Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:58 pm
Also, just because they were wearing collars/had collars does not make them Gorean. D/s and M/s lifestylers use collars too yah know blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:01 pm
ok the people try as much as they can its not perfect so get over it the only thing that bothers me is the pirates (non sca members who come to one event dressed in halloween costumes)  

hellogoodbyetoday

1,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:50 pm
I heard the most beautiful thing just two minutes ago. I had to come here and tell you all. I had thought this was bad garb, but apparently it actually happened in period.
You know those animal tails, fox tails mostly, hung off the belt; more often coming off the hip then the back.
They're period. Wearing them on the hip is period.

They were used as a remedy to attract lice away from your crotch. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:03 am
Kittywitch
I heard the most beautiful thing just two minutes ago. I had to come here and tell you all. I had thought this was bad garb, but apparently it actually happened in period.
You know those animal tails, fox tails mostly, hung off the belt; more often coming off the hip then the back.
They're period. Wearing them on the hip is period.

They were used as a remedy to attract lice away from your crotch. xd

Oh wow, that's beautiful! hehe... anti-pubic lice rofl  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

MorganOfCalafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:16 pm
I went to Amptgaurd with some of my friends on saturday and alot of the garb made me want to cry. Alot of it was made with that plasticy fabric that's made for crappy halloween costumes -shudders-  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:02 pm

I don't feel like I have a right
        to have pet peeves
        since my garb isn't that good.

But my boyfriend always keeps me on track
        with what I wear.
        he's like a freakin expert.

» » s t a y . f r e e . m y . m i s e r y

Bella Roisin Dubh

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:36 am
According to The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition:

Cotton has been spun, woven, and dyed since prehistoric times. It clothed the people of ancient India, Egypt, and China. Hundreds of years before the Christian era cotton textiles were woven in India with matchless skill, and their use spread to the Mediterranean countries. In the 1st cent. Arab traders brought fine muslin and calico to Italy and Spain. The Moors introduced the cultivation of cotton into Spain in the 9th cent. Fustians and dimities were woven there and in the 14th cent. in Venice and Milan, at first with a linen warp. Little cotton cloth was imported to England before the 15th cent., although small amounts were obtained chiefly for candlewicks. By the 17th cent. the East India Company was bringing rare fabrics from India. Native Americans skillfully spun and wove cotton into fine garments and dyed tapestries. Cotton fabrics found in Peruvian tombs are said to belong to a pre-Inca culture. In color and texture the ancient Peruvian and Mexican textiles resemble those found in Egyptian tombs.

Thank goodness I'm intending to base my persona in the Middle East. Looking at the map, I see that cotton was being used all around Europe, Asia, and Africa by the 9th century, quite well within Period for everyone except the English. Sucks to be English, eh?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:15 am
hellogoodbyetoday
ok the people try as much as they can its not perfect so get over it the only thing that bothers me is the pirates (non sca members who come to one event dressed in halloween costumes)

i'm mildly offended by that (not in a snippy way, but in a jesting way)
i AM a pirate and i try very hard to put together a really cool outfit.
if your reffering to the artificially tattered black and white/red striped capris with a parrot attached to your shoulder then i agree with you.
i actually saw at an even someone dressed EXACTLY like capt jack sparrow right down to the beard braids...it made me twitch so bad.  

Civilian13

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:57 am
Civilian13
hellogoodbyetoday

if your reffering to the artificially tattered black and white/red striped capris with a parrot attached to your shoulder then i agree with you.
i actually saw at an even someone dressed EXACTLY like capt jack sparrow right down to the beard braids...it made me twitch so bad.
I think it's pretty clear she's not referring to people who do it well.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:51 pm
I'm not really picky about other peoples garb since alot of mine really sucks. The only things that bug me are things like Jedi robes, halloween costumes, Scottsmen with samuri armour, and that plastic fabric stuff  

MorganOfCalafia

Aribella_Adrieanna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:09 am
I think the thing that bugs me the most is bad fabric. I mean, you can have the most period pattern for a houppelande or cotehardie or whatever that's out there, only to have it ruined by your choice of a tye-dyed nylon. *cringes*
I hate seeing people wearing nylons, elastic, rayons, polyester, moire, and most of all...CRUSHED VELVET. Ahhhh! Run awayyyy!!!!!! *shivers*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:03 am
Civilian13
hellogoodbyetoday

Despite his lack of imagination, it was actually a really well done costume that had obviously not been bought at a store. It was neither creative, nor period, but at least some effort was put into it. What bothered me was that he wasn't the only one. There was a whole gaggle of Jack Sparrows at this event. They had obviously come as a group and though some of them were female variations, they were even working the mannerisms.  

Runa Whynd

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:43 pm
Runa Whynd
What bothered me was that he wasn't the only one. There was a whole gaggle of Jack Sparrows at this event. They had obviously come as a group and though some of them were female variations, they were even working the mannerisms.
Cosplay is cool, but the SCA is not cosplay. Make your own character.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:04 pm
Roetroc
Well now you've opened a can of worms:
+people who used cotton/cotton blends/polyester in their clothes

Why is that such a big deal? some people work for a living and can't afford to weave their own linen cloth.
Roetroc
+hooded cloaks

I don't know about you but I'd like it if my ears didn't freeze off at night.
Roetroc
+drinking horn straps attached to belts
+tankards attached to belts

God forbid people have access to their drinking implements.
Roetroc
+non-period shoes (C'mon it's not like it's hard or anything)
It is hard. authentic shoes can be expensive, and from what I've seen, not many SCAdians are the richest people.
Roetroc
+tartan skirts on men
+kilts
+plaids (for the most part)
What do you have against the Scottish?
Roetroc
+corsets that are used to push up the breasts
That pretty much what most corsets do.
Roetroc
+large girls wearing corsets
+corsets in general really
I am not a small girl. I like my corsets. What do you have against the corset?  

kashi-ko

Seilde

Aged Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:06 am
^
I pretty much love you for this.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers