Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Recent Translated Manga Discussion - For those who have read the newest translations!
330 Discussion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mofoslotmachine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:58 am
Shikalee
mofoslotmachine
Shikalee
He's rather introverted. I don't know why everyone showers him with such praise for things he hasn't done. He was a loner until he met Chouji. He's made more friends but he still isn't all that social. Tsunade is his superior, his boss. So that relationship is different.

Not in the way obsessive girls like you want him to be loving, compassionate, romantic, with huge pulses of emotion booming through him. He just plain doesn't feel that way. And protecting Lee doesn't make him any more, how do you say, "writhing with intense emotion."

Shikamaru cried for his friends. Yes. He loves his friends. But he isn't a ball of emotion like Naruto, either. I think anyone would have cried with joy, sadness, and colliding emotions in his position. Hell, I've been in situations somewhat similar, and I didn't cry (because no one was dying), but I felt quite emotional. I'm not saying because I do everyone does, but what Shikamaru went through was rather intense. He does have some compassion. Did I say none? Sorry, that was wrong.

What I'm irritated with is that girls (and some guys too, I guess) make him this emotional... I don't know. Violently emotional romantic man. But he isn't. That's his point. He isn't, but can still be very charming (in my opinion).

I agree. No one has absolute proof, I guess (though I consider the Japanese the hardest proof of all; too bad no one can completely read it).

What I'm irritated with is that girls (and some guys too, I guess) make him this emotional... I don't know. Violently emotional romantic man. But he isn't. That's his point. He isn't, but can still be very charming (in my opinion).

I agree. No one has absolute proof, I guess (though I consider the Japanese the hardest proof of all; too bad no one can completely read it).

I realise that he's introverted, and I actually didn't say that he wasn't. But introverted and socially awkward aren't the same thing, and there's no proof that Shikamaru is socially awkward. There IS proof to the contrary, however.

...Obsessive girls like me?! When did I even say I liked Shikamaru? sweatdrop I never said he's romantic. I never said he's bursting with emotion. Would you stop putting words in my mouth, please?

Well, my main point there was that most of the "rescue Sasuke" team weren't really close friends to him. So for him to be crying with guilt because of their injuries signifies that he is at least compassionate to the suffering of others. That was my only point.

Okay, well how about this: What I'm irritated with is that girls (and some guys too, I guess) make him this unemotional... I don't know. Cold, clinical, unemotional robot. But he isn't. That's his point. He isn't, but can still be very intelligent and laidback (in my opinion).
Did I say awkward? That was a bad word. For what I was expressing. He just isn't booming with enthusiasm like everyone else. This makes him the guy sitting next to the empty chair at a dance while everyone else is partying (That's a bad example; he would probably never be caught dead at one). Not because he can't get a girl, but because he isn't that sort of person. And I'm curious what proof you have that makes him so social.

Define compassion. No, really. Compassion is rather emotional, is it not? It also indicates love. People find this romantic. People shower him with praise; quite fallaciously. They complement the wrong things about him. Practically everything except what is true. I never see anyone impressed with his intelligence. Interests. Ambitions.

They bonded through that mission. Shikamaru is friendly with both Naruto and Chouji. Kiba used to actually hate Shikamaru and Neji was very introverted basically until that mission.

What? Did you do that on purpose? >_> And why'd you change it to "laid back"?

No, I agree with you. I never said he's social, and I agree that he actually seems quite introverted -- he tends to keep himself to himself, after all. My only point was that he's never shown any problems relating to other people. He CAN relate to others, quite easily in fact, he just doesn't seem to have much desire to.

I'm using compassion in the way that it's usually used: somebody who's compassionate can identify with the feelings of others. That's the definition. It has nothing to do with romance or romantic love, so I don't know where you're getting that. For example, I can feel compassion for a wounded animal and not want to have it hump my leg. Compassion and romance CAN be linked, but most of the time they aren't or I'd probably be out proposing to the nearest homeless person.

You never see anyone impressed with his intelligence? Then you obviously haven't seen many Shikamaru fangirls/boys. rofl

Yes, I did it on purpose.

The point
<-----
Your head

neutral  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:03 am
Captain Verd
Just met one? You mean Mofoslotmachine? Because she just said she didn't like Shikamaru, so I don't know what you mean.

I think Shikamaru's a pain in the a**, but apparently I'm an obsessive fangirl who likes to make him into some passionate Romeo because I said he has compassion for other living things.

No, I don't see the logic either.  

mofoslotmachine

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:48 am
Captain Verd
Just met one? You mean Mofoslotmachine? Because she just said she didn't like Shikamaru, so I don't know what you mean.
No. You said all Shikamaru fans marvel him because he's a "Genius Slacker."

You said you've never did. I said, you just did. Because that's not why I like him.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:53 am
mofoslotmachine
No, I agree with you. I never said he's social, and I agree that he actually seems quite introverted -- he tends to keep himself to himself, after all. My only point was that he's never shown any problems relating to other people. He CAN relate to others, quite easily in fact, he just doesn't seem to have much desire to.

I'm using compassion in the way that it's usually used: somebody who's compassionate can identify with the feelings of others. That's the definition. It has nothing to do with romance or romantic love, so I don't know where you're getting that. For example, I can feel compassion for a wounded animal and not want to have it hump my leg. Compassion and romance CAN be linked, but most of the time they aren't or I'd probably be out proposing to the nearest homeless person.

You never see anyone impressed with his intelligence? Then you obviously haven't seen many Shikamaru fangirls/boys. rofl

The point
<-----
Your head

neutral
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said he couldn't relate to people, however, pretty much now he can't since the one person who ever really understood him is dead. sweatdrop

Again, putting words in my mouth. Even if I said never, I have corrected myself sense then. I realize he does have compassion. And it wasn't because of you; I always knew that. I just communicated incorrectly in this thread. Sue me. I'm not the one getting all upset because Shikamaru's ego might be touched.

They never mention it in a proper manner. Not to say it's improper, but the way MOST fangirls/boys address him shows they don't know much about him. "I like him because he's smart and lazy like me," they usually say. But there's much more to him than that. Far more. Never have I seen anyone critique his intelligence on a level that you an I and Verd critique his emotions.

Don't be an a**.  

Syndactyly

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:54 am
Why the ******** does it say you're both batman? Don't tell me you asked her to come here, Verd. gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Shikalee
mofoslotmachine

The point
<-----
Your head

neutral
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said he couldn't relate to people, however, pretty much now he can't since the one person who ever really understood him is dead. sweatdrop

Again, putting words in my mouth. Even if I said never, I have corrected myself sense then. I realize he does have compassion. And it wasn't because of you; I always knew that. I just communicated incorrectly in this thread. Sue me. I'm not the one getting all upset because Shikamaru's ego might be touched.

They never mention it in a proper manner. Not to say it's improper, but the way MOST fangirls/boys address him shows they don't know much about him. "I like him because he's smart and lazy like me," they usually say. But there's much more to him than that. Far more. Never have I seen anyone critique his intelligence on a level that you an I and Verd critique his emotions.

Don't be an a**.

Then it seems we don't have much of a debate since we now seem to be pretty much agreed. lol

As a note, though: I'm not "getting all upset", so don't assume I am. Like I've said numerous times... I'm not a Shikamaru fan. So if someone criticises him, it doesn't bother me. I criticise him all the time, and I'd have to be a real masochist to do so if it upset me. I just happen to find the Naruto characters interesting and have been trying to gain some basic knowledge of psychology recently (I have an interest in writing; character construction is something I enjoy learning about), so analysing and discussing characters is interesting to me. I don't get emotionally involved in crap like this though, since this is only fandom and I don't see the point.

Also, Captain Verd didn't ask me to come here, another friend of mine did so she could trade things with me. cool "I'm the goddamn Batman" is a relatively e-famous quote.  

mofoslotmachine

Captain Verd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:11 pm
b***h, you stole my name.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:14 pm
But you know what? You're a hookerbutt.  

mofoslotmachine

Recent Translated Manga Discussion - For those who have read the newest translations!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games