Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
IDK, My BFF Jill? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~[TheMagicBirdy]~

Dapper Sex Symbol

3,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:33 pm
I remember someone mentioned walking through the school's office and the secretary dropped some coffee or something on herself and said "WTF?!" out loud.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:23 am
~[TheMagicBirdy]~
I remember someone mentioned walking through the school's office and the secretary dropped some coffee or something on herself and said "WTF?!" out loud.

Last year, a kid in my class typed a 1 page paper in leet. Thank god I graduated.  

xboxzombie

Zeh Hex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:47 pm
Very weird commercial. I always wonder how the daughter knows all this text talk, and actually can say it somehow into letters. I honestly get sick of that commercial, Cingular tries to make it funny, but it is just downright stupid.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:43 pm
God help us all if her "BFF Jill" is as literate as her...  

ButtBurgers 2k15

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:01 pm
SinnerXsainT
God help us all if her "BFF Jill" is as literate as her...

Yes, God help us.

But it's like, what gives people the idea that they can just do that? Speak like that, I mean. It just doesn't make any sense...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:28 pm
And I thought OUR grammar was going down the tube... I'm part of the generation that's in college now, rather than high school or middle school, thank God, and we don't do that kind of crap. Sure, we may use it in texting and instant messaging, but not outside of that. What kills me is how even college students will try to use these abbreviations in papers. What is up with that? That's just wrong!  

Sylvaniae

Liberal Genius

6,900 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conversationalist 100

TeeJaye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:54 pm
I am employed, I'm almost ashamed to say, by AT&T. Or more properly (and I am not kidding) at&t. Yes, with no capitals.

I am not terribly happy with their tactic of trying to appeal to the whole TXT talk thing, but I do see where they are coming from.

At least the iPhone ads are a little better. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:48 pm
TeeJaye
I am employed, I'm almost ashamed to say, by AT&T. Or more properly (and I am not kidding) at&t. Yes, with no capitals.

Yeah, some companies intentionally make names lowercase. I kind of wonder why. Maybe has something to do with the graphic appearance of it. ...Just like how Apple has iPod and iPhone. Maybe it's because I'm used to it, but it does seem to look better than Ipod and Iphone.  

Fuku Taichou

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:59 pm
Gah! That commercal is the most annoying think I have seen! It drives me insane!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:49 pm
Ho-ly CRAP. That commercial drives me bat-s**t crazy! I can't believe that kid can talk like that, or that the company would promote what, as far as I'm concerned, is a hate-crime against the English language. >>

I've gone so far as to turn the TV when I see it come on, or even get up and leave the room. My parents and fiancee find it just as appauling as I do. How could you not? I mean, at first it seemed kinda clever - like they're pointing out just how far some kids will go. But then again...YEAH, it's how far some kids will go!! Are American kids/pre-teens/teens TRULY turning into this? And perhaps even some parents? I mean...The kid's mother understood her somehow! Please, people...

SAY IT ISN'T SO!! burning_eyes  

Kadeejah Seshat

Amaya84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:18 am
TeeJaye

I am not terribly happy with their tactic of trying to appeal to the whole TXT talk thing, but I do see where they are coming from.

At least the iPhone ads are a little better. sweatdrop

Yes, at least the iPhones try to make the users look intelligent and up to date on their world. That's an improvement.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:00 pm
They made another one.

I caught the very end of it on TV today.

~_~  

Vakruz

Familiar Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

Lily-Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:17 pm
OH my good LORD! They made another one! Now it's the brother, sister, AND grandmother. When will AT&T get the clue that there is something SERIOUSLY wrong?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:49 pm
Yipes.  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:59 pm
I couldn't believe it when I saw the commercial with the grandmother. "IDK, my BFF Rose." Terrible. I mean, the first one was at least mildy amusing the first couple of times I saw it. This follow up commercial is just a travesty.

Also, I'm not sure whose sig I saw this in, but it was a comic that made fun of that commercial. The first frame was the girl saying "IDK, my BFF Jill." The second frame was her getting slapped by her mom.

Edit: I found the comic!
Edit 2: Nevermind, it's on the previous page too

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas