Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Galactic Travel and Information Help Desk (RP help) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 665 666 667 668 669 670 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:19 pm
On a pro-republic planet with isolated areas of occupation, that they are willing to rebuild anyway, it'll be like the american entering france all over again. Civilian populations are going to be considered, but it's not like they're going to be committing a genocide here. All the republic needs to do is route out the small insurgency population and it'll be done.

not necessarily easy, but relatively simple none-the-less.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:50 pm
Nelowulf
On a pro-republic planet with isolated areas of occupation, that they are willing to rebuild anyway, it'll be like the american entering france all over again. Civilian populations are going to be considered, but it's not like they're going to be committing a genocide here. All the republic needs to do is route out the small insurgency population and it'll be done.

not necessarily easy, but relatively simple none-the-less.

I was talking about the strategic orbital bombardment thingie. Wouldn't that cause a lot of collateral damage? Sure, the Republic's ships would try to stop firing once the shields fell, but they can't gauge it that accurately. More than a few shots would hit the ground before they'd be able to stop firing...  

Darth Fury

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:28 pm
Consider this: no matter where teh shield is placed, a ground assault is just as liable to have as much collateral damage as an orbital bombardment.

If the shields are in the cities, then launching tanks and fighters admist a chaotic populace is just as damaging as a couple spare shots. If it's like endor, then what collateral damage could you have any different? It might be lessened by a ground assault, but that's not much slower than bombing them to hell. Again, note the Assault on Hoth. Planetary shield prevented orbital bombardment, so they just landed within an hour or two and blasted it to pieces. It means a few more casualities on the soldiers side, but if it was urban, the result is still the same. Especially from ground based artillery.

One way or another, the planetary shield is one of the simplest defenses to overcome if you have the right resources. And in an era of war like this one, where it's part of daily life, finding the right tool, and the public bracing for impact is like second nature to something as big as the republic. Lyra on it's own would have difficulty summoning the resources, but the sith empire as a whole has it no trouble.

Debating ethics in war is already foolish enough, especially in a situation where they're bound to overthrow an overlord who is not of their own kind. Givin by nature hate 'lesser species'. At least with the republic they were given supremacy over their own affairs. Compared to Marr's public humiliation of the race as a whole, as well as the undeniable fact that they won't see themselves as being manipulated by the republic (who probably won't base the entire fight on the efforts of natives) is really going to soften any blows which a few stray bullets can have.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:53 pm
The Hoth analogy is a little erroneous. Only the area of Hoth with the Rebel Base was covered by the defense shields, not the entire planet. The Empire landed their troops outside the shield and then marched in under them.

Orbital bombardment would take down the shields, but it would take some time. Remember that a fleet of Star Destroyers, arguably the best warships in the galaxy, couldn't bust through them quickly enough for Vader's liking, hence the ground assault.

Planetary shields would be a constant trouble in a war such as this, and I'm sure that the Republic would have strategies to deal with them, but the most popular would probably be the same as Medieval Europe: the siege. When faced with strong defenses, surround the enemy and wear them down.

I'm not asking for them to be held at bay forever, or even for very long, just that such defenses be taken into consideration.

The thing that has bugged me the most about this whole affair is not that I was attacked, or even that it was a loss, but that the battle was summed up in one post, like anything I had to say about it or defenses I might have prepared simply didn't matter.

Skyeborne

Dapper Raider

750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Gaian 50

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 pm
I'll correct it to take in the planetary defenses.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:55 pm
There. Now the Republic has to secure the moons first.
Once they've done that, they can either use the moons as bases from which they can attack the shield and effectively blockade the planet.
You can try and attack the Republic Fleet, but I don't advise it.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:28 pm
Due note tat the sheilding on Hoth is not a planetary shield, either. They are considerably more focused, and stronger in general.

And the battle which you speak of is not the fight for the planet, merely the cleanup of remaining orbital forces. There is a big difference.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:35 pm
You really can't expect a fleet in withdrawl to put up a decent fight.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:49 pm
You heard my judgement. You control the sky's cale. now comes the planet.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:11 pm
It will fall sooner or later.
The question is weither Marr will accept the loss.  

Sol Walker
Crew

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:22 am
Must make final tweaks to the BIO and join RP...

Hey Cale, you wanna hire my mercs to go in and help the Givins overthrow the sith? After brushing up on my Givin culture I've decided that someone must utter these lines at some point on Yag'Dhul.

I hate math.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:37 am
Figuring quadratic equations is their form of greeting someone, and the fact that they view nearly every species in the galaxy as their lesser, I have a feeling the Givin will probably chalk that up to the person's inferior intellect and make a joke in base ten.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:10 am
Base ten... hey I might actually be able to understand it then. Considering the number of moons around Yag'Dhul I see an easy opportunity to utilize magnetic-accelerated mass-drivers, course the time required to set em up is annoying. We use siege weapons to punch a hole in the shield and send a commando team in that links up with the local resistance and assists in the removal of the sith puppets.

So FRICK Inc would assist with system security
Seraphim Inc will provide the siege weapons
Body Count Inc will provide the commando team
Oh, and Contraband delivers lunch.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:17 am
stellarmagic
Must make final tweaks to the BIO and join RP...

Hey Cale, you wanna hire my mercs to go in and help the Givins overthrow the sith? After brushing up on my Givin culture I've decided that someone must utter these lines at some point on Yag'Dhul.

I hate math.

The Republic will have to hire you.
What happens at Yag Dhul is out of the hands of the TEF.  

Sol Walker
Crew

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 am
Thats basically what I meant, since you're npcing the Republic.

You think they'd have a clause that'd give a bonus for conducting the operation without civilian casualties?  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 665 666 667 668 669 670 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games