Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Outer Rim
OGG Publisher's Office: Now handling requests and complaints Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does this belong in the Outer Rim?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Darth Fury

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:30 am
Cale Darksun
Maneuverability is too high for a ship this size.
An Aurek is so fast and nimble because it is only 9.2 meters long and its wings can fold to maneuver.
This ship is a solid machine, too mass heavy to pull off the maneuverability you think it warrants.

Thrust vectoring?

I could make it smaller...look I've been through all of this with Nelo a thousand times over. Didn't really think I'd have to do it again...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:32 am
Then you don't know Cale very well.  

Ral Roke

Dangerous Hunter

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:35 am
Darth Fury
Cale Darksun
An Aurek is so fast and nimble because it is only 9.2 meters long and its wings can fold to maneuver.
This ship is a solid machine, too mass heavy to pull off the maneuverability you think it warrants.

Thrust vectoring?

I could make it smaller...look I've been through all of this with Nelo a thousand times over. Didn't really think I'd have to do it again...

Its an issue of mass.
Its harder to slow down and speed up an object of larger mass than one of smaller mass.
All I'm asking is that you reduce the Maneuverability to good. Thats it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 pm
Cale Darksun
Darth Fury
Cale Darksun

Thrust vectoring?

Its an issue of mass.
Its harder to slow down and speed up an object of larger mass than one of smaller mass.
All I'm asking is that you reduce the Maneuverability to good. Thats it.

Wouldn't you just need bigger and/or better engines/brakes? To get a larger object to move faster you typically need either a bigger engine or a more efficient one.

If I drop down the manueverability by a point, than can I up the shielding or speed by a point?

Edit: Just read up on thrust vectoring, by the way. Pretty cool...

Darth Fury

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:20 pm
Its still more mass. More thrusters wont change that. It will add to it.
You can raise the shields up a point.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:34 pm
Darth Fury
Third try...

Entry No: 1988
Subject: Gryphon multi-role starfighter
Capsule:

User Image

The Gryphon is a Lyran starfighter design based off of atmospheric fighters, fighter-bombers, and short-range starfighters used in the civil wars that plagued the Lyran system for centuries, some say millenia, before the arrival of Marr Silvertongue. The starfighter incorporates many of the design elements of the republic's Aurek starfighters, and was perfected in the decade of peace preceding the current day. The final result is a multi-role starfighter that is slightly less manueverable than modern Aureks but a little more durable.

Speed: Fast (7)
Manueverability: Good (7)
Shielding: Good (6)
Armor: Moderate (5)
Hyperdrive: Yes (Class 2)
Life Support Systems: Yes
Length: 13 meters
Armament: Heavy Laser Cannons (2), Proton Torpedo Launchers (2, under each wing, 6 torpedoes total)

The best Gryphon pilots currently serve in Lady Marie Celeste's mysterious "Razgriz" squadron.
Further details on this squadron will be forthcoming...

Darth Fury

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 pm
You may post in the OGG.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:58 am
I should have paid more attention to this thread. When I made the design tweaks I put the following hardpoints on the boat.

2 Forward firing Proton Torpedo Racks each with 3 missiles (They are where the buzzard collectors would be) which can volley fire all their missiles at once because each missile has its own tube.

32 Flare and chaff dispensers along the nacelle flanks (16 on each side). They're barely visible but are there, recessed along the where the plasma would have been on a trek ship.

The torpedo racks and countermeasures are contained in pods (What were warp nacelles) which may be ejected in an emergency, and only then does the fighter achieve the higher levels of maneuverability.

So tactically what you do is lance in toward a capital ship, launching countermeasures as you go. Volley the torpedoes, dump the pods, and then engage the enemy fighter screen.

EDIT: I'm working on some assault frigate type ships for FRICK Inc. They'll be fast boats which use their sloping hull design to increase their armour effectiveness without sacrificing speed. They'll also be armed with six capital ship sized ACP cannons and four torpedo tubes.

Oh, and Darth Fury should remind me to be sure to include a squadron of Yellows in my forces. Fans of Razgriz should remember the most dangerous squadron from all of the Ace Combat games. Yellow 13 is coming.  

stellarmagic

Darth Fury

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:16 pm
stellarmagic
Oh, and Darth Fury should remind me to be sure to include a squadron of Yellows in my forces. Fans of Razgriz should remember the most dangerous squadron from all of the Ace Combat games. Yellow 13 is coming.

The Yellows? Here?

Oh well, Mobius 1 still managed to take down the lot of em'...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:40 pm
Yes, the only enemy ace squadron to last an entire game in the Ace Combat Series. The Yellows are going to show. Plus my interpretation of Yellow 13 indicates that well... he is an ace from another game, the cold demeanor and hardened views of a veteran scream Belkan War Veteran, and there are only a couple Belkan War vets that were good enough to be 13.

I believe Yellow 13 is the man once known as Demon Lord. I personally think Razgriz and Wardog squadrons to be the weakest Player Squadron of the whole series. lol.  

stellarmagic

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm
Okay... here's the article I was working on. Yell if you think I missed something.

Quote:
Entry: 2009424
Subject: Starship Weapons besides Lasers
Capsule:

Projectile Weapons - Kinetic Energy Weaponry
Centrifugal Mass-drivers - Nicknamed by some the tumble dryer of doom, a centrifugal mass-driver lobs large projectiles such as proton bombs and asteroids at distant targets. Due to its large size and terrible tracking capabilities they are mostly used as siege platforms to destroy facilities and planetary defenses.

Magnetic Acceleration Mass-drivers - Similar in concept as a centrifugal mass-driver, a magnetic acceleration mass-driver fires asteroids or large warheads such as proton bombs by accelerating them along a magnetic rail often times several kilometers in length. As such they are usually deployed on moons around a world that is under siege, however some really large capital ships can carry such weapons.

Railguns - Much like a magnetic acceleration mass-driver in concept, a rail gun fires a projectile along an electromagnetic rail, however they are much smaller and fire a much smaller bolt of solid metal or antimatter container, as such they can easily fit on most starships, but tend to have slow tracking making them ineffective at close range. However their extreme long range capabilities from the hypersonic bolts is superior to most turbolasers.

Coilguns - The long rail of a railgun is the primary reason for its long range, and low tracking rate. In an attempt to make railguns useful in the intermediate ranges most combat occurs at the design was modified. Instead of a rail, the bolts are shot through a barrel with a coil of electromagnets wrapped around the barrel.

Gauss Blasters - Weapons designers took the coil gun one step further, by shortening the barrel and superheating the bolt they created gauss blasters. Similar in function to a wookiee cross-bow, a gauss blaster fires a superheated bolt of metal or an ionized antimatter canister resulting in a dramatically higher damage output then with just an everyday railgun or coilgun. However the bolt tends to cool and deform at intermediate ranges limiting the weapon's usefulness to shorter range.

Chemically Accelerated Projectile Cannon - A gun pure and simple. Basically an old fashioned slugthrower built big enough to deliver a round damaging to a starship. Often times they fire explosive rounds resulting flak bursts. The flak variant would continue to be used even into the galactic civil war for point defense.

Magnetically Accelerated Projectile Cannon - A magnetic coilgun modified to fire a more traditional slugthrower shell like a flak shell or heat round. Like the chemically accelerated projectile cannon, it would see service into the galactic civil war for point defense and artillery fire.

Accelerated Charged Particle Weapons - Preferred primarily by Trandoshan slavers, Accelerated Charged Particle weapons are a hybrid of chemical acceleration, blaster ionization, and superheated ammunition. Starship scale versions either consist of multi-barreled auto-cannons or long range artillery weapons. While slightly less powerful than their turbolaser rivals, these weapons are highly adaptable and capable of using a wide variety of ammo that can be designed to have unique impact properties.

Energy Weapons - Particle Beam Weapons
Pulsed Particle Stream - A blast of ionized and superheated hydrogen propelled along a magnetically constrained path. This weapon lacks range but does tremendous thermal damage upon impact, but has rather poor tracking compared to a traditional laser cannon.

Positron Beam Weapon - Positrons, or anti-electrons as they are sometimes called are fired through a particle accelerator and impact targets, annihilating the electrons which hold ionic bonds together, resulting in a repellant positive charge in the target which proceeds to tear itself apart. Due to the immense damage this can cause a biological entity if hit (Star Trek Vaporization of a phaser comes to mind) it is outlawed and considered a barbaric weapon. Additionally, shielding seems to be unusually effective against the incoming positrons.

Solar Ionization Cannon - While a Solar Ionization Reactor uses the corona metallic hydrogen of a fusion reaction as a source of power, a solar ionization cannon uses a magnetic field to direct the fusion reaction down a barrel with the corona metallic hydrogen is forced in front to act as a leading edge to the blast. As a result the weapon impacts in two stages, where the wedge of metallic hydrogen burns through the shields and the armor. The following fusion reaction destabilizes as it impacts resulting in a fusion explosion, often times inside the hull of the target, ripping it apart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:31 pm
How ironic. First Stellar chastized skuld about being too close to using a reference from ace combat, and now he's specificaly going full force. talk about changing gears over time.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Darth Fury

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:46 pm
stellarmagic
I believe Yellow 13 is the man once known as Demon Lord. I personally think Razgriz and Wardog squadrons to be the weakest Player Squadron of the whole series. lol.

Edge would wipe the floor with Yellow 13. End. Of. Story. twisted  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:34 am
I hope you mean Blaze, cause Edge is nothing more than a hapless wingman er woman.

No I'm not going to go all out Ace Combat rip off. I'll take my starting point from the source. Most all the bad guy ace squadrons (The Belkan and Erusian especially) are based off German World War II fighter squadrons. So can anyone say... Yellow nosed bastards? Gruppe Udet or Gruppe Nowotny?

EDIT: I'd appreciate some comments on my proposed OGG article.  

stellarmagic

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:15 pm
Can you please label, in the entry, what is and isn't canon?  
The Outer Rim

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff