Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
The "Why Do..." / "How Come..." Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:28 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
This isn't really a "how to" or a "how come" question. I hope it counts lol. So, is it bad if you have stuff in your closet already for a cosplay? I mean, isn't it a waste of money to buy fabric if you already have the stuff in your closet? I ask this because I'm going as Hikaru Hitchaiin and I'm gonna wear his summer outfit. The thing is, I already have capris, black beater, and a white beater. I just need a blue one.

I think that's fine. Cosplay is cosplay. If you're having fun, go for it!

Baret Rapsba
Why do girls feel the need to dress "sexy" and get up and dance on benches?
You are already getting enough attention with your outfit, why do you need to dance?

Because dancing is fun? If it's the cute anime dance covers, I think most people (like me) do it because it's fun. Also, some people want all the attention they can get so if that gets them attention, they'll do it.

Lady Cecilie
Why is it that nobody cosplays classics anymore? Like seriously me and my friends are planning a Fushigi Yugi cosplay group and nobody knows what Fushigi Yugi is! Why also does everybody recognize Miku and Luka and Rin but they have no clue who Meiko is. Meiko is one of the first Vocaloids and my favorite so I cosplayed her and nobody knew who Meiko was. I eve had her actual costume on and then when I cosplayed Rin in a random Yukata everyone immediately knew who I was even if I didn't have my bow on!

Some things just aren't as current with the new generation. Some characters get overlooked especially with something like vocaloid which is largely (though not as much now) fan-hyped.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:50 pm
smithers456
1. Why do people, especially non Cosplayers wear hug me signs? Being outgoing at a convention I will hug some of these people back but if a lot of people wear these signs then it can get to be annoying.
2. I do truely enjoy seeing the effort that some Cosplayers use to make a complete Cosplay outfit. Being a photographer I won't even bother taking a picture of someone that looks like they just started to make a Cosplay outfit.
3. Why do people just walk into a shot that you are taking of a Cosplayer? Sometimes it takes a few moments for a Cosplayer to get into a decent pose for me to take a picture of and the shot can be ruined by a last moment interruption. Also I don't want to take up too much of the Cosplayers time when I take their picture. Thanks to Cosplayers who make an effort to pose for me. smile All really nice photos that I take I share with people on various sites.

1. True. I find that it gets annoying as well. It's basically the anime fanbase that you have to look at. There's a lot of people with personalities that are just like that. Either they do it because they really do just want hugs... from everyone... or they want to feel loved... or they think it's the 'cool' thing to do.

2. Is this a question? gonk

3. If you're doing it in a high traffic area, it can actually be a challenge to not get in anyone's way, especially when the photographer and cosplayer are standing far apart. I'll be honest, I've accidentally walked through impromptu photoshoots multiple times simply because there were so many going on in a very highly populated area and I was trying to find someone/ keep up with my group.

Sifen Yamishi
How come the cosplay circuit has declined into a mire of blacklisting, bullying, drama and elitism?[I ask this one personally because I love cosplay, but am considering quitting the circuit due to this]

Why are conventions censoring cosplays and skits now?[First year I went, I was able to experience the yaoi skits, now you can't even find them]

Because people like feeling superior to others. :/ People also like to feel that they're part of an exclusive group and take themselves and their craft way too seriously. If someone's getting paid for it, chances are that they think that people are belittling what they do professionally by claiming that they do the same thing when the professional doesn't think so...? I don't really know. I don't think you should quit just because of that, though. No matter what you get into, there will be mean, cold, elitist people.

Because everything should be family-friendly? Not to say that yaoi relationships aren't family-friendly (Which they ARE) if they were doing things like making out as the characters or other subsexual things, it's not really family appropriate. Even a heterosexual couple making out as a skit isn't family-appropriate. Also, doing things above holding hands for anyone in a public place would be considered inappropriate by many including wearing collars and other things that many yaoi cosplayers enjoyed wearing. Is that what you mean?

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Another question I have:
How come convention staff don't do anything about the blacklisting/bullying/drama/elitism?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 pm
Sifen Yamishi
Another question I have:
How come convention staff don't do anything about the blacklisting/bullying/drama/elitism?

That's kind of a vague question that lacks context, more details would be helpful in providing an answer, but I'll try my best to give you an answer:

If someone is actually bullying you, as in, harassing you and won't leave you alone, not just a person in your group of friends who doesn't treat you as nicely as you'd like them to, then the convention staff should do something about it, or, if you really feel that you are being harassed (seriously) there are laws against this and you can always call the police.

As far as drama and elitism go, again, it depends on the context of what you're talking about, but if it's drama and elitism within a group of people you belong to, then I suggest finding a better group of friends. If it's that you feel too many people are over-dramatic and elitist at a convention in general, well, welcome to teenagers, it's part of growing up; there's no practical way to prevent that entirely, we can only step in if things get really out of hand. (Again a lack of details really doesn't help on this one).

As for blacklisting, I really don't understand what you're referring to exactly on that one at all.  

IAMKOREA

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:57 pm
Sifen Yamishi
Another question I have:

Most cons do have a policy on that, however, it's hard to enforce it when you don't have a lot of staff, staff is often busy, or there is so many people that they're trying to get everyone in as fast as they can.

It's also fair to say that they can just boot someone out on something that someone and their friends said. Now if a third party came out and said it happen then it's a easier to say 'get out'.

Trust me it's harder then it looks. I volunteer at cons.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:24 am
angelmage99

Most cons do have a policy on that, however, it's hard to enforce it when you don't have a lot of staff, staff is often busy, or there is so many people that they're trying to get everyone in as fast as they can.

It's also fair to say that they can just boot someone out on something that someone and their friends said. Now if a third party came out and said it happen then it's a easier to say 'get out'.

Trust me it's harder then it looks. I volunteer at cons.

If I wanted to go that route, who would I have to tell it to on staff?  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:13 pm
Sifen Yamishi

Usually you can find it on the con's site.

Words to look for:
Volunteer
Maid/Butler
Staff
Security

Also I recommend going to pre-con meetings. They are usually open to everyone so ideas can be passed around. Get the chair and committee members to notice you and you'll have an easier time doing that kind of stuff.

The reason I volunteer at one of the cons that I go to is because the vast majority of the committee members and the chair know who I am. Then again I met them all at the first time they had the con, now I've volunteer four years straight.

So one month till I go to Kuronekocon in Spokane Washington.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:17 pm
angelmage99

Words to look for:
Volunteer
Maid/Butler
Staff
Security

Also I recommend going to pre-con meetings. They are usually open to everyone so ideas can be passed around. Get the chair and committee members to notice you and you'll have an easier time doing that kind of stuff.

The reason I volunteer at one of the cons that I go to is because the vast majority of the committee members and the chair know who I am. Then again I met them all at the first time they had the con, now I've volunteer four years straight.

Many thank yous!  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:35 pm
Sifen Yamishi
angelmage99

Words to look for:
Volunteer
Maid/Butler
Staff
Security

Many thank yous!

No problem.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:21 am
La Petite Medic
smithers456
1. Why do people, especially non Cosplayers wear hug me signs? Being outgoing at a convention I will hug some of these people back but if a lot of people wear these signs then it can get to be annoying.
2. I do truely enjoy seeing the effort that some Cosplayers use to make a complete Cosplay outfit. Being a photographer I won't even bother taking a picture of someone that looks like they just started to make a Cosplay outfit.
3. Why do people just walk into a shot that you are taking of a Cosplayer? Sometimes it takes a few moments for a Cosplayer to get into a decent pose for me to take a picture of and the shot can be ruined by a last moment interruption. Also I don't want to take up too much of the Cosplayers time when I take their picture. Thanks to Cosplayers who make an effort to pose for me. smile All really nice photos that I take I share with people on various sites.

1. True. I find that it gets annoying as well. It's basically the anime fanbase that you have to look at. There's a lot of people with personalities that are just like that. Either they do it because they really do just want hugs... from everyone... or they want to feel loved... or they think it's the 'cool' thing to do.

2. Is this a question? gonk

3. If you're doing it in a high traffic area, it can actually be a challenge to not get in anyone's way, especially when the photographer and cosplayer are standing far apart. I'll be honest, I've accidentally walked through impromptu photoshoots multiple times simply because there were so many going on in a very highly populated area and I was trying to find someone/ keep up with my group.

Sifen Yamishi
How come the cosplay circuit has declined into a mire of blacklisting, bullying, drama and elitism?[I ask this one personally because I love cosplay, but am considering quitting the circuit due to this]

Why are conventions censoring cosplays and skits now?[First year I went, I was able to experience the yaoi skits, now you can't even find them]

Because people like feeling superior to others. :/ People also like to feel that they're part of an exclusive group and take themselves and their craft way too seriously. If someone's getting paid for it, chances are that they think that people are belittling what they do professionally by claiming that they do the same thing when the professional doesn't think so...? I don't really know. I don't think you should quit just because of that, though. No matter what you get into, there will be mean, cold, elitist people.

Because everything should be family-friendly? Not to say that yaoi relationships aren't family-friendly (Which they ARE) if they were doing things like making out as the characters or other subsexual things, it's not really family appropriate. Even a heterosexual couple making out as a skit isn't family-appropriate. Also, doing things above holding hands for anyone in a public place would be considered inappropriate by many including wearing collars and other things that many yaoi cosplayers enjoyed wearing. Is that what you mean?

Question 1. See above. Yes, I noticed that the Anime Fan Base in each con is different, which might mean that certain people at cons think that it's OK to wear "Hug me Signs". What do you think about cons having specific rules about wearing these signs and rules about "Glomping" as well?
Question 2. Basically the question is: Why do some Cosplayers make what looks like a partial Cosplay outfit? Some of these Cosplay outfits aren't even recognizable. I'm starting to see this more and more at cons lately.
Question 3. What do you think about cons having more photoshoot area's? Yes, con's do have general ones based on certain Anime series. Perhaps a second area could be set aside for Cosplayers and Photographers to meet in general and be able to take pictures in a less crowded or less traffic area.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash