial instance to gain a grand philosopy. It sometimes takes people there entire lives to figure out the meaning to their own existence. I myself have a fairly good idea, but then again I might rethink my position at a later time. It all depends on what values are impressionable to you as an individual. Everyone will have different ideas.

True, true. But how can we account for those with distorted moral values? Some people know what they're doing is wrong, but they still do it anyway! And there are still people who will not change their position no matter how many times they are proven wrong, either on their own or by other people.

I suppose each and every one of us have consciences after all. Are our consciences working properly? Perhaps this 'conscience' is the one that is tempered by the environment and society, through observation and personal thought processes.

WellzY
I'm a scientist, so I lean heavily towards the meaning of life as procreation, and securing a viable future for your offspring, to encourage their procreation, and so on.

The idea of procreation was quite prevalent in the Old Testament as well, IIRC. 'Go and populate the world', didn't God say in Genesis?

Yet, with the planet already starting to choke on itself and human nature clashing with each other, I wonder if procreation and 'doing stuff for the future of our children' is still keeping up with the times myself.

WellzY
However, as human's we've moved so far beyong that, and so now that this idea of sort of redundant, but still a fundamental beliefe for millions of people globally, in a western society, the shift seems to be towards creating a meaniful life, be it through popularity, material value, or your importance to an individual. Mostly, I'd prefer to be remembered through respectable means, and find a significant other.

But how can we see a meaningful life? I suppose it really is subjective~

I think that humans should start to actually focus more on the community as opposed to personal and domestic development. In a way, caring for oneself and one's offspring (and immediate family) is quite selfish. Trying to help the environment around us for the future (and other people as well) would be nicer, I suppose.

I'm babbling, aren't I? gonk  

Triste

Triste

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:12 am
Going to sleep. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:12 am
Yes, stop your idealistic crusade. domokun  

DNA_Guru
Captain

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:16 am
Trieste
I suppose each and every one of us have consciences after all. Are our consciences working properly? Perhaps this 'conscience' is the one that is tempered by the environment and society, through observation and personal thought processes.

WellzY

The idea of procreation was quite prevalent in the Old Testament as well, IIRC. 'Go and populate the world', didn't God say in Genesis?

Yet, with the planet already starting to choke on itself and human nature clashing with each other, I wonder if procreation and 'doing stuff for the future of our children' is still keeping up with the times myself.

WellzY

But how can we see a meaningful life? I suppose it really is subjective~

I think that humans should start to actually focus more on the community as opposed to personal and domestic development. In a way, caring for oneself and one's offspring (and immediate family) is quite selfish. Trying to help the environment around us for the future (and other people as well) would be nicer, I suppose.

I'm babbling, aren't I? gonk

Yeah, what I mentioned above about the more modern meanign of life is based on a weatern ideal of life, which is steeped in capitalist ideals, such as the ones I've mentioned. Makes me feel like a run-of-the-mill production model from society, ergh.

When I was little, I was already a communist before I even knew it already existe in the world. I remember saying to my parents "why doesn't everyone just do their jobs, and then they can get all the things in life they need, so long as they work. Everyone would be happy, people wouldn't starve."

I suppose at heart I'm more of a socilist, but my ideals seem now to have been shifted to the capitalist model.

Regarding procreation, the model for many animals in society is procreation, even if it leads to self-destruction, which we can see all the time in bacterial colonies and cancer cells. The only reason it doesn't happen to other more visible life forms, is because nature keeps it in ballance. However, humans subverted nature long ago, and have bascially turned into viruses. Gotta love the original matrix. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:11 am
I'm hungry. xp  

Triste

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:58 pm
So, how do you pronounce your user name anyway?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:04 pm
It's supposed to be Triste, not Trieste. Long story.

'tree-ste' 3nodding  

Triste

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:08 pm
I assume the name Triste was already taken, so you had to settle for second best? I know how you feel. crying  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:11 pm
No, hackers changed my name and a friend got my original name hostage. sweatdrop  

Triste

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:14 pm
Hostage... so are they really your friend then? >_> I'd be very upset, and all stabby like.  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff