Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Human cloning. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

yes
  no
View Results

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:27 pm
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
When you were born, you weighed less than 10 pounds. Now, you weigh closer to 200. That mass didn't come from nowhere. That came, bit by bit, from the food you ate.

Actually, not really. The food kept me alive, and gave nutrients to the cells, which reproduced to be more cells, causing my body to grow. Also, muscle mass is more accredited to working out, getting micro-tears, which the body then automatically repairs, giving it more mass, to allow it to carry a heavier load.

The food was merely the fuel, as electricity is to robots. The difference is that organic bodies can grow, and repair minor damages, automatically, where a robot would have to attach foreign materials to itself to accomplish such. Basically, as I grow, my body repairs itself. I don't have to tear my arm off, and attach one with bigger muscle mass, to become stronger, I just work the muscle I DO have, and it upgrades itself, automatically, without outside foreign materials, aside from fuel.

Then where did the mass come from? When a cell divides, it turns one large cell into two small cells, each exactly half the mass of the original cell. They have to grow again to make larger cells. This mass comes from the food you eat. You eat, you grow. This is why starving children are all skin and bones, and it's why they grow slower than children who aren't starving.

In short, this mass has to come from somewhere. Your cells can't pull it out of another dimension like a bad sci-fi movie. The extra mass comes from the food you eat. If memory serves, it's largely protein that adds this mass. Thus, protein shakes for bodybuilders and weightlifters.

True, but my point is that, for these robots to be considered alive, the molecules in the material that makes up the robot, would have to be able to automatically divide themselves, as cells do. But they do not. If you want to increase the mass of a robot, the extra mass has to be added on manually, like if I cut my own arm open and shoved extra muscle into it.

So "growth by cell division" is on your list of 'things that are required to be alive'?

Ok, that's definitely a better wording for what I've been trying to say.

Quote:
That seems to be a fair point.

Thank you.

Quote:
Man, you made me think of an old Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin daydeams about getting extra brains surgically implanted so he can get smarter. xd

I thought EVERYTHING made you think of Calvin and Hobbes. ninja  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:57 pm
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

Actually, not really. The food kept me alive, and gave nutrients to the cells, which reproduced to be more cells, causing my body to grow. Also, muscle mass is more accredited to working out, getting micro-tears, which the body then automatically repairs, giving it more mass, to allow it to carry a heavier load.

The food was merely the fuel, as electricity is to robots. The difference is that organic bodies can grow, and repair minor damages, automatically, where a robot would have to attach foreign materials to itself to accomplish such. Basically, as I grow, my body repairs itself. I don't have to tear my arm off, and attach one with bigger muscle mass, to become stronger, I just work the muscle I DO have, and it upgrades itself, automatically, without outside foreign materials, aside from fuel.

Then where did the mass come from? When a cell divides, it turns one large cell into two small cells, each exactly half the mass of the original cell. They have to grow again to make larger cells. This mass comes from the food you eat. You eat, you grow. This is why starving children are all skin and bones, and it's why they grow slower than children who aren't starving.

In short, this mass has to come from somewhere. Your cells can't pull it out of another dimension like a bad sci-fi movie. The extra mass comes from the food you eat. If memory serves, it's largely protein that adds this mass. Thus, protein shakes for bodybuilders and weightlifters.

True, but my point is that, for these robots to be considered alive, the molecules in the material that makes up the robot, would have to be able to automatically divide themselves, as cells do. But they do not. If you want to increase the mass of a robot, the extra mass has to be added on manually, like if I cut my own arm open and shoved extra muscle into it.

So "growth by cell division" is on your list of 'things that are required to be alive'?

Ok, that's definitely a better wording for what I've been trying to say.

Quote:
That seems to be a fair point.

Thank you.

Quote:
Man, you made me think of an old Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin daydeams about getting extra brains surgically implanted so he can get smarter. xd

Calvin and Hobbes i like the bible. If you can't make a reference to it from anything, you're not trying hard enough.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:09 pm
Fresnel
Quote:

Calvin and Hobbes i like the bible. If you can't make a reference to it from anything, you're not trying hard enough.

Prosecution rests.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces