Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:25 pm
AccentualWolf
I'm beginnin to knit armwarmers in the round and would like to make a pair of finger less ones with a gasset. I just don't know how to do one. do you know a simple way of making a gasset??

Here's a pattern you can use to help guide you. http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/mikado-gloves.html Scroll down to the part where it says to begin the thumb gusset and that'll help give you an idea of what you need to to do. You'll have to think it through depending on how many stitches you've got and what kind of guage you have, but you should be able to get it. If nothing else, just use this pattern and knit straight through the cables if you'd like.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:29 pm
I watch this show called knitty gritty. On this one episode of it the were doing and talking about project done by double knitting. It is were you knit two pieces of fabric at the same which gives two right sides. Do you know the concept and if you do can you show me a link that could better explane it along with tubular cast on??  

AccentualWolf

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:47 pm
AccentualWolf
I watch this show called knitty gritty. On this one episode of it the were doing and talking about project done by double knitting. It is were you knit two pieces of fabric at the same which gives two right sides. Do you know the concept and if you do can you show me a link that could better explane it along with tubular cast on??

Googling led me to two awesome tubular cast on tutorials
http://autoscopia.com/amelia/archives/2005/11/tubular_cast_on.html
http://yscmama.typepad.com/little_purl/2005/06/tubular_cast_on.html

As for double knitting, here's a great explaination of it including some helpful hints about it. This explains it more succinctly than I could.
http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=142
This has a video if you scroll down to double knitting
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/
This knitty.com pattern also has a pretty good explaination of the concept of double knitting.
http://www.knitty.com/issuefall02/PATTdkhat.html

Hope those links help!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:59 pm
umm... I started knitting in the middle of summer, and i dont know...anything. I started my fourth project, and I wanted to know if there were any tutorials on knittingsomething a little more complicted then scarves and wrist warmers. xp  

drunken goddess

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:06 pm
drunken goddess
umm... I started knitting in the middle of summer, and i dont know...anything. I started my fourth project, and I wanted to know if there were any tutorials on knittingsomething a little more complicted then scarves and wrist warmers. xp

There's tons of tutorials online, but none that I've seena re for knitting a specific object. They're for learning a technique that you'll use while reading a pattern. For example... if you want more complicated, you could start making cables or fair isle. www.knittinghelp.com is a good place to find videos to help you along. If you decide you want to make something specific like a cabled hat, for example, I can help you find a pattern and help you with any questions you might have.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:19 am
When slipping stitches on the selvege ends of a piece, how do you get BOTH sides to look as much like stockinette stitch as possible?  

Maki Minakoaino

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:05 pm
Maki Minakoaino
When slipping stitches on the selvege ends of a piece, how do you get BOTH sides to look as much like stockinette stitch as possible?

Do you mean both of the edges that you've been slip stitching? Slip knitwise (I believe... I always forget... if I'm wrong, it's purlwise) every time you slip the stitch.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:29 pm
Catcheen
Maki Minakoaino

Do you mean both of the edges that you've been slip stitching? Slip knitwise (I believe... I always forget... if I'm wrong, it's purlwise) every time you slip the stitch.

when slipping the first stitch on both ends of a piece  

Maki Minakoaino

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:00 pm
Maki Minakoaino
Catcheen
Maki Minakoaino

when slipping the first stitch on both ends of a piece

Yep, than just slip it consistantly and it'll be as close to stockenette as it'll get.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:55 pm
I posted this on one knitting site, but it's pretty vacant, so I thought I'd post it here.

I found some yarn I had spun up years ago. I was in the 4th grade, and...Its not that great. It goes from really big to really small.
I figured I'd use it to make someone a christmas gift.
It's plain white wool, so I figured I'd dye it all sorts of crazy colours.

I just can't figure out what to knit! I'm not sure how much I have. My mom guesstimated about 150 yards.

Any wonderful patterns you guys are willing to share? I'd really appreciate it. =)  

Rawr 112

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:27 pm
Rawr 112
I posted this on one knitting site, but it's pretty vacant, so I thought I'd post it here.

I found some yarn I had spun up years ago. I was in the 4th grade, and...Its not that great. It goes from really big to really small.

I just can't figure out what to knit! I'm not sure how much I have. My mom guesstimated about 150 yards.

Any wonderful patterns you guys are willing to share? I'd really appreciate it. =)

Depending on the thickness of the yarn, you might considder doing a hat. Does the yarn start thick and end thin or does it fluctuate between thick and thin? If it starts thick and ends thin, you could start at the brim of the hat and work towards the crown and just change needle sizes rather than make any decreases. My other idea would be a scarf. I think it'd be kinda neat to see a scarf knit thick on one end and airy and lacey on the other.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:38 pm
Catcheen
Rawr 112

Depending on the thickness of the yarn, you might considder doing a hat. Does the yarn start thick and end thin or does it fluctuate between thick and thin? If it starts thick and ends thin, you could start at the brim of the hat and work towards the crown and just change needle sizes rather than make any decreases. My other idea would be a scarf. I think it'd be kinda neat to see a scarf knit thick on one end and airy and lacey on the other.

It fluctuates.
I was thinking either a scarf or a hat..
All the patterns in the books I have for hats though are around 200+ yards. sweatdrop  

Rawr 112

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:11 pm
Rawr 112
Catcheen
Rawr 112

It fluctuates.
I was thinking either a scarf or a hat..
All the patterns in the books I have for hats though are around 200+ yards. sweatdrop

Here's a list of about a billion free patterns. If you look at the hats, you can probably find something that fits depending on your guage.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:47 pm
I've been crocheting a couple of years, and knitting for about one year. I've made three "diagonal" afghans, one knitted and two crocheted, and all three had the same problem: two corners aren't right angles.

I'm stumped. My gauge on all three projects was perfect. I counted every increase and decrease correctly. It happened not just in crochet, but in knit as well. And yet in each one, two corners were right angles, and two corners (diagonally opposing each other, like top left and bottom right) were not. (They were "obtuse" angles, larger than right angles.)

My afghans that are normal, row-by-row squares and rectangles turn out fine (sort of. One knit one had a losse bottom edge no matter how many times I redid it.)

Any idea how this happened? Any way to fx it in the future? Or should I just stay away from diagonals?  

Keiyla

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:26 pm
Keiyla
I've been crocheting a couple of years, and knitting for about one year. I've made three "diagonal" afghans, one knitted and two crocheted, and all three had the same problem: two corners aren't right angles.

I'm stumped. My gauge on all three projects was perfect. I counted every increase and decrease correctly. It happened not just in crochet, but in knit as well. And yet in each one, two corners were right angles, and two corners (diagonally opposing each other, like top left and bottom right) were not. (They were "obtuse" angles, larger than right angles.)

My afghans that are normal, row-by-row squares and rectangles turn out fine (sort of. One knit one had a losse bottom edge no matter how many times I redid it.)

Any idea how this happened? Any way to fx it in the future? Or should I just stay away from diagonals?

I hate to tell ya.... but that happens. It's also happened to all diagonal things I've made too. *sigh* If anyone else has any ideas on how to help this problem, I'd like to hear about them too.

If you're making something out of a natural fiber (ie: NOT acrylic) then you can always block the item and that fixes any tilt I've made on dishclothes or scarves. But afghans? Since most are made of acrylic, that option won't work. I'm sorry I couldn't help in this problem. *frown*  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff