Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The Loss of Literacy in Modern America Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you blame for the lack of literacy?
  Television
  Computers
  Peer validation (If its alright for them to do it, its alright for me to do it!
  Laziness
  Bad genetics
View Results

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:06 am
I highly doubt that it is laziness. How is laziness linked to text talk when it is much more difficult to type in that language instead of proper English? confused  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:48 am
Jill_Frost
Reinforcement from peers, both local and television icons, give the impression to adults and children alike that being too smart makes you look uncool. Memo from society-> Nerds need not apply; bookworms and their undesirable ilk will be rejected without due process. A few shows and icons attempt to battle this trend, but precious few stand any chance of success.

There are precious few hobbies that treasure or encourage intelligence or creativity; musical instruments, table-top roleplaying, chess, writing groups, and notable others, almost all of which have been classed by peers as the domain of nerds and social undesirables. Society in general is perpetrating its own demise praising the idiotic and ridiculous and by reducing its intelligent members to the rank of persona non grata.

3nodding  

lola_siannodel

LaForet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:33 am
Television is the real problem. All my friends who do not enjoy reading tell me going to the movies is more fun... crying  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:54 am
I think it's television. Unfortunately, all of the children I know won't leave their video games, and if their satellite and cable go out, they're changing channels through static. However, in where I've been, my friends are usually very intelligent people that actually use grammar in their sentences.  

Transiberian Orchestra

TaintedNightmare

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:51 pm
I really dont have any idea why a lot of people use "txt tlk". I would guess though that its because its faster to type in than proper english, though I find 'txt tlk' harder in ways.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:58 pm
TaintedNightmare
I really dont have any idea why a lot of people use "txt tlk". I would guess though that its because its faster to type in than proper english, though I find 'txt tlk' harder in ways.

Hmmm....Yes. I used to use txt tlk because it was easier for me to keep up with other people in chatrooms, but now I don't have to worry.  

lola_siannodel

Obito Sharingan Uchiha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:02 am
I dissagree, there are many intelligent people in America, just unknown.
Take me, I'm 12 and I may have 3 times the IQ of my father. lol  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:44 pm
am17

Well, we're not saying that Americans are dumb. (although our education system leaves much to be desired)  

lola_siannodel

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:30 pm
lola_siannodel
am17

Well, we're not saying that Americans are dumb. (although our education system leaves much to be desired)
Yes! Bring out the American education system! It sucks! Any of you heard of our dear President Bush's idea of "No Child Left Behind?" That's absolute crap. He's holding the children that are "ahead" (in an American sense) in their academics back so that the people that can't keep up with the pace of "American" schoolwork won't feel stupid.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:48 am
There is a very simple answer.
Reading is an aquired taste. Noone knows one day, hey I like to read!
Therefor, I blame the rising cost of living. Because noone has time anymore to read there children bedtime stories, the children never quite learn about books.
I would also like to point out that it is only reacently, and I mean that in the historical sense, that literacy has become the social norm. Two-hundred years ago the average person couldn't read at all, now thousands of people can read and write in two languages.
Although it would be far more comforting if I could say that thousands of Americans could read and write in two different languages.
And Please don't get me started on Bush's "No child left untested." That system doesn't even take into account that children move, and occasionally die, and expects to have a 100% graduation rate in just a few years. And the are including in this children with mental hanicaps, who will soon no longer be able to attain there special diploma.
(No.... I havn't put any thought into this one at all.)  

GabbySilverwood

Sylph_Jr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:49 am
Quote:
...children alike that being too smart makes you look uncool....
I agree with that, but I find that if someone is speaking with too much emphasis on a higher vocabulary than they actually know (or when they talk about subjects they are not too familiar enough with) that it is more irritating than being "uncool". Dunno, >< maybe it is because my friend tends to talk like that?

And she reads all the time, but not books that are our reading level (though they are good books). Maybe I just find her personality abrasive? O_o...I'm not good at making arguments or opinions, but that it part of my view on it. I don't think people liked being outstarred or looking stupid. I know that I don't appreciate her trying to act superior, in the sense that she knows more. Maybe I'm just being arrogant and one-sided though! X)

And I tend to stay away from any politics in conversations. I'm not for either side, but then again, I'm most certainly not for Bush or any of his brilliant ideas. stare  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:55 am
I sometimes feel like America is only full of stupid people, because I feel that in school, that's the only type I encounter. People in my eighth grade class can't tell the difference between evaporation and condensation, even though we've been learning that for weeks. I don't understand how people can not understand, in the same way that I don't understand how people can use chatspeak. When we are on the internet, the only way people can really know you is through your words. And quite honestly, chatspeak makes people look stupid and lazy. So why do they continue to portray themselves in such a manner?  

Moppeh

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:56 pm
Moppeh
I sometimes feel like America is only full of stupid people, because I feel that in school, that's the only type I encounter. People in my eighth grade class can't tell the difference between evaporation and condensation, even though we've been learning that for weeks. I don't understand how people can not understand, in the same way that I don't understand how people can use chatspeak. When we are on the internet, the only way people can really know you is through your words. And quite honestly, chatspeak makes people look stupid and lazy. So why do they continue to portray themselves in such a manner?

People in my 9th grade english classes remember that Edgar Allen Poe married his cousin (Which was acceptable back in his day) more than they remember his acctual works xd  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:22 am
Have you any figures that concern illiteracy in America today compared to other eras?  

Fatal Hilarity

ch4nel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:00 am
I think its 110% Laziness. People just want to lack literacy. I know someone, who clam's he was in meny spelling B's. But he spelled many things wrong on the computer. I asked him why he spelt it wrong. He seid " Becuase im to lazy to have literacy." That made me so made >_<  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff