Submit

Which Shotgun?
  Remington 870
  Mossberg 590
View Results

Ms Truffle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:26 am
OberFeldwebel

The type of finish or metal treatment on it made an awful grinding noise when you cycled it.
Wat.

Something was wrong with that 870, then. That is not supposed to happen, and doesn't on mine.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:27 pm
Don't want to buy this, just spotted it and thought... WTF?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813523639.html

I like the crosshatching pattern, but that color is downright silly.  

ArmasTermin

owenmarco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:16 pm
ArmasTermin
Wal Marts around here stopped carrying firearms quite a while ago (except a couple muzzle loaders). I don't actually know why, but it kind of sucks. It'd be a great place for a deal on one.

I realized in a bigger picture of that combo that the porting is in the 28" barrel, off to both sides of the vented rib. I guess it releases some pressure caused from the choke? Or it could be to keep down muzzle rise, but since that would be lower than the 18" I don't see the point if it's for that.

Yeah, I had it in my head that I needed a super combat shotgun, but that combo looks just plain great to me. I should have listened to you a long time ago.
It's more of a gimmick than anything. At the level of pressure that shotguns work at, a compensated barrel is rather useless. Unlike rifles and pistols, which work at much higher pressures, shotguns simply don't generate enough pressure for the gas ejected from those ports to negate any muzzle flip. Largely, it's a "selling point" that is literally only there to be added onto the "features" list to make it sound good. You could always try for yourself and see if you know anyone with a PLAIN 28" barreled Mossberg to compare. The general consensus is, though, pressures aren't high enough.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:43 pm
I don't think Wal-Marts in California even sell guns anymore, or at least not real ones. Then again, with a Bass Pro Shops an hour from my house, why would I buy one from Wal-Mart anyways?

I really don't see the point of accessories on shotguns. The only thing mine will ever be used for is home defense and target practice, so honestly the only thing I'd consider putting on it would be a reflex sight. And seriously? A compensator on a shotgun? The recoil can't be THAT bad.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

owenmarco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:14 pm
Requiem in Mortis
I don't think Wal-Marts in California even sell guns anymore, or at least not real ones. Then again, with a Bass Pro Shops an hour from my house, why would I buy one from Wal-Mart anyways?

I really don't see the point of accessories on shotguns. The only thing mine will ever be used for is home defense and target practice, so honestly the only thing I'd consider putting on it would be a reflex sight. And seriously? A compensator on a shotgun? The recoil can't be THAT bad.
It's not for recoil, it's for muzzle flip. A muzzle brake, on the other hand, is for recoil. Mossberg puts them on the Roadblocker. And a .22.

Never underestimate the use of a good ammunition holder (between the hard plastic ones that attach to the receiver and the elastic sleeves, there are lots of options are different price points) and practice using it.

Oh, and often, Bass Pro will ream your a** on prices. That's why buy one from Walmart, or a dedicated gunshop.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:34 pm
Theoretically, I could call gun shops for price quotes tomorrow. That combo is about half the price I was expecting to pay, and more useful to me. Still love the wood stocks. Maybe I should wait for the gun show just to see what's there, but there's always the chance it wouldn't be had there anyway, or it'd be overpriced.

Also Sherlock Holmes was good. They didn't ruin it or anything!  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:25 pm
owenmarco
ArmasTermin
Wal Marts around here stopped carrying firearms quite a while ago (except a couple muzzle loaders). I don't actually know why, but it kind of sucks. It'd be a great place for a deal on one.

I realized in a bigger picture of that combo that the porting is in the 28" barrel, off to both sides of the vented rib. I guess it releases some pressure caused from the choke? Or it could be to keep down muzzle rise, but since that would be lower than the 18" I don't see the point if it's for that.

Yeah, I had it in my head that I needed a super combat shotgun, but that combo looks just plain great to me. I should have listened to you a long time ago.
It's more of a gimmick than anything. At the level of pressure that shotguns work at, a compensated barrel is rather useless. Unlike rifles and pistols, which work at much higher pressures, shotguns simply don't generate enough pressure for the gas ejected from those ports to negate any muzzle flip. Largely, it's a "selling point" that is literally only there to be added onto the "features" list to make it sound good. You could always try for yourself and see if you know anyone with a PLAIN 28" barreled Mossberg to compare. The general consensus is, though, pressures aren't high enough.
Mossberg will port any barrel for you for $35, so you could test it yourself if you cared enough. razz  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:39 pm
Fresnel
owenmarco
ArmasTermin

Mossberg will port any barrel for you for $35, so you could test it yourself if you cared enough. razz
I would want another barrel for it, but I haven't looked to see if they sell more of the 20" 8-round barrels. If it's as worthless as I highly believe it is, it would add another step in cleaning (cleaning the holes to prevent corrosion). Not to mention I'm using 2 3/4 #8 loads, and 2 3/4 reduced recoil #00, neither of which have appreciable muzzle flip.  

owenmarco

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:50 pm
owenmarco
Fresnel
owenmarco
ArmasTermin

I would want another barrel for it, but I haven't looked to see if they sell more of the 20" 8-round barrels. If it's as worthless as I highly believe it is, it would add another step in cleaning (cleaning the holes to prevent corrosion). Not to mention I'm using 2 3/4 #8 loads, and 2 3/4 reduced recoil #00, neither of which have appreciable muzzle flip.
Most of the muzzle flip I've found in shotguns is the flip caused by my shoulder giving a long travel to reduce felt recoil. Porting would do nothing to prevent that.

Though it DOES look awesome. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:27 pm
Fresnel
owenmarco
Fresnel
owenmarco
ArmasTermin

Most of the muzzle flip I've found in shotguns is the flip caused by my shoulder giving a long travel to reduce felt recoil. Porting would do nothing to prevent that.

Though it DOES look awesome. xd
It's just a line of holes on the top, most likely angled at 45 degrees (or maybe that's only if you have a vent rib). Don't know how it can look awesome.

The local shop does it reasonably cheap, and they also do several kinds of refinishing (they highly recommend Cerakote, and it's damn cheap too), but I still wouldn't want to try it without another barrel. Looking at Mossberg's site, they don't actually sell more barrels for the 8-shot models of 500, you would likely have to special order them with a call to get the part number for them.  

owenmarco

Buying and Advice

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces