Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Should fathers have a say in abortion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does a man have a say in the abortion of his child?
  Yes
  No
  Depends.
View Results

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:19 pm
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen
village midget
as far as the eating stuff goes for everybody who has mentioned it so far...we are animals, we are also omnivores, wishing you didn't have to eat to survive or feeling guilty about eating is symptomatic of a disdorder. humans are supposed to eat other creatures and plants it's a fundamental part of the original food chain. i can understand people who boycott certain food stuffs (like meat) because they don't wish to partake in farming practices etc. but feeling unhappy about killing to eat is contra-instinctive.

We are more closely related to frugivores than we are to omnivores.

You know, I think back to highschool science class, I remember herbivore, the eating of plants, carnivore, the eating of meat, and omnivore, both in one, but I don't believe we covered "frugivore", since this is the first time I remember hearing the term.

Care to explain that one?

Frugivores are fruit- and seed-eaters. It's an herbivorous branch, I guess. Our jaw types and organ structures, not to mention our teeth and such, all point to our ancestry being more likely tied to a frugivorous diet rather than an omnivorous one. Many dieticians believe humans only began eating meat because of plant scarcity at some point during our evolution and that it's a very recent addition to our general diet. Obviously humans can eat meat and digest it and the like, but that doesn't necessarily mean we were built to consume it, as our anatomy will tell us. The vast majority of nutrients found in meats can be found in non-meats as well, though I have heard of a few cases where meat-based nutrients were the only kind of that specific nutrient that certain people could eat - how true this is, I don't know.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:33 pm
Silver Screen
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen
village midget
as far as the eating stuff goes for everybody who has mentioned it so far...we are animals, we are also omnivores, wishing you didn't have to eat to survive or feeling guilty about eating is symptomatic of a disdorder. humans are supposed to eat other creatures and plants it's a fundamental part of the original food chain. i can understand people who boycott certain food stuffs (like meat) because they don't wish to partake in farming practices etc. but feeling unhappy about killing to eat is contra-instinctive.

You know, I think back to highschool science class, I remember herbivore, the eating of plants, carnivore, the eating of meat, and omnivore, both in one, but I don't believe we covered "frugivore", since this is the first time I remember hearing the term.

Frugivores are fruit- and seed-eaters. It's an herbivorous branch, I guess. Our jaw types and organ structures, not to mention our teeth and such, all point to our ancestry being more likely tied to a frugivorous diet rather than an omnivorous one. Many dieticians believe humans only began eating meat because of plant scarcity at some point during our evolution and that it's a very recent addition to our general diet. Obviously humans can eat meat and digest it and the like, but that doesn't necessarily mean we were built to consume it, as our anatomy will tell us. The vast majority of nutrients found in meats can be found in non-meats as well, though I have heard of a few cases where meat-based nutrients were the only kind of that specific nutrient that certain people could eat - how true this is, I don't know.

Well, ancestry aside, I know I'm a meat eater. I don't have too many meals that don't involve meat.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:04 pm
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen
village midget

Well, ancestry aside, I know I'm a meat eater. I don't have too many meals that don't involve meat.
Frugivore: one who dines on a budget.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:19 pm
I love how in every single abortion thread I manage to get the vegetarian/vegan/autotroph/WHATEVER talk started.

Back to the original topic though!

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

hallowed-sirene

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:29 pm
father has no say in abortion.. what's with him eek  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items