Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Legion of Helpers
DronzeRants... Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 69 70 71 72 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Count it!
  +1 YES!
View Results

ZephrothTlngrd

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:26 pm
I understand what you mean by the selfish act that the typical masses donate to feel good about themselves. I have known several people like that and see people constantly that do it. I however am a bit different in my donations. Yes I do give money to people but for different reasons. Good example was a scout troop raising money for summer camp. I gave them a $100 not because I wanted to feel good. I gave it simply because I believe in the scouting program (As i am an Eagle Scout). Another good example is; there is a homeless guy that bikes back and forth between towns picking up cans. I saw him one day at a wall mart picking up a tire patch. I paid for that and a bottle of water for him and gave him $10. I figured if he was getting a patch he wasn't going to be able to collect the cans he was planning on. True acts of donation are acts in which you receive nothing in return for the action. I absolutely refuse any recognition or for these acts. I am simply posting these to prove a point.

I find the same Hipocracy from many that go to church to feel good about themselves and are truely evil people the moment they drive out of the parking lot.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:17 pm
Man...did I put an interesting twist into our conversation awhile ago about selfishness or what?  

tkdauronXIII

ZephrothTlngrd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:28 pm
yup think we hit a nerve XD.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:59 pm
First person to make someone mad, or more or less to make someone angry or agitated in anyway will get to taste the bottom of my foot. *FACE KICK!*  

Dameon the -V-

dronze
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:19 am
good luck eating the sole of your own shoe, dammie.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:12 pm
dronze
good luck eating the sole of your own shoe, dammie.

I was thinking it but you said it. wink  

LanceCalvis
Crew

Dameon the -V-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:03 pm
....tasty....*Face Kicks dronze*

=P

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten any more posts. I was expecting to get some more interesting views.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:36 pm
as was I..... though the whole argument of the selfishness of humanity kinda buried it a page back quite quickly....  

dronze
Vice Captain

ZephrothTlngrd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:47 pm
yup gota love burying discussions.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:25 am
The act of charity for selfish reasons is an odd concept for me. When donating money or time to a cause. I think the idea of charity always having a semi-selfish reason attached is a battle of knowledge vs. faith. Cause you can't really look inside of a persons mind and know why they are doing what they do. Personal fulfillment may just be an after thought and not the initial reason. There are unselfish reasons a person would do an act of charity. A religious man that hands out pocket sized bibles simply because he believes in the religion. Or a young man that holds open a door for a family of four.

On the flip side you could have a bored teenager that wants to impress there girlfriend by picking up trash near a school. This is the difference between a selfless act and a semi-selfish act. Some sort of initial goal set to be gained from the action. Be it a bit of gratitude from a neighbor for helping them learn to pitch for a Baseball team. Or a healthier relationship with someone you actually care for. Overall if bitterness or resentment isn't involved after not getting whatever you wanted to get out of an act of charity, it is all good.  

LanceCalvis
Crew

dronze
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:57 am
It's a simple Pavlovian response, Lance. I'm not saying that these people are evil, selfish bastards, simply that there is an inherant psychological connection between the actions people take and the percieved outcome. Like I said, If it wasn't going to make you feel any better about yourself, would you honestly go out of your way to do something for your fellow human being?

The answer here is a pure and simple "No", and here's why...

Humans, being the pack animals that we are, do things for one of a few simple reasons:

Perception of survival/self defence
Perception of social status
Perception of improved well-being
Perception of self gratification

These 4 perceptions make up a common reasoning for everything we do, from the basic ideas of survival to anything our higher brains are capable of. These things are the reason why marketing works, as well as what we build almost all of our rationalizations for our actions around. There is nothing wrong with this, it is how we, as a species, are wired. The actual after-effects and consequences of our actions may differ from the percieved reasons, which is where bitterness and resentment come in, but it is all the same general set of motivating factors that pervades every last voulentary action we take.... taek a day and think about everything you do... you'll find that I'm absolutely right...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:05 pm
Would you say boredom as a reason for doing something falls under one of those four categories. I'm an odd sort, I can't just do nothing at any given time. If I do my mind wanders and starts to work in overtime.  

LanceCalvis
Crew

dronze
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 pm
things done out of boredom fall under the last of the 4... doing something to relieve the feeling of boredom, improving your mood... self-gratification.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:18 am
Yo Dronze, your character looks like Ruesian from Threads of fate. All you really need is silver hair and two red eyes to complete the set. Basically the story of the game. Revolves around two characters Rue and Mint. Rue lived happily with the women he loved for many years. In a small cabin in the woods. She was cooking supper when the two of them heard a strange noise outside. At first Rue thought it was a wolf but soon found out differently. In was a silver haired figure with a deformed black claw for a hand. The man attacked and he fought back. His wife came to see what all the noise was about only to see the two fighting. Rue was distracted and the black clawed man was able to knock Rue to the ground. The man came to finish Rue off as he lay on the ground. His wife struck the man in the back with a gardening hoe. He turned around and used the claw to end her. And Rue spent the next several years of his life. Looking for a legendary stone known as the Dewprism said to have the power to resurrect people.

Mints reason for questing this artifact was far more selfish. She was a selfish spoiled princess next in line for the crown. She walked into the dining room to find a large banquet of food prepared for her and the other royal fingers. Her butler instructed her that the king and his guests would be along shortly. He instructed the young prince to return to her quarters and wait until dinner time. The young girl made a snappy comment then went on to ignore the man entirely. She began sampling the food without even using silverware. Afterwards she sat down in her fathers chair and relaxed. Her sister came then began to scold the princess for such behavior and for slacking on there chores and such. Mint was an accomplished magic user. But had a very foul temper, she began to cast a spell targeted at her sister but stopped abruptly. For you see the eldest princess was the keeper of an ancient relic that had great magical properties. She began to scold her younger sister then made a living pumpkin out appear out to thin air to chase her off. Mint spent the next several years questing for the Dewprism so she would be able to defeat her sister and assume the throne.  

LanceCalvis
Crew

Legion of Helpers

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 69 70 71 72 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games