Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
New Members' Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am here for...
languages
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
linguistics
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
both
77%
 77%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 70

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:39 pm
Cookie_Paradise
Hello everyone! :3
Gaia Name: Cookie_Paradise
Age: 15.8 (If I did my math correctly...still....I feel really young... sweatdrop )
Location: Ohio, a little state full of cornfields in the U.S. emotion_donotwant
Languages Spoken: English, Japanese
Languages Learning--
Currently Learning: Dutch, Mandarin Chinese (Putonghua, the "official" language of mainland China), German, still fixing my Japanese, and Estonian
Want to Learn: Norwegian, Korean, Icelandic, Tagalog, Polish, Finnish, and as many others as possible. emotion_yatta
I really want to move out of America to either Norway or the Netherlands at some point, and I want to be an interpreter/translator. I hope to know as many languages and customs as possible so I can do that one day. emotion_kirakira

Hey, I remember you.
I see you've found my little hideaway, here. ;}
One day, we'll have learning threads for all those languages! I just have to sort everything out and, well, get it done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:59 am
Shizuka Mizu

Hey, I remember you.
One day, we'll have learning threads for all those languages! I just have to sort everything out and, well, get it done.

Yep, I found it. It took me a while, but I found it. emotion_awesome
Hey, it's okay. Whenever you feel like you can get stuff up and running, that's fine; take your time. I started looking at the Latin and Old Norse threads yesterday anyway. Those should keep me occupied for a while. 3nodding [I feel like I'm going to be looking into Old Norse for a while....a long while. emotion_c8 ]

iwant2beelieve

Aged Member

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:10 pm
Cookie_Paradise
Shizuka Mizu

Hey, I remember you.

Yep, I found it. It took me a while, but I found it. emotion_awesome
Hey, it's okay. Whenever you feel like you can get stuff up and running, that's fine; take your time. I started looking at the Latin and Old Norse threads yesterday anyway. Those should keep me occupied for a while. 3nodding [I feel like I'm going to be looking into Old Norse for a while....a long while. emotion_c8 ]

I'd better get to posting, then!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:01 am
*Gaia Name: Lady_Maygumi
*Languages spoken: Filipino, English
*Languages Learning: English and Filipino [ I repeated it cuz I still haven't graduated from high school yet] A bit of Thai and Japanese.
I like learning and reading about Linguistics in my own free time as I am not yet sure If that would truly be my choice of work. When I had saw your forum post the thread are interesting to reply at :3
I also might want to teach other Filipino, If you can make a subforum for Southeast Asian Languages. They're not as popular but. If you're interested I'm willing.  

MrJamesXOXO

Lonely Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:18 am
Lady Maygumi
*Languages Learning: English and Filipino [ I repeated it cuz I still haven't graduated from high school yet] A bit of Thai and Japanese.
I like learning and reading about Linguistics in my own free time as I am not yet sure If that would truly be my choice of work. When I had saw your forum post the thread are interesting to reply at :3
I also might want to teach other Filipino, If you can make a subforum for Southeast Asian Languages. They're not as popular but. If you're interested I'm willing.

Welcome to the guild! I think it would be interesting to have a Southeast Asian Languages subforum. Mizu will have to approve of it first, but I'm in support of the idea. There's a Japanese chat in the Conversation subforum, so feel free to join. I don't think there is a Thai one yet, but you could always create one. I'm sure Mizu speaks Thai (or will soon) since he knows just about every language haha..  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:36 am
emikodo

Welcome to the guild! I think it would be interesting to have a Southeast Asian Languages subforum. Mizu will have to approve of it first, but I'm in support of the idea. There's a Japanese chat in the Conversation subforum, so feel free to join. I don't think there is a Thai one yet, but you could always create one. I'm sure Mizu speaks Thai (or will soon) since he knows just about every language haha..

To tell you honestly I felt discriminated,sad and very confused the 1st time I had glanced over the subforum( well I'm happy that I'll be able to see links and learn from them but I want to atleast have a online teaching experience since Info at the Homepage seems to invite others to teach). At 1st I checked whether you had classified it(the language I propose) over to East Asia but then I didn't found any. then I checked the South but the only thing I saw was Burmese. Which I don't even know DX. Oh about the Thai. I'm not prof. at it. Still learning veeery slow( I'm still on greetings only Hehe) Thank you for noticing. rofl 4laugh  

MrJamesXOXO

Lonely Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:46 am
Lady Maygumi
To tell you honestly I felt discriminated,sad and very confused the 1st time I had glanced over the subforum( well I'm happy that I'll be able to see links and learn from them but I want to atleast have a online teaching experience since Info at the Homepage seems to invite others to teach). At 1st I checked whether you had classified it(the language I propose) over to East Asia but then I didn't found any. then I checked the South but the only thing I saw was Burmese. Which I don't even know DX. Oh about the Thai. I'm not prof. at it. Still learning veeery slow( I'm still on greetings only Hehe) Thank you for noticing. rofl 4laugh

Well the thing is, I don't think we add a new language until we have someone who can teach that language. Since we haven't had anyone who can speak or teach Filipino, the subforum/thread hasn't been created yet. I assure you, there is no discrimination within our guild. ^^  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:38 pm
Lady Maygumi

Aha! I thought there might be a region missing.
For now, go ahead and post your threads in the South Asia subforum; I will probably just change the title to accommodate until I can work in the Southeast Asia subforum.
That said, we're always willing to take any teacher of any language. It's my job to make this guild grow to accommodate for you guys, not for me. So if you want to teach Filipino, then be my guest!

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Sakura Latte

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 pm
Hi...Brightest invited me a while ago, but I put off joining until now. Aaaaanyway...

Gaia Name: Sakura Parfait
*Languages spoken: English
*Languages Learning: Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Italian (beginning next week)

I'd put Vietnamese next to "languages spoken", but I can only understand it now. I've lost the ability to speak it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:03 pm
Sakura Parfait
Hi...Brightest invited me a while ago, but I put off joining until now. Aaaaanyway...

Gaia Name: Sakura Parfait
*Languages spoken: English
*Languages Learning: Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Italian (beginning next week)

I'd put Vietnamese next to "languages spoken", but I can only understand it now. I've lost the ability to speak it.

Welcome, welcome!
I suppose then Vietnamese would qualify as a language you're learning, if you're indeed working to speak it again.
If not, then... I don't suppose it matters all that much. It got an honorable mention anyway. :}

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

frozennight

3,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:03 pm
*Gaia Name: Frozennight
*Languages spoken: English and French
*Languages Learning: I'm learning Intermediate Russian, and Middle Egyptian. Someday I want Russian to be my best foreign language, although since I'm a linguist I like to study tons of languages because I think the different structures are very interesting. Languages I've dabbled in are Azeri, Arabic, Farsi, Brazillian Portuguese, Yagua, Italian, and Latin.

I study linguistics, and this is my second semester of taking specialized classes. I began to be interested in Linguistics when I was in middle school. I was begining to see how morphology worked in foreign languages and that changed the way I looked at English. About a year later I found a textbook on Linguistics in my basement and began reading it. That's when I really fell in love with the field. I continued to study Linguistics and foreign languages on my own throughout high school. Within linguistics There are many things that interest me, I like Phonology and the reconstruction of Proto-languages, as well as morphology, I also am interested in theories of Second Language Acquisition.
Studying in school now is great although I swear my class on Minimalist Syntax is going to be the death of me.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:07 am
*Gaia Name: Ra1neX
*Languages spoken: English and Spanish
*Languages Learning: Japanese  

Ra1neX

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:31 am
frozennight
*Gaia Name: Frozennight
*Languages spoken: English and French
*Languages Learning: I'm learning Intermediate Russian, and Middle Egyptian. Someday I want Russian to be my best foreign language, although since I'm a linguist I like to study tons of languages because I think the different structures are very interesting. Languages I've dabbled in are Azeri, Arabic, Farsi, Brazillian Portuguese, Yagua, Italian, and Latin.

I study linguistics, and this is my second semester of taking specialized classes. I began to be interested in Linguistics when I was in middle school. I was begining to see how morphology worked in foreign languages and that changed the way I looked at English. About a year later I found a textbook on Linguistics in my basement and began reading it. That's when I really fell in love with the field. I continued to study Linguistics and foreign languages on my own throughout high school. Within linguistics There are many things that interest me, I like Phonology and the reconstruction of Proto-languages, as well as morphology, I also am interested in theories of Second Language Acquisition.
Studying in school now is great although I swear my class on Minimalist Syntax is going to be the death of me.

Ooh, a linguistics major.
Perhaps you can baffle us all with your technical jargon. (Which you kind of already did just now.) ;p
Seriously, though, if you have ideas for posts that are purely of a linguistic nature and not so much about teaching or learning a language, please post it. I would be very interested to read it.
With that, I welcome you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:32 am
Ra1neX

Welcome!
Naturally, we have a Japanese learning thread. Someday, when our Japanese teacher comes back from the dead, we'll do more posts.

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Ra1neX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:19 am
Shizuka Mizu
Ra1neX

Welcome!
Naturally, we have a Japanese learning thread. Someday, when our Japanese teacher comes back from the dead, we'll do more posts.

Thank you for the welcome smile That would be great, I'm already in intermediate Japanese in Uni but could do with all the help that I can get.  
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff