Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
HI, I'm new here. Poll; Favorite type of Magic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Favorite type of Magic;
  Elemental
  Animal spirit totems
  Animal familiars
  Sex magic
  Spirit chanelling
  Meditation/ Astral projection
  Divination
  Other, please add a post about it.
View Results

NekrotikKannibal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:30 pm
I prefer to use divination. I primarily read tarot cards but I also want to get into reading tea leaves and pendulums. I also have an interest in healing magick. I'm actually looking into reading up more on the art of healing. On a side note, I also have an interest in astral projection and would like to attempt it at some point.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:17 pm
Mostly Fire magic I would say Candle Magic, Burning things with intent, etc.
I don't have familiars but I have a pet rabbit.
Welcome to the guild! 3nodding  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100

Xion Skye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:56 am
Esiris
Xion Skye
It's not really a huge problem with me I've been working with stones and metals for a while you pick up how to do somethings. (by working I mean crafting things like rings pendents and so on.)

So how would you blood them?
I've found the easy (not the safest or pain free) way is to get a small bowl and to let the stones sit in the blood for a while. They will naturally absorbs the blood to a degree not the same as wood can but enough for the need of such a ritual. Now you can carve the rune and fill that area with blood as well and let it sit till the blood dries but I find it to be more effective my way.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:59 am
Lance Kibagari
I'm currently in the process of studying the runes and their historical uses, myself, but I've little to no inclination to use them as a divinatory tool, so I may never own a 'set'. While I know rune casting is entirely possible and a valid practice, I almost feel that it would be a misuse of them on my part.
Then again, people used runes for some really silly and lewd things back in the day, so I cannot ultimately say what is and isn't an acceptable way of using them. =P
For the most part I stick to drawing a rune a day and I'll keep it one me and call on the energy of the rune. I do use divination from time to time but I try and keep it to a minimum because I believe if the Nornes want me to know the strings of fate then I would know.  

Xion Skye

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 am
Xion Skye
I've found the easy (not the safest or pain free) way is to get a small bowl and to let the stones sit in the blood for a while. They will naturally absorbs the blood to a degree not the same as wood can but enough for the need of such a ritual. Now you can carve the rune and fill that area with blood as well and let it sit till the blood dries but I find it to be more effective my way.

What kinds of stones are you using that they're not so porous they can hold the carved image of the rune but not so porous they can absorb liquids? cat_surprised

I really want to work with this stuff in my art class! It sounds like fun!

Xion Skye
For the most part I stick to drawing a rune a day and I'll keep it one me and call on the energy of the rune. I do use divination from time to time but I try and keep it to a minimum because I believe if the Nornes want me to know the strings of fate then I would know.

This doesn't really make sense to me- isn't that like saying "If the gods wanted me to live they wouldn't have given me anti-biotics?"

I mean- if the Norns really don't want you to know something, couldn't they use the runes to tell you to go away? But if they want you to know something you're asking about, divination could be a good way to communicate right?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:22 am
Esiris
Xion Skye

What kinds of stones are you using that they're not so porous they can hold the carved image of the rune but not so porous they can absorb liquids? cat_surprised

I really want to work with this stuff in my art class! It sounds like fun!

Xion Skye

This doesn't really make sense to me- isn't that like saying "If the gods wanted me to live they wouldn't have given me anti-biotics?"

I mean- if the Norns really don't want you to know something, couldn't they use the runes to tell you to go away? But if they want you to know something you're asking about, divination could be a good way to communicate right?
The thing about rune divination is more of probability then it is the fates giving you an answer I'm not sure if that's the same for all divination practice. It's like when you come to the end of a road and it splits of in many directions. The runes can help show you which may be the most likely path but if it where to tell you the answer then that takes away from self reliance which is one of our noble virtues. And for stone depending on how well they are smoothed out before you either a. buy them or b. carve them can make a large difference that's why sometimes it's better to just follow the carving that's been made.  

Xion Skye

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:28 am
Xion Skye
The thing about rune divination is more of probability then it is the fates giving you an answer I'm not sure if that's the same for all divination practice.
I'm not sure why that is- could you explain it to me? I mean, why wouldn't someone who is connected to Odin use them to ask him for his insight?

Quote:
The runes can help show you which may be the most likely path but if it where to tell you the answer then that takes away from self reliance which is one of our noble virtues.

That doesn't make any sense to me- how can using power from the industrial grid be "ok" but using runes to talk to the gods not be?

If self reliance was so important to the Norse pagans- why did they have blacksmiths who would barter with farmers, who would barter with hunters and stuff?

Quote:
And for stone depending on how well they are smoothed out before you either a. buy them or b. carve them can make a large difference that's why sometimes it's better to just follow the carving that's been made.

But what kind of stone? If it's porous enough to absorb blood then how come it doesn't flake or something when you throw them?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:56 pm
Esiris
I'm not sure why that is- could you explain it to me? I mean, why wouldn't someone who is connected to Odin use them to ask him for his insight?

The concepts of Wyrd and Orlog likely apply here. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm talking about there! I know Ulfrikr and Deoridhe had a better understanding, but I'm having trouble tracking down relevant posts.

Why wouldn't the individual with connections to Odin just leave an offering and ask him themselves? The Old Man has a tendency to twist words and answers to suit his needs. Even if one were to receive his answer, it might be cryptic and vague. I can't imagine interpreting his answer through the runes would be of much help.

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense to me- how can using power from the industrial grid be "ok" but using runes to talk to the gods not be?

If one can consider rune casting to be 'talking to the gods', then perhaps it is okay. But historically individuals were just as likely to use the runes to poke fun of someone's p***s size as they were to inscribe protective charms into items or cast runes or even cast love spells. The idea of runic divination as it is known today is a modern invention.

As for speaking to the gods at all, I have a snippet of one of Ulfrikr's post that may be relevant:

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
I personally find that the majority of those whom honour Loki seem to have a love/hate thing going on with the things that happen in their lives. Often in discussions on the matter, people seem to praise Loki, whilst at the same time cursing him for an involvement in their lives. As a bit of a traditionalist, I see such desire to see the gods and goddesses at work in our lives to be a bit too much on the level of being desired. If we look at our ancestral literature, very few people actually had anything to do with the gods and goddesses, and indeed, those that did were often of a particular family or group of families.

By far the most common entities honoured were the ancestors and the spirits of the land. The gods and goddesses tended to be invoked on major undertakings only. For example, at the changing of the seasons, for dangerous journeys, esp over the ocean/seas.

Edit: Though I'll heartily admit that the argument that times have changed and the gods are more open to dealing with 'common men' now holds weight. Certainly there are fewer kings and heroes to choose from, and the idea of 'battle' may have changed as bloodshed is no longer the norm.  

Lance Kibagari

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:53 pm
I don't like the dependence on and strict adherence to the NNV. (Mostly because I think they're the wrong qualities but also because it's a very limited lens through which to view the world.)

There's a citation somewhere of "casting" bits of wood upon which were drawn symbols for divination purposes. I'm pretty sure it was something Ibn Fadlan said but I wouldn't know where to find it again, and there's nothing to say they were runes. Still indicates precedence of divination with something.

I think seeking to know future events is absolutely self-reliant. Why would you wait for something to happen when you could gain knowledge - and the upper hand? It's more self-reliant than asking a spaekona. Odin went to ask a Volva about the future.

Lance: I don't think it's the gods that are more open, I think it's people. It's not just a bunch of laypeople who go about their days; people who are really pulled to Heathenry, for the most part, are people who will form those relationships with deities. Many Heathens have fulltrui; many Heathens are "god-people". You do have a fair few people who focus mainly on wights themselves, and other people who believe but are generally non-practising. But because we are so small in number it's the people who are called to service who are going to be the first to convert.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:09 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
I don't like the dependence on and strict adherence to the NNV. (Mostly because I think they're the wrong qualities but also because it's a very limited lens through which to view the world.)

I'm not a big fan of them, either; there's a lot more to take from the Eddas and Sagas than nine virtues. It's nice that they tried to codify what's most important, but they missed the mark.

Quote:
There's a citation somewhere of "casting" bits of wood upon which were drawn symbols for divination purposes. I'm pretty sure it was something Ibn Fadlan said but I wouldn't know where to find it again, and there's nothing to say they were runes. Still indicates precedence of divination with something.

I believe Tacitus may have spoken of something like that in Germania. While I dislike Wikipedia:

Tacitus bit from Wikipedia's Runic Magic page because I'm lazy
They attach the highest importance to the taking of auspices and casting lots. Their usual procedure with the lot is simple. They cut off a branch from a nut-bearing tree and slice it into strips these they mark with different signs and throw them at random onto a white cloth. Then the state's priest, if it is an official consultation, or the father of the family, in a private one, offers prayer to the gods and looking up towards heaven picks up three strips, one at a time, and, according to which sign they have previously been marked with, makes his interpretation. If the lots forbid an undertaking, there is no deliberation that day about the matter in question. If they allow it, further confirmation is required by taking auspices.[1]

According to this, he doesn't say 'runes', but 'different signs'. Granted, the signs he wrote of may have been runes and he didn't know of them all that well, but I suppose it calls into question whether the signs were something else.

Still, it does indicate a precedence of divination - that much I'll agree with, but I'm still unconvinced of modern rune divination when it comes to my own practice.

Quote:
Lance: I don't think it's the gods that are more open, I think it's people. It's not just a bunch of laypeople who go about their days; people who are really pulled to Heathenry, for the most part, are people who will form those relationships with deities. Many Heathens have fulltrui; many Heathens are "god-people". You do have a fair few people who focus mainly on wights themselves, and other people who believe but are generally non-practising. But because we are so small in number it's the people who are called to service who are going to be the first to convert.

To be honest, I'd never analyzed it, but it does make sense the way you explain it.

What I'm curious of is how many "god-people" also at least attempt to focus on the ancestors (if they have any, which I assume can be problematic in a fashion) and the landvaettir? If many Heathens are failing to give them their due, what possible repurcussions could there be, if any?

Ack, getting off topic. My apologies.  

Lance Kibagari

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:15 pm
Lance Kibagari
I believe Tacitus may have spoken of something like that in Germania. While I dislike Wikipedia:

Why do you dislike Wikipedia?

Quote:
According to this, he doesn't say 'runes', but 'different signs'. Granted, the signs he wrote of may have been runes and he didn't know of them all that well, but I suppose it calls into question whether the signs were something else.

Still, it does indicate a precedence of divination - that much I'll agree with, but I'm still unconvinced of modern rune divination when it comes to my own practice.

That's OK. I've never heard anyone try to say divination with runes was an ancient thing. It's pretty much widely considered to be a modern thing, but no worse for it.

Quote:
To be honest, I'd never analyzed it, but it does make sense the way you explain it.

What I'm curious of is how many "god-people" also at least attempt to focus on the ancestors (if they have any, which I assume can be problematic in a fashion) and the landvaettir? If many Heathens are failing to give them their due, what possible repurcussions could there be, if any?

Ack, getting off topic. My apologies.

I'm not sure there would be any more repercussions than there would be if one were non-religious. And I think the majority of Heathens honour ancestors, but honouring wights seems to be given less attention.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:48 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

Well, I'll admit I admire the Wikipedia's goal and how it goes about it, but as almost anyone can edit it, the information can vary from very accurate and well-sourced to absolute junk driven from popular culture. The Wicca page used to be along the lines of the latter, but seems to have been cleaned up a lot.

Granted, it seems their standards have risen in a lot of areas, so maybe my dislike of Wikipedia as a source should be evaluated.  

Lance Kibagari

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:52 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

I think seeking to know future events is absolutely self-reliant. Why would you wait for something to happen when you could gain knowledge - and the upper hand? It's more self-reliant than asking a spaekona. Odin went to ask a Volva about the future.

That's a better way of putting it- thanks Sang!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:03 am
Lance Kibagari
Sanguina Cruenta

Well, I'll admit I admire the Wikipedia's goal and how it goes about it, but as almost anyone can edit it, the information can vary from very accurate and well-sourced to absolute junk driven from popular culture. The Wicca page used to be along the lines of the latter, but seems to have been cleaned up a lot.

Granted, it seems their standards have risen in a lot of areas, so maybe my dislike of Wikipedia as a source should be evaluated.

As encyclopedias go it's pretty accurate. More than many. And anyone can follow up the footnotes; if it's junk, it's obviously junk. That's no reason to dislike wikipedia, just the motivations of editing users. If you doubt a page, check the sources, check the discussion page and recent changes.

I think the way it can be edited by anyone is one of its strengths. Those with knowledge can contribute and flesh out shorter articles. For the most part it works well, it only falls down when particular users edit inappropriately. But even vandalism can be fun; I love it when people add in little jokes - a while ago, you could go to the page on wind instruments and find "Ocarina of Time" listed there. Repeat vandals get their IPs blocked from editing.

I love the idea of wikipedia as a conglomeration of human knowledge, constantly growing and evaluating itself and evolving.

Particularly since it keeps a chunk of primary sources in wikisource. If nothing else it's a place to find decent links to browse through, if you don't trust the text on the wiki page itself. I use it daily.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Ren Tohimaru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:01 pm
I'm partial to elemental magic and animal spirits  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games