Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Spell checkers, boon or bane? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spell checkers, boon or bane?
  They are great. They help me catch mistakes I would never be able to catch on my own.
  They encourage laziness and let homophones escape.
  They are good, but should not be used a substitute for proof reading.
View Results

Inquisitor Loki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:48 am
I suck at spelling now because of spell checkers. I wish I could go back in time and make myself never use it... but it is too late for me now.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:57 pm
I make a lot of typing errors when I get really into whatever I'm writing. If I didn't have spell check on, I'd still miss a few things during a proof read.

Even when the word is not in the standard spell-check list, it does make me question whether I have correctly spelled the word in question. At least it makes me worry enough to check with dictionary.com. At least that.  

AkuTaco

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:35 pm
I personaly think spell checking is going to make a difference because people who use it can't use chat and other stuff and if they want to use chat speak it won't matter if spellcheck is there or not. I think it's a good thing depending on the person using it. I use spell check on my major homework assinment but I'm pretty good at finding my mistakes. Though my English isn't the best but it's okay so I find spell check to be a helpful thing when I'm stuck on a word.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:50 pm
I agree with Yami no Hitokiri, it does help a lot, and it teaches me words I didn't know. At the same time, though, it should never be used for proof-reading. I'm surprised the grammar check doesn't flag it.  

CosmicSweetss

Sparkly Fairy

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200

Queen of the Blue Twins

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:40 pm
darkshy
The Vampire Ruler
Spell checkers are at times a pain in the a**, because they dont read the sentence to see if the word fits right it is spelled; but not used correctly, and secondly it encourages laziness but also spares those that don't know how to pell the word correctly.

Don't has an apostrophe in it.
it is spelled does not make sense in your first sentence.
In your last sentence you spelled "spell" wrong.
You may need to proofread your sentences a little more before you just post stare

2. They do proofread youe sentences now. I for a fact do proofread but when I have a report i need to finish I'm typing pretty fast and tend to miss common errors.

rofl You missed typos of your own. youe - did you mean your? and i is always capitalized .
Sorry, not trying to be a Nazi, just thought it was funny. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:38 am
I like spell checkers.

Using one from a word processor and having a human being proofread your work can pretty much eliminate a good 95% of your spelling mistakes.

The only problem is the "they're," "there," and "their" usage. They're all spelled correctly, but it won't tell if if you used the wrong one.

("Their so funny" would not be highlighted as incorrect.)

I use it once in a while, but I don't rely too heavily on it.

Computers think they're so smart... stare  

Lekonua

Wealthy Genius

5,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

AceDespara

Dapper Explorer

9,025 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:35 pm
Laziness caused by the use of spellcheckers? Perhaps. I know that I do not have perfect grammar and the spellchecker is a blessing in disguise when odd phrases or usages arise in my or others work. For example, I'm on an online forum and the owner of the forum posted something he thought I would be interested in. I read it and something caught my eye. He used "This has been statistically proved....". I let him know that the correct way to phrase that is "This has been statistically proven....". We both ended up being wrong as the correct phrasing is either "This statistically has been proved...." or "This has been proved statistically....". English is an odd language and while I am (hopefully) quite good at using correct grammar and such, I loathe English class - . -  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:31 pm
I never use Spellcheck. Whenever I am in doubt of the spelling of a word (which doesn't usually happen), I consult my Merriam Webster's International Dictionary. smile  

Rainbow-Power Kool-Aid

Colorful Elder

16,100 Points
  • Fortuitous Finder 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Triste

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:33 pm
Bill Gates can take his MS Word spellchecker and shove it up his rectum. People get lazy because of it and never bother to check the proper spelling of those problem words at all. domokun  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:58 pm
Triste
Bill Gates can take his MS Word spellchecker and shove it up his rectum. People get lazy because of it and never bother to check the proper spelling of those problem words at all. domokun

"We're nowhere near prepared
There's no way of knowing

You said it.

Why don't they just admit they're scared?
'Cause it's already showing." ~Alkaline Trio

Rainbow-Power Kool-Aid

Colorful Elder

16,100 Points
  • Fortuitous Finder 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Shigures Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:05 pm
=] C a r t e l - H o n e s t l y

I actually find spell-checkers (like the ones in Word and Firefox) to be quite unreliable. They don't catch a lot of mistakes, and they do encourage laziness.

--~~--

Please don't mind what I'm trying to say

'Cause I'm, I'm being honest
You're part of the reason I'm so set on the rest of my life
Being a part of you
You tell me what you think about being open,
About being honest with yourself.

'Cause things will never be the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:00 pm
Haha. Once I was proofreading somebody's essay, and it didn't make sense. o.O I asked the person why there were so many mistakes. You know what his reply was? "The computer never said it was wrong!!" xD
How lazy of him.. razz

The One and Only Guardian

KadajNu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:12 pm
I have always had trouble with my spelling, so I used to use a spellchecker whenever I posted anywhere. I eventually weened myself off the spellcheck though. It really helped me how to remember stuff. But then my computer went kaput, so I lost the spellchecker anyway 4laugh  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:20 am
It appears most agree, and I am not surprised. "They are good, but should not be used a substitute for proof reading." While a spell checker helps me catch spelling errors, it can never replace a good proof-reading. The program isonly designed to find things it considers errors. It has no idea what you are writing and can possibly damage the meaning you give your words or make no sense at all while repairing your grammar. Also, my own spell checker knows less English than me. That can also be an issue.  

Raimyah

Girl-Crazy Sex Symbol

9,975 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

LunaticBelle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:10 am
I think spell check isn't a bad thing unless you over use it. It doesn't always have words that you need which is annoying.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff