Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Legion of Helpers
DronzeRants... Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 69 70 71 72 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Count it!
  +1 YES!
View Results

LanceCalvis
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:32 pm
Teh Boxman
HalesABlack
There's all sorts of ways to find things out.

How do you know they're still not lying then?

That would be up to the persons trust and intuition. The approach I take is to simply think why would this person be lieing to me in the first place. Anything a person can do they will do so I don't give them the chance. Like trust trades, I just plain don't do them. A trust trade is a trade where you have only the persons word that they will give the amount of gold or items they said they would. This way of thinking also has a positive side to it. If someone has nothing to gain by lieing or deceiving you then there is no reason not to trust them.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:34 pm
LanceCalvis

That would be up to the persons trust and intuition. The approach I take is to simply think why would this person be lieing to me in the first place. Anything a person can do they will do so I don't give them the chance. Like trust trades, I just plain don't do them. A trust trade is a trade where you have only the persons word that they will give the amount of gold or items they said they would. This way of thinking also has a positive side to it. If someone has nothing to gain by lieing or deceiving you then there is no reason not to trust them.

I'm talking about in general, not just Gaia. I think it's best to just not trust anybody in the first place, no matter how nice they may seem. Chances are they're dirty manipulative liars.

Of course, ALL humans are dirty manipulative liars, but that's beside the point.  

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

LanceCalvis
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:42 pm
Teh Boxman
LanceCalvis

I'm talking about in general, not just Gaia. I think it's best to just not trust anybody in the first place, no matter how nice they may seem. Chances are they're dirty manipulative liars.

Of course, ALL humans are dirty manipulative liars, but that's beside the point.

I was talking about in general as well. I've done alot of observation of people and I would have to disagree with that statement. In general your average person is fairly trustworthy. But it would be best to avoid those situations that would test there resolve. You never really know how honest a person is until they know they can get away with something. Those are the real tests that are few and far apart.  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:03 am
hermit vs. realist...

Not as interesting as I thought it would be. Bottom line you can't generalize people because everyone is weird in there own way. Like me for example, I'm a hard a** and I like to act like a d**k-head when people are being pussies but I am a very religious person who helps out anyone who asks anything of me. (Example 2) My friend doug is a huge christian yet he still finds time to make fun of the christian religion when he isn't doing any of his school work or going to church (xD)

If you start to generalize people your taking 1 more step towards becoming immorale and then boxman you become the very thing you hate. A stereotypical person who hates anyone and everyone.  

Dameon the -V-

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:34 pm
Dammie-kins
Not as interesting as I thought it would be. Bottom line you can't generalize people because everyone is weird in there own way. Like me for example, I'm a hard a** and I like to act like a d**k-head when people are being pussies but I am a very religious person who helps out anyone who asks anything of me.

By religious, I'm assuming you mean literally and not metaphorically, and thus, I also assume you're a Christian. Therefore, I say acting like an a** isn't very Christian-like behavior.

Quote:
A stereotypical person who hates anyone and everyone.

As a misanthrope, I tend to see this as a benefit and not a hindrance. If I didn't distrust everyone I met, I would have a greater chance of being used or killed. I might even end up putting my family in danger if I'm not careful with who I trust.  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 pm
just popping in to say hi, since i'm lost into your conversation...  

Ronzalpha201

tkdauronXIII

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:36 pm
There's always a selfish motive to everything that takes place. There is no such thing as being selfless. Lie or no lie...it's still a selfish motive to do either one. Even doing nothing is being selfish in its own way...sad.  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:08 pm
tkdauronXIII
There's always a selfish motive to everything that takes place. There is no such thing as being selfless. Lie or no lie...it's still a selfish motive to do either one. Even doing nothing is being selfish in its own way...sad.

uhh, i believe you're over-defining things.

ex.
going to foreign countries to help out people of need just because you want to go on a trip does not mean you're selfish. it's just a two for one deal. it depends on how you look at things.  

Ronzalpha201

dronze
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:10 pm
Charity is, in and of itself, a selfish act, since you're doing it because it makes you feel better about yourself.  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 am
dronze
Charity is, in and of itself, a selfish act, since you're doing it because it makes you feel better about yourself.

Exactly how I feel. No human being has ever done anything out of the kindness of their heart.  

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

dronze
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:11 pm
they have, it's just that the kindness stems from a self-serving motivation. there is nothing inherantly wrong with this, but it is, indeed, selfish.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:12 am
There's a difference between selfish in its everyday meaning and selfish for the sake of deep-seated self-preservation. I could say that not being able to bite your hand and break the skin is selfish. Subconsciously, your mind and body won't let you do that because of self-preservation. In short, we can't do it because you're selfish. It's all in the interpretation.  

TheEmoSalesman

dronze
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:27 pm
I define "selfish" as being done in one's own interest, in order to attain some sort of beneficial outcome, be it material or emotional.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:58 pm
I think that a lot of people do things for selfish reasons and like, charity, for sure there is an element of selfishness in it but there are also a lot of people out there who have done things for unselfish reasons too. many humans have done things out of the kindness of their heart. Don't generalize. Charity is not the only way to do good deeds.  

HalesABlack

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:49 pm
HalesABlack
many humans have done things out of the kindness of their heart.

Name some.  
Legion of Helpers

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 69 70 71 72 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games