Welcome to Gaia! ::

Absolute Furry the Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's Oldest Furry Guild 

Tags: Furry, Furries, Anthro, Anthropomorphic, Roleplay 

Reply Adult Furries Guild
AFG Sallies Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 734 735 736 737 738 739 ... 1043 1044 1045 1046 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shaviv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Uh, isn't VTEC a Honda engine control system? Valve Timing Engine Control, I think.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Virginia Tech.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Shaviv
Uh, isn't VTEC a Honda engine control system? Valve Timing Engine Control, I think.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Virginia Tech.

Oh XD Well, that makes a whole hell of a lot more sense

Still, I don't get it

Af Mas

FogSage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Af Mas
Any skill or discipline can be turned profitable if you know how to do it and *gasp* are good at it. If you have a knack for something, well, take advantage of that and get better at it. Turn it into a passion and get good at it, make it something you'd WANT to do for a living. Don't just buckle down and try to convince yourself to do something you don't like because it could pay more. That's not what life is about.

Even history majors get jobs, even if it's only teaching, and I still think that teaching is one of the hardest jobs out there.

And Fog, you're in college. I think that would be enough for you to figure out that you can get help if you need it. Ask the prof. Ask a TA if there are any. Ask anyone else in the class for help. Do something to help you remember. Don't just sit there and pity yourself because you forgot what your notes mean, because that's not helping you understand it

I'm going to tutoring as often as I can, but I don't see it making any improvement. The tutor herself is very nice, but I've always had problems asking for help. I mean, I'll do it, but it's hard to do when she's busy working with someone, and all the other students are.....well, pigs for her attention. >>; I lack the self-confidence needed to be assertive and pushy.

I should do what I don't like more than what I do like. If I stop doing what I like and start doing the opposite, then I'm bound to have some improvement in the areas I don't like, right? I know it sounds convoluted, but this line of reasoning seems....reasonable. >>
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:39 pm

FogSage
Af Mas
Any skill or discipline can be turned profitable if you know how to do it and *gasp* are good at it. If you have a knack for something, well, take advantage of that and get better at it. Turn it into a passion and get good at it, make it something you'd WANT to do for a living. Don't just buckle down and try to convince yourself to do something you don't like because it could pay more. That's not what life is about.

Even history majors get jobs, even if it's only teaching, and I still think that teaching is one of the hardest jobs out there.

And Fog, you're in college. I think that would be enough for you to figure out that you can get help if you need it. Ask the prof. Ask a TA if there are any. Ask anyone else in the class for help. Do something to help you remember. Don't just sit there and pity yourself because you forgot what your notes mean, because that's not helping you understand it

I'm going to tutoring as often as I can, but I don't see it making any improvement. The tutor herself is very nice, but I've always had problems asking for help. I mean, I'll do it, but it's hard to do when she's busy working with someone, and all the other students are.....well, pigs for her attention. >>; I lack the self-confidence needed to be assertive and pushy.

I should do what I don't like more than what I do like. If I stop doing what I like and start doing the opposite, then I'm bound to have some improvement in the areas I don't like, right? I know it sounds convoluted, but this line of reasoning seems....reasonable. >>

Well, in theory doing anything a lot means you'll get better at it. But doing something you don't like doesn't many a lot of sense. Why do it if you don't like it =/ That's not what college is about (though that's what ends up happening). Really, if you like doing something, stick with it. It'll be more rewarding in the end, intrinsically if not extrisnically

Af Mas

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:06 pm

Fog, trying to take more of a class you suck at most likely will not help you. I stopped understanding math after addition and subtraction. I don't know my multiplication tables, I can't long divide. I'm calculator dependent. Yet, I've taken many, many math classes between elementary school and now, and I still struggle with it. I still pass though...sometimes just barely, but a passing grade is all that matters.
Furthermore, giving up on something you like just because it doesn't seem as financially rewarding is really stupid. You'd rather struggle in a career you don't fully understand, and be miserable 'cause you don't even enjoy it instead of doing something you like? Okay, have fun with that.

Also, you may want to refrain from saying things like "The only things I'm good at are the things of no importance; arts, photography, flashy vain stuff which any halfway intelligent monkey can do" since you just implied that the artists here could be replaced with monkeys. stare Not to mention that photography is more an art form than you give credit. It takes a lot to get great shot; angle, lighting, the subject pose, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:28 pm

shoki_de_nai
Fog, trying to take more of a class you suck at most likely will not help you. I stopped understanding math after addition and subtraction. I don't know my multiplication tables, I can't long divide. I'm calculator dependent. Yet, I've taken many, many math classes between elementary school and now, and I still struggle with it. I still pass though...sometimes just barely, but a passing grade is all that matters.
Furthermore, giving up on something you like just because it doesn't seem as financially rewarding is really stupid. You'd rather struggle in a career you don't fully understand, and be miserable 'cause you don't even enjoy it instead of doing something you like? Okay, have fun with that.

Also, you may want to refrain from saying things like "The only things I'm good at are the things of no importance; arts, photography, flashy vain stuff which any halfway intelligent monkey can do" since you just implied that the artists here could be replaced with monkeys. stare Not to mention that photography is more an art form than you give credit. It takes a lot to get great shot; angle, lighting, the subject pose, etc.

Any idiot can do art. I'm sorry to say it, but it's true.
Step 1: create 'art' (This in itself is not all that difficult. You could glue two popsicle sticks together and call it art)
Step 2: attach a mystifying title and a explanation of the piece which nobody understands.
Step 3: have critics go at it.

And voila, you have art. I don't mean to insult you, but art is pretty much anything that the eye can perceive which is aesthetically pleasing. My desk lamp could be art. This wad of tissue could be art. Thus, my statement about monkey's being on the same level as the artists in this guild is not without merit.

FogSage

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:38 pm

It is true that anyone can create art, but not everyone can a great artist. The twist on that is that art is in the eye of the beholder, frequently I am presented with pieces created by so called professionals that I find to be completely horrid. At the same time I often find pieces created by what some might call "armatures" that I find very moving.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:39 pm

If nothing about your art reaches out and grabs people by the neurons, they're not going to be interested.

What was that one piece, "Merda d'Artista"? The reason people wanted to buy s**t packaged in aluminum cans and then dipped in lucite was that it was shocking and new.

Same reason why "Fountain" (a urinal on its side) and "Piss Christ" (a rosary and crucifix in a toilet full of urine) were considered interesting, if also exercises in poor taste.

The reason I like some of Picasso's work is because it makes me look twice at it and offers room to think about it and digest it. "Guernica", for example. It looks almost like the mere act of rendering such a horror also warped the artist's perception of space - so maybe the reason it looks so odd is not just that it was a chronic absinthe drinker painting it, but also that the event being depicted is so awful that it could warp space. I don't know if this kind of thing grabs you, of course.

The reason I like Van Gogh is because there's a certain simplicity, and childlike wonder, in his paintings of rooms and skies and people.

The reason I like Manet and Monet are that I like their subjects and composition.

The reason I like DarkNatasha, well, I like her subjects and composition. The reason I don't like, say, Goldenwolf, I don't like her subjects and composition even though she obviously works hard on it.

Anything can be art.

To be art worth selling, you have to get people interested, and if it flops, you're SOL.

On a related note, this sign gave me the lulz:
"Be careful with fire in the woods!"
http://img.lulz.net/src/baadb6e46_o.jpg

Shaviv

Af Mas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:49 pm

What Shaviv said. Something is only art if you can really justify a meaning to it, and it really helps if you can catch a person's eye. I think it's a load of bull to say "I can just do this random thing that takes two seconds and call it art". No, you can't do that, I'm sorry
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:52 pm

Af Mas
What Shaviv said. Something is only art if you can really justify a meaning to it, and it really helps if you can catch a person's eye. I think it's a load of bull to say "I can just do this random thing that takes two seconds and call it art". No, you can't do that, I'm sorry

But you can. At least, I know of people who have done that. *smirks*

So long as it fits requirements and you're a good liar, anything can be art.

FogSage

Shaviv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:55 pm

You can always convince /someone/, but the question is, can you support yourself like that?

I have a feeling that, as much hard work is involved in doing artwork in a professional manner, if you try to support yourself by jumbling things up, it'd be much less of a stable income.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:59 pm

FogSage
Af Mas

But you can. At least, I know of people who have done that. *smirks*

So long as it fits requirements and you're a good liar, anything can be art.

Wow, Fog. Way to take away the credibility of a good number of people in the guild, on FA, and even more outside of those. I really find it insulting that you think that someone can put a 2 second jumble of crap together and call it art. Art IS a subjective term, but there can be an objective standard to be compared to, and 99% of people will call the 2-second jumble of crap just that, crap.

Try that in an art class and tell me if you pass neutral

Af Mas

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Shaviv
You can always convince /someone/, but the question is, can you support yourself like that?

I have a feeling that, as much hard work is involved in doing artwork in a professional manner, if you try to support yourself by jumbling things up, it'd be much less of a stable income.

Where do you think the term "starving artist" comes from? xd Many, many, people that try to make it as professional artist struggle their entire lives. The only real way to ensure a stable paycheck is to sell out and do some work for a company. Then, of course, you are no longer creating your own original works, but rather making things as you are instructed.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:02 pm

FogSage
shoki_de_nai

Any idiot can do art. I'm sorry to say it, but it's true.
Step 1: create 'art' (This in itself is not all that difficult. You could glue two popsicle sticks together and call it art)
Step 2: attach a mystifying title and a explanation of the piece which nobody understands.
Step 3: have critics go at it.

And voila, you have art. I don't mean to insult you, but art is pretty much anything that the eye can perceive which is aesthetically pleasing. My desk lamp could be art. This wad of tissue could be art. Thus, my statement about monkey's being on the same level as the artists in this guild is not without merit.

Yes, anyone can make art. That's part of what makes it so interesting, because there's so many ideas and views that can be found in art. There's a lot that actually goes into art. Maybe these "explanations no nobody understands" just go over your head, because lots of people can appreciate the meanings behind art. Artists usually have a purpose, put some form of effort into what they did. There's artists who's work I actually don't find "aesthetically pleasing" yet I can appreciate the message they're trying to send.
Though, for someone with such a negative view on what makes art, you sure ask for a lot of commissions. You lack respect for artists Fog, you really do. I ended up blocking you because half of the IMs you sent were gibberish garbage for no reason, and the other half was "Hey, you should draw [insert some idea]" in attempts to get free art and the ideas were often repeated even after I said no. You also complain when an artist actually wants money for payment in return for their services. So, I guess that's because art is so easy and anyone could do it so no one deserves real money for it?

Wise not to insult those who make products you 'consume.'

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Shaviv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Diana Vulpes
Shaviv

Where do you think the term "starving artist" comes from? xd Many, many, people that try to make it as professional artist struggle their entire lives. The only real way to ensure a stable paycheck is to sell out and do some work for a company. Then, of course, you are no longer creating your own original works, but rather making things as you are instructed.

I figured you'd be even starvinger if your art was, you know, in the same class as Merda d'Artista.

Some very interesting art I've seen has been improvised from junk, but it wasn't just slapped together (or shat into a can), it was composed and then crafted.
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 734 735 736 737 738 739 ... 1043 1044 1045 1046 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games