Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
The Imperial War Room Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 88 89 90 91 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AFK Masturbating

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:43 pm
We shall see.

In the meantime, my warning stands for any would be offenders. And word has it that Thrawn has a groovy hankering for Taco Bell.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:03 pm
I'm kinda proud to announce that I've commenced work on a secondary tutorial that's meant to augment the Carida Academy and help teach you maggots how to command forces in the future!

It's called Corulag Academy - Command School.

Hopefully Nelowulf will assist me because as I've begun working on it I've come to realize just how much needs to be done.  

stellarmagic

Ral Roke

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:06 pm
Somehow I've got a feeling that I will be one of the few that actually read it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:10 pm
stellarmagic
I'm kinda proud to announce that I've commenced work on a secondary tutorial that's meant to augment the Carida Academy and help teach you maggots how to command forces in the future!

It's called Corulag Academy - Command School.

Hopefully Nelowulf will assist me because as I've begun working on it I've come to realize just how much needs to be done.

Depends on what you deem "assistance".  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:16 pm
I understand. I'm working on Terminology right now... Talk about everything from CO to OOB and platoon, company, infantry. It's allot.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:46 pm
Here's what I got for Terminology so far... I know there will be more, I'll probably throw in everything I can think off and then pear it down to the bare essentials.

Quote:
Part I. Terminology of Command

So you’ve decided to become a person that controls a lot of NPCs, an Officer, how about an SF, or a CO, an XO, or maybe even an NCO. Now you might be going, I’m not familiar with all these terms… Don’t worry, I’m about to explain them.

There are a number of different terms and acronyms that are linked with command, for ease I’ll divide them into a couple simple categories.

Basics: Here are the general terms that are tossed around in military circles.

Infantry: Also known as leg-infantry, infantry basically are a formation of armed men, I should also mention that an infantry formation often times includes unarmored vehicles and crew service weapons. Large infantry formations may include armor and artillery attachments as well.

Motorized Infantry: Infantry that are assigned trucks for rapid transport.

Mechanized Infantry: Infantry that are carried into battle inside APCs or IFVs.

Armor: A formation of armored vehicles, larger formations will include attachments of artillery and infantry formations. A Panzer division wasn’t composed entirely of tanks after all.

Artillery: The big guns of a ground battle, artillery are almost always attached to larger formations.

Armored Vehicles: These are vehicles that are meant for combat, they can not be destroyed by small arms fire. Examples in star wars would be the T Series of Tanks, AT-ATs, 1-M tanks and the like.

Unarmored Vehicles: These are vehicles that are meant either for scouting or supply, they can be destroyed relatively easily by concentrated small arms fire. Examples of these units include repulsor trucks, AT-STs and speeder bikes.

Small Arms: If you can hold it in your hand it’s a small arm, rifles, pistols, grenades, they’re all these things.

IFV – Infantry Fighting Vehicle: An Armored Vehicle that can carry infantry into battle and has ports to enable the infantry to fire their personal weapons while inside.

APC – Armored Personnel Carrier: Identical to an IFV but doesn’t have the ports to let the infantrymen fight from inside the vehicle.

MBT – Main Battle Tank: Typically a swift, heavily armored vehicle that does not carry any infantry and is meant for attacking hard targets.

Commandos: Small specially trained formations meant for sneak attacks, they’re synonymous with Special Forces.

Soft Targets: Men, trucks, artillery, most lightly armored and unarmored vehicles.

Hard Targets: Armored vehicles like tanks and emplaced structures like bunkers, pillboxes, mobile artillery and hardened artillery.

Unit: A team or formation that is either composed of smaller teams and formations or individual men or vehicles.

Suppressing Fire: A unit is attacking a unit by firing in the general area of the unit attempting to force the unit to seek cover and keep it from returning fire.

Suppressed: A unit is under fire and is attempting find cover from which to return fire.

Pinned: A unit is no longer able to return fire or move for fear of taking damage.

Routed: A unit has lost all cohesion and is fleeing the battlefield in panic.

stellarmagic

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:00 pm
I've got the second installment of the Command School pretty much done. I anticipate the Terminology part to inflate as I keep writting.

Quote:
Part II. Getting Started

Maxim – “A general should say to himself many times a day: If the hostile army were to make its appearance in front, on my right, or on my left, what should I do? And if he is embarrassed, his arrangements are bad; there is something wrong; he must rectify his mistake.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

Welcome to the complex and dangerous world of the field commander. If you’re looking for broad strategy and designs more apt for the political realm turn away now, this school is not for you. This school is for the officer, the professional soldier that must execute those broad sweeping plans.

Whether you have a wonderful character that’s either just stepped upon the galactic stage or you’re giving a character you’ve already wielded a commission the same thing arises, I’m an officer now… what do I do?

If you jump right in with a battlegroup and start trying to make yourself into the next Grand Admiral Thrawn the results will not be pretty, because you can be certain an RPer who has much more experience in command will waltz on in and wipe the deck with you.

Start small, just like every officer you have to start at the bottom of the barrel and prove to others that you can handle a command.

No matter what place you begin you’ll be assigned a force to command, honestly as I just said its best to start out small. A single starship if you’re on the Fleet Command track is a good place to start, or maybe even a starfighter squadron if you’re into Starfighter Combat. If you’re on the ground command track it’s a little more difficult, the easiest place to start is as a squad leader as an NCO, but lets face it being a nobody NCO is boring, as is being almost any commander in the infantry, so the best place to start would be to play as a team leader in whatever the faction’s version of the commandos is.

Another good idea is to place yourself under the command of another more experienced RPer to begin with, but this can become tedious if you aren’t given a chance to operate independently from time to time.

Additionally you’ll want your first posts to establish the character of both the commander which you’re playing as well as the command which you’ve been given. Is your character a grandstander or “Prima Donna”, is he a disciplinarian that always gets assigned to units that need to be cleaned up? Is he a father figure for the troops? These things should shape your early posts to be sure, but don’t over do it. Like with most RPs the best choice is moderation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:15 pm
So now that we have slang for the GLF, what is some other useful slang we can conjure up?
hmm....is it still cool to call stormies "White hats"? or is that too GCW eraish?  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:18 pm
I'm not good with slang.

Plus, the GLf is easy because you have the acronym. What would you call a loyalist imperial? A Lee?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:42 pm
Cale
So now that we have slang for the GLF, what is some other useful slang we can conjure up?
hmm....is it still cool to call stormies "White hats"? or is that too GCW eraish?

I doubt that will have changed, I mean think how long British Infantry were known as "lobsters".  

stellarmagic

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:33 pm
Okay... EK, what the hell are you thinking?

You've got two ships of the line, the Revenge II-class Star Cruisers, and once again you're forming an inflated top heavy force. A navy far larger then someone who is trying to hide should wield.

You need light starships, frigates and corvettes, if you want to wage a guerilla campaign. You don't need cruisers and other heavies, which are what you've apparently decided to go for.

Cruisers, Battlecruisers, Dreadnaughts, and even the Destroyers to a lessor degree in Star Wars are used to project power in a sector. They're ships for the set piece battle, not guerilla warfare. You don't have the resources to go for a set piece battle or a fleet designed for the set piece battle, so stop building one.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:31 pm
stare bribe the huts on our side  

Dark Lord Zeo

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:25 am
Holy Oagi! Its a Narato-clone! Quick! Someone find Hanzo Hattori! Only his awesome Ninja skills can defeat thi- oh wait, scratch that. I found my gun.
*Blast!*
There. Problem solved.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:41 pm
Funny. Uber ninja skills and all kinds of power, and we're flying around in a TIE P.O.S.  

ElladanKenet
Crew

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:45 pm
ElladanKenet
Funny. Uber ninja skills and all kinds of power, and we're flying around in a TIE P.O.S.

Uber ninja skills are no match for a good Tie Fighter.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 88 89 90 91 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games